Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Draftkings golf

• 05-08-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

There was some discussion on the pga tour thread on DK over the last few weeks so I said I'd set up a thread on it. Ramblings on strategy, weekly updates or whatever!

I'd normally enter around 4 teams each week. Maybe 2 in the $20 contests and 2 in the $5/$3 contests. No real strategy per se, just go on gut feeling and would have a read of what some of the tipsters on twitter have to say (Ben coley, Niall Lyons, Steve Rawlings and a few more).

Haven't had any big wins to date, probably down a small amount since I started approx 2 years ago (my NBA returns have been even worse although for some reason I've fared better in NFL contests). Will probably pick a week where I go all out with 20+ teams, albeit too busy in work at the moment to allow the time for it this week.

I used to listen to listen to the fantasy golf mailbag but that's gone now since a few weeks ago. I know Pat Mayo has his podcast but I just can't listen to him. Any other good podcasts out there?

As an aside has anyone subscribed to Mike Millar's (smartbetgolf) new subscription service? Used to find his weekly tournament sheets very handy so I probably will stump up for it soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I’m playing two teams this week in the milli maker and entering those in two L Leagues.
    First Cut pick some good ones. Also hard on the ears
    https://youtu.be/HVRW606bM7c
    @nagelsbagels show on Periscope is funny “pick your own losers”

Tour junkies can do good podcasts from time to time and give good insights from caddies when they get them, there show is a little ott but can be good.

Awseome. Con have a YouTube channel that releases a few shows a week but the main one is much more palatable and low key if you don't like mayo.

Action network golf used to have an ex player who didn't make it on there golf podcast but I haven't listened to it in ages, I found the info slipped as it evolved but I might actually listen in again to see if it's improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I've gone deep this week for the major!

I have 2 x Milly Maker

40 x $5 $500k event

4 x Euro Tour event

I've only being playing about a month, not much joy so far. I subscribe to Fantasy National for stats but mainly to utilise their line up generator and projected ownership tools. If you are entering 10 or 20 plus teams the generator is useful so the sub is worth it imo.

I listen to pat Mayo, he's a bit shouty alright but I like him tbh, It's entertaining enough and decent content!

In my 40 teams this week , it's probably not that creative but I have Brooks, Thomas and Xander in about 35% of lineups, will need them all to make the cut at a minimum! I have zero of Rory or Tiger and very little of Bryson, so want them out of it!!

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

I've gone deep this week for the major!

I have 2 x Milly Maker

40 x $5 $500k event

4 x Euro Tour event

I've only being playing about a month, not much joy so far. I subscribe to Fantasy National for stats but mainly to utilise their line up generator and projected ownership tools. If you are entering 10 or 20 plus teams the generator is useful so the sub is worth it imo.

I listen to pat Mayo, he's a bit shouty alright but I like him tbh, It's entertaining enough and decent content!

In my 40 teams this week , it's probably not that creative but I have Brooks, Thomas and Xander in about 35% of lineups, will need them all to make the cut at a minimum! I have zero of Rory or Tiger and very little of Bryson, so want them out of it!!

Good luck all.

Yeah I've been meaning to subscribe to fantasy national, just haven't had the time recently to warrant it. Ah tbf he is good and entertaining it's just his actual voice I can't handle.

Big on Xander this week too together with day & Lowry.

I usually enter the euro tour ones aswell but the size/payouts recently make it a bit pointless.

O ya this is the site I use to check ownership after the event is live

https://www.fantasylabs.com/pga/contest-ownership/

and on this bit if you type in your username check the %s you own of guys and you can see if or how many times a lineup has been duped in the big tournaments

https://www.fantasylabs.com/pga/contests-dashboard/

• Advertisement

O ya this is the site I use to check ownership after the event is live

https://www.fantasylabs.com/pga/contest-ownership/

and on this bit if you type in your username check the %s you own of guys and you can see if or how many times a lineup has been duped in the big tournaments

https://www.fantasylabs.com/pga/contests-dashboard/

Had noticed those sites been tweeted a bit alright but handy to utilise it now myself, cheers.

Another one I follow on Twitter is @cutsweats, it just gives you an idea of what percentage of teams are 6/6 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If you were to explain draft kings strategy to a dummie, how would you explain it. How does the scoring ect work?

I remember briefly looking at it a couple of years ago but never signed up

redzerdrog wrote: »
    If you were to explain draft kings strategy to a dummie, how would you explain it. How does the scoring ect work?

I remember briefly looking at it a couple of years ago but never signed up

I'm new to it myself, so I just registered an account and had a look around the site, there are all types of buyins from 0.25c to $7.5k and everything in between, also different comps with how many teams you can enter, some with 1, 3 , 20 or even 150, it's like a poker site if you're familiar with those, different buyins , different prizepools, , larger fields, higher variance etc..

picking a team is like fantasy football, 50m budget to pick 6 players, I suppose two main strategies for picking a team, one is 'stars and scrubs' so you have two top end elite players and try and fill the rest with low priced dodgy players, or else a more balanced team with mid range players, key thing is trying to get all 6 players making the cut, believe me it's not easy! You won't be winning anything meaningful if you don't get 6/6 through, you can still cash with 5 or 4 sometimes! Anything less and you're pretty much done.

Scoring wise is standard enough for the 4 day comps ( you can play comps with scoring for only day 1 , day 2 day 3 or day 4 individually too)

FJEf1x2nfrVfE5cDY6CKyG22GaLyCRSzQaJ7zYQZdW8VCp9bNxybT-L2i1yTjEjBhhE2-EL7NYTsIy8q_XzFTP5dviWnZxUNbI5VYBND722VEq1cq5ExxVLMBtdTK2HcQXxRXAyIh6oy-cn7US4HgnQ

That's sort of the basics, if you got into it it can be very stargetic and nuanced, theres lots of podcasts and sites out there to educate yourself, as I mentioned earlier Fantasy national is a great site, but no point going on it or looking at it until you see whether you're interested in draftkings. If I was you I'd enter a couple of teams in some cheap comps and just get a feel for the scoring and gameplay and try to learn where you're going wrong (if you are )

Couple of years old but i found it informative, probably a bit much for someone who's never played the game but if you get into it, it might be worth a watch when you get your bearings.

• Advertisement

Just 2 things to add to PUs great posts.

If you are making multiple teams you dont want to have all different players on each team as in the long run you will just be paying the rake, in something like the milly maker with poor payout structures except for first, you want a fairly tight core of players, so when you hit you actually make money and hope fully have a big ticket.

You can spread a little more in smaller fields as hitting a low owned winner can get you close to bigger prizes, but you still need some conformity.

You will if you get into it and playing multiple line ups need to get a grasp on ownership, as having teams full of high ownership players just means you will be splitting too much of the money too often, (that's not to say its wrong to play high owned players you just need to throw in some low ones with them or leave some salary behind) 300 or 400 is enough even in the biggest tounis to make you about 80% on going that route alone.

https://twitter.com/SkyHookDFS/status/1291374304836431872?s=20

Worth a read of that thread today to understand it a little better and that dudes a good follow

So if you play showdown and given how good a putter he usually is Hatton is a lock for me at least (possible long shot bet)

For myself watching today I liked Rose he can get hot with the irons and drove it well enough putted well also

Cantlay I'm very biased against but will. Throw him in a line up

And I'm generally a fan of guys who finish strong and cone our early so garcia played his last 4 holes pretty well and will be trying to shoot low tomorrow, this can work out either way a lot but he will be flag hunting.

We may see more accessible pins and tea boxes tomorrow as the weather is fairer through out the day

Just 2 things to add to PUs great posts.

If you are making multiple teams you dont want to have all different players on each team as in the long run you will just be paying the rake, in something like the milly maker with poor payout structures except for first, you want a fairly tight core of players, so when you hit you actually make money and hope fully have a big ticket.

You can spread a little more in smaller fields as hitting a low owned winner can get you close to bigger prizes, but you still need some conformity.

You will if you get into it and playing multiple line ups need to get a grasp on ownership, as having teams full of high ownership players just means you will be splitting too much of the money too often, (that's not to say its wrong to play high owned players you just need to throw in some low ones with them or leave some salary behind) 300 or 400 is enough even in the biggest tounis to make you about 80% on going that route alone.

I could have swore I linked a pic of the scoring structure last night too but it has vanished!?!

Very good post there Mick and definitely the advice regards ownership is spot on, I was just advising him from a dummy point of view as requested, yours is for the next level after he breaks himself in! But still very informative!

Regards the ownership if I like a player and he's projecting at say 18% then I will be sure to have at least 30 or 40% ownership in my line ups and make sure I'm 'overweight' on the projection!that's some of the buzzwords I learned in that video I linked above!

So if you play showdown and given how good a putter he usually is Hatton is a lock for me at least (possible long shot bet)

For myself watching today I liked Rose he can get hot with the irons and drove it well enough putted well also

Cantlay I'm very biased against but will. Throw him in a line up

And I'm generally a fan of guys who finish strong and cone our early so garcia played his last 4 holes pretty well and will be trying to shoot low tomorrow, this can work out either way a lot but he will be flag hunting.

We may see more accessible pins and tea boxes tomorrow as the weather is fairer through out the day

Lads that make the cut on the number and then get an early start in potentially calmer conditions or fresh greens is something I like to go for myself! They are obviously under less pressure to play well too as they're not in the tournament as such!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

How do you do Head to Heads lads?
    & Could we do our own Boards league?

CMcsporty wrote: »
    How do you do Head to Heads lads?
    & Could we do our own Boards league?

Not sure if you can setup private games tbh never tried but even the likes of the bigger twitter people only get there own tournaments to run.

Head to heads are just the 50/50s, there should be loads in the lobby id imagine but i never play them.

200k tomoro for the showdown

Going to mix in a few long hitters, with good putters (potential easy pin positions)

And always on sunday showdown you need a player in the top 2 probably need the winner tomoro given its not a birdie fest

Wont tip anyone and slightly goes against what i just said but Fleetwood loves a bounce back for 2nd and he was hitting the ball well before today.

Playing him and day in my teams with some dj, will try avoid other chalk with some bullets

200k tomoro for the showdown

Going to mix in a few long hitters, with good putters (potential easy pin positions)

And always on sunday showdown you need a player in the top 2 probably need the winner tomoro given its not a birdie fest

Wont tip anyone and slightly goes against what i just said but Fleetwood loves a bounce back for 2nd and he was hitting the ball well before today.

Playing him and day in my teams with some dj, will try avoid other chalk with some bullets

Good luck with that, I'm not going to bother with the showdown today! I'm having a poor enough week, just gonna take my losses! Not sure if I will be able to see the conclusion tonight either, I'm in work at 5 in the morning!

P.s is that captain contest new this week? Can't say I've noticed it before tbh.

Good luck with that, I'm not going to bother with the showdown today! I'm having a poor enough week, just gonna take my losses! Not sure if I will be able to see the conclusion tonight either, I'm in work at 5 in the morning!

P.s is that captain contest new this week? Can't say I've noticed it before tbh.

O ya they are new heard about them, bring a better dynamic to showdown now given the small field side and larger fields picking non duplicate teams was a bit of a nightmare

Jesus 5, that's harsh ya it finished closer to half 3 last night you'd be better getting up early then staying up to watch it

• Advertisement

Well, are we playing this week?

I have 20 x $3 $200k contest

I have 20 x $4 $25k contest

Also just put all 40 teams into the $50k mini max, 50c per team.

Will also stick 4 or 5 teams in the $8 Euro contest

Tactically, I'm trying something slightly different, normally I'm trying to cover too many big name players and spreading it out too much, it hasn't really been working, so this week I've decided to use Simpson and Reed and none of Koepka, Rose, Casey, Fleetwoood. It's risky and could easily go tits up but just trying it out, so of the 40 line ups I created 37 of them have either both Simpson and Reed or one or the other! Safe to say I could do with both of these playing well!

I'm using 32 players in total for the 40 teams which is probably still too many but I think i had 45 players for 40 last week, so it's getting tighter!

I'm not going too mad this week, so avoiding a good bit of the chalk,

I've maybe 6 to 8 teams spread, and I'm. Like 80% or so on 2.players

Pretty much faded the top of the board and don't feel. The need to essentially bet big on that as I'll be wrong a lot,

I guess I'm. Similar accept I'm using all rose, I do really like Web but the projections I heard on ownership. Where too. Much for my liking but that might actually hell his ownership also.

Actually just looked Ive 11 teams this week probably using 16 guys in total, really high %s on a core of 5 and then s mixing of a few others in.

Hate these weeks, where its a birdie fest as it adds more varience.

Actually just looked Ive 11 teams this week probably using 16 guys in total, really high %s on a core of 5 and then s mixing of a few others in.

Hate these weeks, where its a birdie fest as it adds more varience.

who have you got in your core and what constests are you playing in?

who have you got in your core and what constests are you playing in?

Rose, Kisner, Henley are my 3 highest,

Henley is lights out with the ball striking putting is atrocious but back on his preferred putting surface, ive been playing him every week since i could since we came back, but hasn't really payed off yet.

Think ive 4 in the 25, 10 in the 5 and made a satellite team this week which is in a load of them, and the 5.

Used to do that a lot before but used put much more time into this, but seemed a good week to try a few, given I was opposing web.

Rose, Kisner, Henley are my 3 highest,

Henley is lights out with the ball striking putting is atrocious but back on his preferred putting surface, ive been playing him every week since i could since we came back, but hasn't really payed off yet.

Think ive 4 in the 25, 10 in the 5 and made a satellite team this week which is in a load of them, and the 5.

Used to do that a lot before but used put much more time into this, but seemed a good week to try a few, given I was opposing web.

Well I have Kisner and Henley in a few teams so we can cheer those on in unison, Rose and Simpson we will have to go our seperate ways! Good luck!

Well I have Kisner and Henley in a few teams so we can cheer those on in unison, Rose and Simpson we will have to go our seperate ways! Good luck!

Well good to see we are on the same page somewhat.

TBH I hate fading Webb and it could well kill me no doubt but when he is popular he tends to be very popular, a few wild high predictions for him in the things I watched, which could well drive down that ownership as well who knows.

Just got to plant your flag sometimes.

Good luck in your tournaments

adding in a few sprinkles of Danny Lee after looking at a few things.

Not a bad shout for a long shot FRL if people were so inclined

• Advertisement

adding in a few sprinkles of Danny Lee after looking at a few things.

Not a bad shout for a long shot FRL if people were so inclined

Also have him in a few teams but always feel dodgy putting him in, he epitomises a hot and cold player, could be 7 over or under tomorrow!

Advertisement