Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I assume in an effort to reduce load on the databases they’ve set up read-replicas and they aren’t replicating currently so sometimes you’re seeing one that’s way behind. Either that or they’ve a horrific cache invalidation mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Lads, what do I actually do as a confirmation sponsor?

I'm a filthy atheist.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

troyzer wrote: »

I'm a filthy atheist.

Hand over vast amount of cash ( well vast to a 12 year old)
    Pretend not to be an atheist for duration of ceremony.

Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm a filthy atheist.

I did it for my god child and I'm the same, hadn't stepped foot in a church outside of weddings or christenings since I made my own confirmation.

There's nothing to do really, you just need to show up to whatever mass they need you to be at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

38 minutes of bewilderment:

• Advertisement

I'm a filthy atheist.

Make sure you carefully learn the movements of the cupping ceremony, the priest will be very upset if you mishandle his junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm a filthy atheist.

After the mask and paddle ceremony, all you really have to do is the speech. Very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    After the mask and paddle ceremony, all you really have to do is the speech. Very straightforward.

Shut up Buer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I'm a filthy atheist.

Stand there nod, smile for photos, get the kid a good present and you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aloooof wrote: »

Yep. All anyone can say to that is...

Mother. Of. God.

I dont think I've ever seen someone as utterly lacking in any form of understanding of anything ever. That he also thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread is surely evidence of the most extreme form of narcissistic behavioural disorder. I found myself cracking up a few times, but how any democratic country could previoisly conspire to electing this moron while also still conspire to potentially reelect him serves to make me seriously question democracy as it currently stands. Because if it can result in this it is seriously, seriously flawed.

A must watch for anyone with even a vague interest in American politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm all Trumped out. I can't watch anything involved with him and I zone out of any conversations where he gets brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

aloooof wrote: »

Brilliant.
    If he does many more interviews like that he'll lose by 20 points in November.

(assuming he doesn't find a way to prevent the election from happening between now and then.)

Edit: outstanding interviewer. That's a kiwi accent I think?
    Must look out for him. Jonathan something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Up in Portstewart for the week. Really nice spot, well impressed. The golf course looks tasty but I was told in advance not to bring the clubs, which is fair enough for a family holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm all Trumped out. I can't watch anything involved with him and I zone out of any conversations where he gets brought up.

I hear you. I've gotten a bit like that over the past couple of months. The wife has a couple of friends who talk about him a lot. Every time they come over, Trump will inevitably come up in the conversation. And the thing is they have nothing new to say. They just repeat the same crap they have been saying for the past few years, bitching about him and saying that America is broken. I end up zoning out and finding something else to do. Its good that there has been soccer on TV most nights because I just excuse myself to go watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

kuang1 wrote: »

Australian, I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Brilliant.
    If he does many more interviews like that he'll lose by 20 points in November.

(assuming he doesn't find a way to prevent the election from happening between now and then.)

jonathan swan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

At this point, I can't imagine (m)any voters are on the fence about Trump; it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's pretty exhausting and that, as much as anything, might swing the vote in Biden's favour. (Tho you'd imagine the coronavirus response would have a major impact too).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm in that rare mindset where I feel the utmost sympathy for our government. The decision to keep pubs shut isn't an easy one to make as it effects the livelihoods of many. They're already getting pelted online over the decision. But I can't see how they could make any other decision. Cases are on the rise and while they may be centred around food processing plants for now, there's no guarantees that it would stay that way. Opening up pubs only adds fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Admit it. You knew that gawd awful twang was an Aussie accent but just in case you said Kiwi.

I'm gonna miss trump. I can't get enough of his blundering. The greatest reality TV star of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The cricket team giving England a proper game here on Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I have limited exposure to Trump outside my own interest. Which comes and goes. If I'm a bit fed up I won't bother for a bit and that's a full on break from the saga until I take an interest again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The cricket team giving England a proper game here on Sky Sports

Fabulous innings from Stirling. But you'd worry that now he's out we don't have the batsmen to see the game home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Never mind Donald Turnip, we have our very own root vegetable causing death and financial ruin and utter stupidity.

This for instance.
    The UK government web page on how Covid-19 deaths are tallied

"The data do not include deaths of people who:
    had COVID-19 but had not been tested,
    those people who died but were tested positive by a non-NHS or Public Health laboratory,
    or people who had been tested negative and subsequently caught the virus and died."

The more I read about Johnson and Trump the more convinced I am that they are joined at the hip. They are living on a different planet to the rest of us. I am really concerned for this country with this fool and his cronies in charge. I have only ever known one other bunch of equally lying, conniving of charlatans. All I can say is God help us all over the next four years.

The fake Prime minister is a complete disgrace to the country. Triumphalist bluster is the only language he speaks - he knows no other. Covid 19 is merely the opening act to Boris Johnson's odyssey of massive incompetence.
    We are but months away from the national calamity of Brexit, which this psychopath has done everything in his power to bring crashing down upon upon us by January the 1st, 2021.

He is taking us away from the worlds most successful free trading market, based upon his lies and fantasies. This will bring massive harm to most British families and businesses and have seriously bad outcomes for Ireland. He is bringing the mother of all depressions down upon us, our families, and our futures.

He has no plan nor has he ever had one other than his very unpleasant and false boosterism and faker sound bites and he is a lazy and totally dishonourable and despicablet charlatan who is surrounded by a group of terrible third rate muppets.

The Conservative Party died when it voted in Boris Johnson as their leader as its now full of vote leave died in the wool zealots and UKIP loons and any reasonable moderate conservatives are now out of the party unless they sold themselves for a grubby Lords peerage.

Now it is a ragbag of spivs , intellectual lightweights and Wide boys. Fatboy Turd's bluster was laced with the implication that criticism was unpatriotic.This is the worst of it - being gaslighted and shamed into supporting the government because it's the government, not considering the evidence before you and deciding on that. Intellectual curiosity replaced by nationalistic credulity.

Personally l deeply dread the future especially for the young with these little Englanders now in charge of this country for what is likely to be for at least 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Clegg wrote: »
    Fabulous innings from Stirling. But you'd worry that now he's out we don't have the batsmen to see the game home.

Tector and O Brien did very well. That’s a huge win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wow...what an effort...de facto world champions!

Glad Stirling finally did himself justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

TBF, I think Trump has shown himself to be a man of his word. He promised his leadership would make the US really annoying, and he's definitely succeeded. Make America grate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Admit it. You knew that gawd awful twang was an Aussie accent but just in case you said Kiwi.

I did not have sexual relations with that accent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Heh, so my brother just got me a Glasow Warriors jersey for my birthday. Jokes on him, in a couple of months time, I'll get him an Edinburgh one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I hear you. I've gotten a bit like that over the past couple of months. The wife has a couple of friends who talk about him a lot. Every time they come over, Trump will inevitably come up in the conversation. And the thing is they have nothing new to say. They just repeat the same crap they have been saying for the past few years, bitching about him and saying that America is broken. I end up zoning out and finding something else to do. Its good that there has been soccer on TV most nights because I just excuse myself to go watch that.

It's hard not to be somewhat immune to the Trump situation at this point. It's a saturation response where the conversation rarely changes. It's fun and interesting to see his latest gaffe but there are people who are absolutely consumed with discussing him on a daily basis, seeking it out online etc. It's not healthy.

I've lost count of how many times I've been told that his downfall is imminent and he's going to be removed from office. I'm completely ambivalent to it at this stage and I'm baffled as to how people ever though he was going to be removed until the end of his term and, even then, it's certainly not certain that he'll lose the election.

I'm deadly serious when I say I believe Trump could kill someone and he would not be removed from office.

Advertisement