Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about Kimi

• 01-08-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think Kimi deserves his own thread in here. I Mwan he is just so ice cool. I think it's terrible that he now stuck in what is now one of the slower cars on the grid and wonder how long will he stick it before getting bored and decide to retire from F1. Hopefully before then do we get some more cool videos or chat on the radio from him.

https://youtu.be/caHhMPscrQg

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bwoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nothing will ever sum up Kimi's doesn't give a shít attitude better than this video

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I never thought him particularly cool or interesting compared to most of his contemporaries. In fact, he's a bit of a pig but, despite that, has many fans. In terms of his driving he was quick and daring in the first pre-hiatus stage of his career even if his world championship was earned quite fortuitously. His second stint at Ferrari was disappointing and he was comprehensively out pointed by both Alonso and Vettel and really ought to have retired at the end of 2018 after enjoying a great win in Austin. I bet now he wishes he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

chicorytip wrote: »
    I never thought him particularly cool or interesting compared to most of his contemporaries. In fact, he's a bit of a pig but, despite that, has many fans. In terms of his driving he was quick and daring in the first pre-hiatus stage of his career even if his world championship was earned quite fortuitously. His second stint at Ferrari was disappointing and he was comprehensively out pointed by both Alonso and Vettel and really ought to have retired at the end of 2018 after enjoying a great win in Austin. I bet now he wishes he had.

Yes that would have been the clever time to just call it a day but he is a racer and enjoys it. However if the Alfa is constantly at the back of the grid I can see him doing that at the end of this year. Maybe it's time he did to make room for new drivers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes that would have been the clever time to just call it a day but he is a racer and enjoys it. However if the Alfa is constantly at the back of the grid I can see him doing that at the end of this year. Maybe it's time he did to make room for new drivers.

Aye with the likes of Hulk and potentially Checo without a drive next year, he is kinda holding a seat hostage that could be used for bringing on younger drivers. Perhaps it is time for him to move on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

On his day, epic driver and loved him in the V10 era in the McLaren. Glad he got that championship in 2007, he really deserved it after everything he had been through.

It is a bit of a shame to see him now at the back of the field (not all his own doing), but he is still a character. I don't think he fits the current version of F1 at all to be honest, when he was in his prime we had Schumacher, Montoya etc who all had a certain side to them that just isn't around anymore, not to do with their driving but the character they brought.

He was magic to watch at times, as good as the best on his day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

He was fantastic at Mclaren on the Michelin back in the day. Unlucky not to win a championship in 2003 or 2005. Really enjoyed qualifying in 2005 when himself and Alonso were going at it. I really enjoyed the single lap format at the time.

It's generally accepted he lost a little bit of pace when switching the Bridgestones in 2007, though he still managed to win a title. Seemed to fall out of love with the sport after that, 2008 being a particularly poor title defence. Must admit I didn't rate Massa too highly, so was very surprised to see him beating Kimi that year. Didn't think we'd seem him back after he went rolling rally cars in 2010.

His return in 2012 was impressive, was quick from the get go and of course famously won in Abu Dhabi (that was such a great year, so many teams near the front). I thought Kimi from 2005 had returned. But the hybrid era has been pretty poor for him. Found it very frustrating seeing him spanked by Vettel week in week out. Thought it was a waste of a good seat. I guess he's low maintenance and a safe pair of hands so ferrari were happy to keep him. Surprised he's still racing, but I guess he's happy to pick up the pay check.

As a character, he was surprising popular for a guy with zero charisma. The sport was super corporate back in the 2000s, so I guess the fans warmed to a guy who had a real IDGAF attitude. Hard to know what to make of his career. Bit up and down. Was definitely among the best at one point but couldn't sustain it. I think it does highlight how good the top guys are, who consistently are at the top of their game regardless of rules changes, switching teams etc.

I'll always remember him as a NASCAR ace rather than an F1 driver though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I think Kimi deserves his own thread in here. I Mwan he is just so ice cool. I think it's terrible that he now stuck in what is now one of the slower cars on the grid and wonder how long will he stick it before getting bored and decide to retire from F1. Hopefully before then do we get some more cool videos or chat on the radio from him.

https://youtu.be/caHhMPscrQg

His legendary witt is the most over hyped thing in the whole F1 circus. I think it shows how boring the rest of them are that he looks interesting by comparison. "What happened, Kimi?" Response "I crashed" and people think he's some kind of witt.

He's been finished for the last few years. Career probably in terminal decline now. There's a reason Seb was so keen to advocate for keeping him at ferrari instead of getting LeClerc. Even Seb could beat Kimi at his current level of performance.

I remember a teacher who retired early and we asked why he was doing it. He said "always go when people are asking 'why?' not 'when?'. And I'm pretty sure we're all asking when Kimi is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

His legendary witt is the most over hyped think in the whole F1 circus. I think it shows how boring the rest of them are that he looks interesting by comparison. "What happened, Kimi?" Response "I crashed" and people think he's some kind of witt.

I've read his book and it's just one side of the sport he hates. He says he is basically answering the same obvious questions every week since he was young and it gets boring. It's a good book and gives an insight to the guy we don't see on camera.
    I like him, agree he should have retired in 2018,
    Should have had more titles too imo.
    Nearly bankrupt Lotus with the pay bonus deal he had with them in 2012

That's not on Kimi

They gave him a deal and he surpassed expectations

Don't give someone a performance incentive then cry wolf if he gets it and then some

• Advertisement

That's not on Kimi

They gave him a deal and he surpassed expectations

Don't give someone a performance incentive then cry wolf if he gets it and then some

I know it's not, I wasn't blaming him??

I've read his book and it's just one side of the sport he hates. He says he is basically answering the same obvious questions every week since he was young and it gets boring. It's a good book and gives an insight to the guy we don't see on camera.
    I like him, agree he should have retired in 2018,
    Should have had more titles too imo.

I'd believe the questions are bland. The people who cover f1 really aren't investigative journalists. They show up and ask the same questions every single week. The drivers aren't allowed talk about (and most probably don't have) opinions on issues in the real world so they just talk about the exact same things every week. I'd say it takes a lot of professionalism not to appear p1ssed off.

F1 journalists aren't into the 'gotcha' game either. Just dull.

But where did the notion come from that he's funny? He just says things in his Finnish style and people ROFL.

I know it's not, I wasn't blaming him??

Fair enough, considering all your other comments on him i think it was a fair assumption

Fair enough, considering all your other comments on him i think it was a fair assumption

All my other comments? I think you must have me mistaken for someone else, haven't posted on this forum in a while. I'm a Kimi fan. If it's the comment above about him retiring after Austin, I stand by it. I would have rathered he retire from F1 then, than run around at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Man, I hope kimi doesnt retire, one of the last interesting drivers on the grid.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Man, I hope kimi doesnt retire, one of the last interesting drivers on the grid.

What do you find interesting about him? Has he done anything interesting this season, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What do you find interesting about him? Has he done anything interesting this season, in your opinion?
    In the second worst car in the field? No he's done nothing.

ELM327 wrote: »
    In the second worst car in the field? No he's done nothing.

Yeah, that's accurate.

I would actually prefer him to retire if he can't at least get into the midfield. It is a shame to see him roll around like that and all we really get are funny radio messages.

Passed a nice milestone during the race, longest distance raced by an driver...ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement