Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

My understanding is that if we see 100+ cases a day we go back into Phase 2. I presume that's 100 cases a day over a period of time as opposed to a once off which has already nearly happened.

I had intended on being back in the office 3 - 5 days a week come September but am now operating on the likelihood that it's WFH all through the winter into next year.

If people don't adapt much more effectively or a viable vaccine becomes available the Government are going to have to start enforcing measures much more strictly.

Surely if you've rolled into a new period, with no change in the terms or conditions, that should be considered the start of the lease, not now? They need to notify in advance, prior to any change in charges too. They can't just drop it on you.

Interesting. The 4% increase was supposed to happen in April, so it was notified? Decided to get some more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

My understanding is that if we see 100+ cases a day we go back into Phase 2. I presume that's 100 cases a day over a period of time as opposed to a once off which has already nearly happened.

I had intended on being back in the office 3 - 5 days a week come September but am now operating on the likelihood that it's WFH all through the winter into next year.

If people don't adapt much more effectively or a viable vaccine becomes available the Government are going to have to start enforcing measures much more strictly.

I gave up on going back to the office, for the rest of the year at least, quite a while ago. They've re-opened a limited number of desks in our place and sent out a video guide of the procedures in place to get into the office etc. Not worth it IMO, I'm quite happy at home. I was 20 weeks home the other day and calculated I've saved approximately €450 on bus fare alone and approximately 7000 minutes not commuting in and out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wife's company basically told everyone that they are working from home until spring next year. This was a decision taken a couple of months ago. Full office fitout completed in January at a cost of over a million and it's sitting empty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wife's company basically told everyone that they are working from home until spring next year. This was a decision taken a couple of months ago. Full office fitout completed in January at a cost of over a million and it's sitting empty!!

Wonder if your missus and mine work for the same crowd (albeit in different locations)
    They've told their staff that it'll be February at the earliest before full return to office, and they've currently work ongoing to put a state of the art gym on site.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Wonder if your missus and mine work for the same crowd (albeit in different locations)
    They've told their staff that it'll be February at the earliest before full return to office, and they've currently work ongoing to put a state of the art gym on site.

Could have been the same until you mentioned gym!! The place was a ramshackle for years and they only got to use the new facilities for a few weeks before they were all at home.

I'm in construction and it's mad to see the changes in office layouts in the past few months. We finished a fitout in eastpoint last week with lots of little 2 seat "pods" which are now basically redundant due to social distance measures.

There's going to be huge changes in working environments going forward. Simple things like door handles may be replaced with automatic opening doors or push plates where you can use a forearm to open the door. Bathroom designs with zig zag wall details rather than doors for privacy on entry. Architect told us last week that it will be a challenge figuring out ways to have as little amount of "touch" points as possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could have been the same until you mentioned gym!! The place was a ramshackle for years and they only got to use the new facilities for a few weeks before they were all at home.

I'm in construction and it's mad to see the changes in office layouts in the past few months. We finished a fitout in eastpoint last week with lots of little 2 seat "pods" which are now basically redundant due to social distance measures.

There's going to be huge changes in working environments going forward. Simple things like door handles may be replaced with automatic opening doors or push plates where you can use a forearm to open the door. Bathroom designs with zig zag wall details rather than doors for privacy on entry. Architect told us last week that it will be a challenge figuring out ways to have as little amount of "touch" points as possible.

My office used use fingerprints to get in and out instead of badges.

That is no more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

DGRulz wrote: »
    I was 20 weeks home the other day and calculated I've saved approximately €450 on bus fare alone and approximately 7000 minutes not commuting in and out of town.

Yeah, but how many of those 7000 minutes did you just waste working that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's nothing, our place are currently building a second office in the city centre with around 800 capacity, costing about 200 million and they've told us we'll likely be working remotely at least part time for the next few years.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, but how many of those 7000 minutes did you just waste working that out?

About 1 :P still saved 6999.

• Advertisement

Kildare, Laois and Offaly on lockdown for 2 weeks from midnight.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Kildare, Laois and Offaly on lockdown for 2 weeks from midnight.

I suspect we'll have the 20 mile restriction back everywhere else if things keep going as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I suspect we'll have the 20 mile restriction back everywhere else if things keep going as is.

Now we're out of it a while, no one will observe it even if it's brought back in without serious enforcement. It's like the mini lockdown in the three counties. It'll be ignored without heavy Garda presence. I wonder do they have their increased powers back.

Now we're out of it a while, no one will observe it even if it's brought back in without serious enforcement. It's like the mini lockdown in the three counties. It'll be ignored without heavy Garda presence. I wonder do they have their increased powers back.

Can't speak for anyone else but I won't ignore it and most people I know are also pretty clear on their intentions to follow government advice. I think plenty of people will comply to be honest albeit I expect restrictions will ultimately need to be enforced mostly because of a minority who will dismiss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can't speak for anyone else but I won't ignore it and most people I know are also pretty clear on their intentions to follow government advice. I think plenty of people will comply to be honest albeit I expect restrictions will ultimately need to be enforced mostly because of a minority who will dismiss them.

Yeah, I was being slightly hyperbolic when I said "no one". I'll also be following the recommendations, as I have from the start. I'm from Kildare, by the way.

I think the number of people who will ignore them will by far far higher than before though.

Mate in work texted me earlier. Wondering was work considered an essential journey...he lives in celbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think the number of people who will ignore them will by far far higher than before though.

There will be no real enforcement so compliance will be correspondingly low. Unfortunately that's where we're at now. This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There will be no real enforcement so compliance will be correspondingly low. Unfortunately that's where we're at now. This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

You are a beacon of hope FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The problem is that we simply dont have the resources to enforce this stuff the way it needs to be enforced. We just dont police that way. Our Gardai & laws are, by design, a lot more passive and collegial (not the right word, but you get the point) than strict and combative. The aim was always to work with the public rather than strictly police them.

Now there's def an argument for that approach being outdated, but that doesn't change where we are now. Which is simply not in a place to do a whole lot else.

That said, people shouldn't need to be forced to do the right thing. If they need that then the problem certainly doesn't lie with the police or the Gov. Some personal responsibility would go a hell of a long way. Without that, there's really only so much that can be done.

awec wrote: »
    You are a beacon of hope FF!

Well, 174 new cases today, 110 of which are in Kildare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

All contracted pre-lockdown.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mostly from the kildare chilling meat factory....

Four different meat plants in the Midlands responsible for these major cluster outbreaks.

Obviously their processes and policies are not at all good enough, and should be completely shut down until they can be shown to be gold standard.

The chilling factory was still running as normal today....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Mostly from the kildare chilling meat factory....

Four different meat plants in the Midlands responsible for these major cluster outbreaks.

Obviously their processes and policies are not at all good enough, and should be completely shut down until they can be shown to be gold standard.

The chilling factory was still running as normal today....

Jesus why are they not **** and the workers on the PUP?

Is that the big plant just before the Curragh in Kildare Syd?

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus why are they not **** and the workers on the PUP?

Is that the big plant just before the Curragh in Kildare Syd?

Yes it is... Gives off a wonderful aroma on a sunny day....

They should all be closed immediately until they can show complete compliance.... But they aren't....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Contact tracing seems to be working which is good. But that's only as long as spread doesn't become out of control. I think some people are starting to overlook that. It's great we can identify close contacts, test them and isolate them quickly. But if our own safety standards slip we'll very quickly overwhelm the tracers capacity to identify and isolate

Have they released any figures yet on how much the app is contributing to the tracing efforts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Have they released any figures yet on how much the app is contributing to the tracing efforts?

About two weeks ago they responded to a BBC article saying 91 people had been notified as a result of the app.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes it is... Gives off a wonderful aroma on a sunny day....

They should all be closed immediately until they can show complete compliance.... But they aren't....

The thing is, I'll bet the site is compliant. I'd say there is a mountain of PPE out there and perspex screens between every work station. But once you turn it over to people to abide by the rules, it all goes out the window.

And if you're some Brazilian guy working for minimum wage, and you have a scratchy throat or a bit of a fever, are you going to stay home and lose out on your pay, all for the greater good?

The idea of personal responsibility is where it all falls down. We're all guilty of it to greater or lesser extents.

The thing is, I'll bet the site is compliant. I'd say there is a mountain of PPE out there and perspex screens between every work station. But once you turn it over to people to abide by the rules, it all goes out the window.

And if you're some Brazilian guy working for minimum wage, and you have a scratchy throat or a bit of a fever, are you going to stay home and lose out on your pay, all for the greater good?

The idea of personal responsibility is where it all falls down. We're all guilty of it to greater or lesser extents.

From May, at the height of the covid paranoia

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/14/everyones-on-top-of-you-sneezing-and-coughing-life-inside-irelands-meat-plants-covid-19

Imagine what its like now....

• Advertisement

Am I right to say meat-packing facilities are the only major workplaces where on-site work was deemed essential, AND that largely require temperature controlled, recycled air?

That's the main problem, imo. Long shifts breathing in everyone's air, and you viral load multiplying before any hope of an immunol response kicks in.

Cruise ships on land, basically.

Advertisement