Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the EU destroyed Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Don2012 wrote: »
    You are missing the bigger picture. That Ireland is gone forever. That togetherness and proud to Irish is gone forever.
    No. It's not. If Ireland had the same results in a world cup today, that togetherness would be back. In spades.
    If you look in the right places it's always there, but for a lot of people it was only temorary anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I haven't even mentioned the Church so why are you?

This was a video from the ninties, if this doesn't make you see what we've lost I don't know what will. Unless you're a liberal who loves the EU.

https://youtu.be/fEkc8dGF2ds

Big difference is a lot of Irish can now actually afford to go over and watch the team at the European/World cup, rather than settling for a pub and dancing on a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

derfderf wrote: »
    Big difference is a lot of Irish can now actually afford to go over and watch the team at the European/World cup, rather than settling for a pub and dancing on a roundabout.
    They could then as well.
    It was in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

You’d think you’d be tired after the walk out to RTE in the sunshine and all the shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

You’d think you’d be tired after the walk out to RTE in the sunshine and all the shouting.

What's that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Has the EU destroyed Ireland? Have we lost our identity, culture and heritage because of EU membership?

No we haven't.

The Irish still drink in excess, still celebrate the most mundane things, still love sport, still celebrate St Patrick's day etc etc like they did.
    I think Ireland doesn't feel Irish anymore. That sense of community, togetherness and love of country is gone.
    Ireland has been taken over be Liberalism and communism is creeping in.

If people loved the country so much why did so many leave in the 80s?

What is liberalism, explain it?

Communism creeping in where? We had actual left wing parties 30-40 years ago like Labour and more far left in workers party. Today we have faux left wing party in Sinn Féin and few centre left talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

The idea that Merkel, Macron and all the other leaders around Europe are Communists is absolutely laughable. No wonder this thread was made at 2am.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The laws and restrictions imposed on us for months now, is straight out of the Communist playbook.

Aside from the fact that they were enacted to counter the most devastating pandemic of 100 years, by elected officials under the advice of medical experts.

To demonstrate how non-communist this was, the government changed during the window you talk about after free and open elections had been held.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Anyone talking about "liberals" in the context of Irish politics has had their mind absolutely poisoned by American discourse.

Suckit wrote: »
    They could then as well.
    It was in Italy.

In 1990, a flight to Italy was £300-400. One way.

Jockser went to Stuttgart in a van. Italy is much further than Stuttgart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

In 1990, a flight to Italy was £300-400. One way.

Jockser went to Stuttgart in a van. Italy is much further than Stuttgart.

Not that much difference between Dublin to Stuttgart and Dublin to Milan.
    Both comfortably drivable in two days.

Not that much difference between Dublin to Stuttgart and Dublin to Milan.
    Both comfortably drivable in two days.

To Milan is an additional 400km. And to Naples is about 800km more.

But you raise a good point. As EU members, Irish citizens keep driving when they cross the border.

Were it not for EU membership or the EU in general, Jockser could be sat at border control for a day at each border between France and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

You are missing the bigger picture. That Ireland is gone forever. That togetherness and proud to Irish is gone forever.
    Your sense of togetherness with Irish people and your pride in Ireland may be gone - you don't speak for me or for those of us who do have a certain pride in Ireland and have a sense of togetherness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP if that video is the crux of your "argument" of the lost good old days, you may be disappointed to see videos of a similar amount of people out at the very same location celebrating Big Jack as recently as a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Don2012 wrote:
    I think Ireland doesn't feel Irish anymore. That sense of community, togetherness and love of country is gone. Ireland has been taken over be Liberalism and communism is creeping in.

Maybe this is all just in your head, I feel irish in Ireland, things change over time, including you, eu membership has played a critical role in our rapid prosperity, and it's been astonishing in such a short space of time. we should be proud of ourselves, and our membership of the union, it should be protected with everything we got, because without the union, we would be nothing, an economic and social back water.

Elements of liberailism have been a great thing for our nation, giving us more freedom and prosperity. Communism! please explain this one?

Hope the OPs hangover isn't too bad this morning. The EUs fault if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This was a video from the ninties, if this doesn't make you see what we've lost I don't know what will. Unless you're a liberal who loves the EU.

Doesn't look too different to the night of the All Ireland Final in Limerick in 2018.

Ireland is a way better place now. Ireland in thee 90s was a dump where most of the population would run a mile from an something as extravagant as a ciabatta or a latte for fear they would be talked about.

Also I hate this idea of what's Irish. I'm Irish and from a family that is purely Irish going back generations and Ireland to me is an open modern European country but somehow that always gets fobbed off as less Irish than the xenophobes Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

In France they speak French
    German in Germany
    Polish in Poland
    Portuguese in Portugal
    Dutch in the Netherlands
    Spanish in Spain
    Italian in Italy
    Swedish in Sweden
    Norwegian in Norway
    Etc Etc

In Ireland we speak English

fash wrote: »
    Your sense of togetherness with Irish people and your pride in Ireland may be gone - you don't speak for me or for those of us who do have a certain pride in Ireland and have a sense of togetherness.

Ireland is more together than ever. Old Ireland shunned and backstabbed anyone who was different and I don't just mean gay people and ethnic minorities I mean all the different little sub cultures and people of different taste to the norm

The entitlement that started with the tiger and has lived on long after is what has ruined Ireland. The people are the worst aspect.

• Advertisement

German in Germany
    Polish in Poland
    Portuguese in Portugal
    Dutch in the Netherlands
    Spanish in Spain
    Italian in Italy
    Swedish in Sweden
    Norwegian in Norway
    Etc Etc

Same in America, Australia, New Zealand, large parts of India.

Ireland has been speaking English since the latter part of the 19th century. Dont think the EU has invented time travel yet.

Same in America, Australia, New Zealand, large parts of India.

Ireland has been speaking English since the latter part of the 19th century. Dont think the EU has invented time travel yet.

A tangent. Off you went

Seems it's ok for people on here to use the American term "right-wing" but not liberal.

The term right wing is a French term. It comes from the first meeting of the French National Assembly after the revolution when the monarchists and conservatives all sat to the speakers right and the republicans and radicals sat in a group to his left. It was a seemingly unimportant decision to sit with political friends that has stayed with us through history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

German in Germany
    Polish in Poland
    Portuguese in Portugal
    Dutch in the Netherlands
    Spanish in Spain
    Italian in Italy
    Swedish in Sweden
    Norwegian in Norway
    Etc Etc

Let's finish the "etc etc"

In Austria they speak German
    In Switzerland they speak German and French
    In Belgium they speak French and Flemish
    In Luxemburg they speak French (I think!l
    In China they speak dozens of distinct languages

So.......what exactly is the point you are making?

Where is the communism?

Ireland is one of the only countries that have NO opposition, it's a joke at this stage!!

Have Sinn Fein disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

We definitely lost something from the 90s, no argument there.

We lost around 1% of our population each year.

Ireland was so great, they 1% of our population upped and left each year.

Bring back the 90s.

padser wrote: »

In Austria they speak German
    In Switzerland they speak German and French
    In Belgium they speak French and Flemish
    In Luxemburg they speak French (I think!l
    In China they speak dozens of distinct languages

Austrians speak German as they were part of the franco empire and later the Bavarian (I had to Google)

The Switzerland has 4 national languages. All equal status

In Luxembourg they speak Luxembourgish. A west German dialect

The Chinese? Sure that place is huge.

"So what is the point you are making"

Why so aggressive? Not everything has to be an argument or a gotcha.

We speak English in Ireland. The first list speak their own languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Opposition my ass!!!!!!!!!
    They all are bought and paid for by the EU, they all support the same policies now. Look, the silent majority have no voice and have had enough, believe me I'm one of them.

Where is your evidence for this? We are at man in the pub level of discussion here.

• Advertisement

A tangent. Off you went

I thought I was addressing your point :confused:

padser wrote: »

Seems I'm not the only one confused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement