Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Was at Omniplex today, was a fair few people around.

Went to see Black Water Abyss, perfect example of a film I would never had gone to see under normal circumstances.....I would say it was never intended to be theatrically released original, low-budget made for streaming movie basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

ronano wrote: »
    lighthouse cinema reopening from the 27th July

https://lighthousecinema.ie/now-showing

Like other cinemas it has mainly older films scheduled but god just to be in the cinema with a new potentially decent release such as saint Frances makes me happy. Hopefully they will add newer films if they are available for release to their schedule. I missed the cinema as an activity to do but by this point just miss it for the solitary darkness, the story unfolding and thinking about it after it. I can't watch films at home during lockdown, no attention span.

saw Saint Frances last night - really enjoyed it.. twas a tough watch but v rewarding - heart warming in the end.. some great one liners - flawless cast

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I haven't gone yet. I'm going to wait until Bill & Ted arrives in the Lighthouse and that will be my first time back.

My membership expired during the pandemic so I must renew that too before I go back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Made it back to the Light House earlier this week, and by god it was glorious to be sitting back in front of a big screen when then the lights went down.

Hopefully the capacity limitations are enough to let them operate somewhat successfully. Encouraging to see sold out screenings (sold out probably being a third of usual capacity).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Universal reached agreement with AMC Cinemas to reduce the theatre window from 90 to 17 days before VOD. Granted, it's in the US, but they're currently negotiating international rights.

That means 007: No Time To Die is released to theatres on Nov 12 & VOD on Nov 29 (& the pirate bay on Nov 30).

Expect others to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

OU812 wrote: »
    Universal reached agreement with AMC Cinemas to reduce the theatre window from 90 to 17 days before VOD. Granted, it's in the US, but they're currently negotiating international rights.

That means 007: No Time To Die is released to theatres on Nov 12 & VOD on Nov 29 (& the pirate bay on Nov 30).

Expect others to follow.

Cant beat a good movie in the cinema but for everything else.....PBay is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I'm kinda hoping we see a reduction in this kind of thing. If anything, the pandemic has shown the vulnerability in the film industry. I'd hope that everyone will give a little more consideration before doing things like this and show more support for the films they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I returned to the Triskel, Cork last week on their opening weekend. Actually felt a touch emotional to be back.
    They've done a great job with contactless and distancing and ushers on hand. Safer than a typical trip to the supermarket I'd say.

The Lighthouse - what a wild film! Reading the technicalities on imdb I'm astonished at what drives a film maker to take on such challenges.

Portrait of Lady on Fire this weekend, worth seeing again I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MayoDayo

Back in my day we had to go to a place called the theater to watch films instead of on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OU812 wrote: »

Expect others to follow.

Thars hardly good and a bit crazy. It should have stayed at 90 days but if it was too be less then it should have went to 32 days. I would love to know why 17 days. That's is just 2 5 weeks the film gets in the cinema before being available elsewhere
    Crazy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I was looking forward to the bond movie coming out. It was due to bee released back in April but it was delayed til later in the year. It is a movie that I would love to see in the cinema but I must admit I would be very nervous. I just can't trust people to do the right thing, especially people that I don't know and that means self isolating if they feel ill. I would be interested in learning about private screenings and how much a private screen would cost. I know it would probably be expensive but it would be the safest bet.

Ms

Just go to the cinema mid week. Even now I would say cinemas will still be quieter mid week than during the weekend.wash your hands wear a mask and gloves and just be carefull. My sister when she had her 30th had a private cinema. This was a good few years ago now and I think one of my other sisters organised it so no idea what it cost but it was not that cheap. It was in a basement in a hotel in Dublin City so not a proper cinema but it was a screen like you had in a cinema and seats but not very big. It was ok but not great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well this is a surprise: Mulan going straight to Disney+. Although there’s a big disclaimer on that - it’s being released as a premium rental for $30 in the US at least. Disney obviously not willing to cut their losses on a big budget film of that scale, but that’s a high price even by premium VOD standards.

Mostly I reckon this is a hit for the multiplexes. Oddly enough we’re now in a situation where it’s the smaller cinemas have an advantage, as indie distributors are releasing movies and these cinemas have a much stronger record for classic screenings. I mean, it’s not ideal, but I was down the Light House tonight and it was reasonably busy for a socially distant Tuesday night. A grim few months ahead for the multiplexes in comparison.

https://variety.com/2020/film/uncategorized/mulan-disney-plus-premiere-1234711185/

Ms

That's a crazy price for one film on a V.O.D service. Its looks like only countries that do not have Disney+ will get Mulan in the cinema the lucky sods. I would go see it in the cinema but if it ends up on Disney+ here I will not see it so they have lost me and I am sure many others just like me who do not have there on demand service and would have liked to see it in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

A ticket in the lighthouse is about €10 depending on the time of day. I'd happily pay that for a new film with the risk that I may not like it. €30 for a new film with the same risk is a big ask, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's an insane price that'll only drive piracy, but is this the watershed release? Disney cutting their losses on VOD for a big blockbuster feels like a big decision. Ok, Sony recently did the same with that Bill and Ted sequel but can't imagine there's as much riding on that release. Wonder who'll be next.

They’re obviously thinking ‘well you’d be paying around 40 quid for two adults and two kids, so...’ - clearly aimed at a family audience first and foremost. They probably saw Trolls’ relative success and decided to replicate it, albeit with a Disney tax on top.

They seem pretty firm this is a once-off and an experiment of sorts, but still: 2020 looking pretty empty for big cinemas post Tenet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

They seem pretty firm this is a once-off and an experiment of sorts, but still: 2020 looking pretty empty for big cinemas post Tenet.
    It's a one-off experiment unless they like the numbers they get.

I live alone; not a chance in hell I'm paying €30 to watch a film on TV. I hope this crashes and burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I naively thought that any release which Disney would make to Disney+ would be free for ppl already subscribed....€20-25 is crazy for a single film, considering I paid €50\60 for the entire year for Disney+

Tenent and Dune are the releases I really hope make it out in cinemas through 2020

If this (Mulan) goes well for Disney, I could see them doing something similar for Black Widow....delaying Marvel movies, impacts the larger MCU timeline and other subsequent movies (that is if there are other MCU films which are in post production and close to ready to go, which I don't believe there are)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an experiment but I'm not sure what the economics say in trying to garner success for $150 million blockbuster via a streaming service (that's a guess at Mulan's budget BTW). You'd imagine Netflix already ran the numbers here, reasoning that they could only get away with "The Irishman" or "Bright" every now and again - most of their Own Brand films are generally B Movies with presumably low budgets to match.

Trolls: World Tour was a success story but honestly that was probably parental desperation matched with the relative low costs of the movie itself. My instincts say there's no chance Mulan, Tenet, Dune, Wonder Woman '84, No Time to Die et al could make back their budgets on streaming alone. Streaming's still too niche versus streaming and yeah, that price point doesn't track. It makes sense in a cinema where the experience of the outing is part of the fee, but not in your living room with the literal world at your finger-tips.

We'll see of course. I've also been wondering if CoVid, plus the slow erosion of the Paramount Decree might mean we're one step closer to Disney brand cinemas with each passing day. The Mouse House swoops in and scoops up AMC (for instance) for a cut price, guts the business then re-opens showing Disney brand content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's important to realise that Disney animated movies don't just exist in movie land. Mulan would have been set up with huge merchandise expectations and then provided content for their theme parks too. The theme parks are obviously struggling this year but I'm just making the point that Disney studios are unique in this regard

I'd be pretty sure Disney will start producing more non park related product (like they used to), to minimise the risk of further shut downs in the future.

We'll still get the Marvel & Star Wars stuff, but there'll be more of the likes of The Black Hole, Herbie, Something Wicked This Way Comes (Insanely dark for a Disney movie & directly led to the creation of Touchstone studios to produce more adult content).

They'll still do the live action remakes & family fare that they're tied to but we'll see more lower budget content that has potential for franchises.

Actually, looking at that trailer again, I'd love to see a Tim Burton remake of it.

That’s a massive price.
    I’ve heard some rumours it received a poor response in the test screenings.
    I wonder if they’ll make it available on other platforms. One would think that by limiting this to an already subscription based platform, they’re limiting their audience,

Maybe the research shows that anyone who’d be interested in this, is likely to already have a D+ sub. Who the hell knows how they came to this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

kerplun k wrote: »
    That’s a massive price.
    I’ve heard some rumours it received a poor response in the test screenings.
    I wonder if they’ll make it available on other platforms. One would think that by limiting this to an already subscription based platform, they’re limiting their audience,

Maybe the research shows that anyone who’d be interested in this, is likely to already have a D+ sub. Who the hell knows how they came to this decision.

They’ve over 60 million subscribers so it’s a pretty big base and they’re hoping that this move brings in even more

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-plus-60-5-million-paid-subscribers-1234725409/

Dodge wrote: »
    They’ve over 60 million subscribers so it’s a pretty big base and they’re hoping that this move brings in even more

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-plus-60-5-million-paid-subscribers-1234725409/

Still tho, your limiting your product to 60m as opposed to everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dodge wrote: »

If every single one of them buys it, they'll make 1.8 billion or so. That's not going to happen. I can only assume they reckon they'll get additional subscriptions out of this. Sounds absurdly risky to me.

How many cinemas do we reckon are in the world; couldn't find any reliable stats from a quick google. Cinema remains a worldwide phenomenon even if it's in a relative decline in the Developed World. Access to streaming services is nowhere near universal outside of those developed nations (and even then, many parts of the US have very poor options for even basic broadband). Modern blockbusters reflect that, with billion dollar box-office projections now a standard in many cases.

Point being there's no way Mulan could hope to match that was probably a big projection for itself (was it opening in China?), so presumably all Disney can hope for is to recoup some of the budget back, while getting a tonne more subscribers through marketing and idle curiousity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

be interesting to see if budgets drop for movies, it would be pretty ballsy to green light a $200m movie at the moment.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'd wonder how many subs Artemis Fowl brought it.

I just cant see people signing up to a subscription service only to fork out more money for DLC, but I guess that's the experiment here.

That model seems to be very profitable in the gaming industry, so why not the movie business.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    be interesting to see if budgets drop for movies, it would be pretty ballsy to green light a $200m movie at the moment.

Damn right they're going to drop. There'll still be massive hundreds of millions movies, but we're about to see a resurgence of the craft of film making.

Character driven movies like Rainman & Magnolia are about to come back.

Major stars will have to take a cut & special effects will be a minimum.

Advertisement