Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contiguous tb herd test

Options
  • 05-08-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi all, elderly neighbour got a letter re above informing him he is to be tested every four months until the end of test programme. He had a reactor last July 12 months which killed out clean and has been clear since. To say he is stressed is an understatement. I’ve tried to look into this and it suggests that he is in a high risk or at risk area...no idea how long it lasts either, I’m going to ring dept for him tomorrow.....In the meantime can anyone offer more detail / advice....thanks Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi all, elderly neighbour got a letter re above informing him he is to be tested every four months until the end of test programme. He had a reactor last July 12 months which killed out clean and has been clear since. To say he is stressed is an understatement. I’ve tried to look into this and it suggests that he is in a high risk or at risk area...no idea how long it lasts either, I’m going to ring dept for him tomorrow.....In the meantime can anyone offer more detail / advice....thanks Mac

Well I'm in county monaghan and a high risk area at that so 4 month tests are common here. No particular end date, discretion of department I assume.

Don't you need to have sent in written permission from your neighbour to represent them to the dept or have they got rid of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's likely there are enough herds in the area gone down so that the department will be testing all herds in that area in that fashion. Did the letter say he was restricted until having a clear test or is it just that he is to test due to the situation in the area? Perhaps if you are present and let him ring the local AO and they may explain the situation to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's likely there are enough herds in the area gone down so that the department will be testing all herds in that area in that fashion. Did the letter say he was restricted until having a clear test or is it just that he is to test due to the situation in the area? Perhaps if you are present and let him ring the local AO and they may explain the situation to him

I went through all his neighbours and none are down, there is a neighbour on the other side of a railway line who is but there is no joining wall or mearin wall as we call them (wrong spelling😁) in ~50 yrs of farming this has been his only time going down. To clarify I will be with him on speaker as he rings the department, he is a little hard of hearing.

The letter states no reason why other that for life of the contiguous programme he will be tested every 4 months.

The key questions for me would be:

1. The criteria for him being included.
    2. Definition of neighbouring land owners

I feel sorry for him because he will probably sell out the stock, he will replace with a few sheep instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭raindodger

does any one else find the tone of these letters very agressive and intimidating.Making you feel if you have done something wrong your crime being boundsing a reactor.

• Advertisement

raindodger wrote: »
    does any one else find the tone of these letters very agressive and intimidating.Making you feel if you have done something wrong your crime being boundsing a reactor.

I must admit it wasn’t the aggressive tone more the complete lack of backup to why the decision was made, I spoke to a few of his neighbours this evening and there as baffled as I am and worried now that their letter is in the post.

I went through all his neighbours and none are down, there is a neighbour on the other side of a railway line who is but there is no joining wall or mearin wall as we call them (wrong spellingðŸ˜) in ~50 yrs of farming this has been his only time going down. To clarify I will be with him on speaker as he rings the department, he is a little hard of hearing.

The letter states no reason why other that for life of the contiguous programme he will be tested every 4 months.

The key questions for me would be:

1. The criteria for him being included.
    2. Definition of neighbouring land owners

I feel sorry for him because he will probably sell out the stock, he will replace with a few sheep instead....

Doesn't really matter if something like a road/ railway/ river etc separates two farms they are still down as neighbouring farms. The rules they go by tend to change a bit can be a pain. Went clear last Jan 12 months have been tested every 6 months since. Initially I was told the one in just did would be the last 6 month one and I'd be back to annual but I'm still down as high risk on the letters so I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alan10

Hi,
    got same letter. Adjoining farmer and few around gone down. Have to get it done by end Aug. Had my annual test April and all clear - presume I can still buy & sell now; I am not automatically locked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Might want to put a phone call into them alan. Particularly on the selling other than to a factory.

Clear here in jan 20. Phone call in early june restricting selling till was tested.

They might not always ring, leaving you finding out somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

He might not know who his neighbours actually are!!

I got a letter earlier in the year telling me that a named neighbour had reactors and to be careful of the boundaries and that I would have increased testing. Same man lived about 2 miles away with five farms between us. Mistake here I thought. On further investigation this man had lost land he had leased and in order to claim his SFP he had rented a field next to me but it was a paper only exercise involving no animal movement and the silage had gone elsewhere.
    I have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Got a letter myself saying same thing yesterday. Neighbour beside one small field went down. Most of my land is miles away and now i am stuck testing every 4 months. Does the dept pay the vet or is it at the farmers expence does anyone know??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I got a similar letter yesterday too.
    A named neighbour who's land is across the road from me is a restricted holding it says.

' If your herd is identified as relevant to the outbreak in the herd above and require testing, you will receive a separate notification '

It goes on to tell me that I may be required to go on a 4 monthly testing cycle and gives me a list of 10 precautions to take to prevent the spread of TB.

We rang the dept and a lovely lady told us that the reason that we got the letter was that someone’s flock around us had Tb, (No miss type btw) we said we wanted to talk to someone in the known, so they took his number and said someone would be back to him in the future. Due to Covid she could not be more Specific🥵🥵

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The11Duff wrote: »
    Got a letter myself saying same thing yesterday. Neighbour beside one small field went down. Most of my land is miles away and now i am stuck testing every 4 months. Does the dept pay the vet or is it at the farmers expence does anyone know??

You only have to pay for one herd test in the year, the Dept pay for any others that you are required to have.

On that one small field, if you have no stock on that land and only use it for silage, you should notify the Dept about it. You might be taken off the higher level of testing. If you have had animals there then you will be following the testing routine as a normal contiguous herd.

I get notified and tested as contiguous to another herd even though we don't bound anywhere except for some forestry he has so don't expect much leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Unfortunately I did stock it because its easier for me to move stock than bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alan10

Mooooo wrote: »
    Thanks - logged into agfood and all in herd came back with "Y"
    Y - The animal complies with the terms of the movement rule and may be moved
    Didn't know you could check there.

Advertisement