Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

All I can say is thank God for Netflix during this crisis. No risk whatsoever.
    Goes well with my 55' LG Oled tv.
    With 4K, the picture is better than the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SteM

Went to the 19:40 showing of tesb in Dundrum tonight. 8 people in the room in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I love when it's like that. I would have normally gone at odd times mid week to get the cinema like that.
    I am the same I used to go regularly on a Saturday or Sunday am to cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I saw Black Water: Abyss yesterday in Dundrum. 6 other people in the cinema. I doubt there would have been many in normal circumstances. Avoid..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw Black Water: Abyss yesterday in Dundrum. 6 other people in the cinema. I doubt there would have been many in normal circumstances. Avoid..
    I havent heard of that one.
    But hey nice to see a new release
    If your looking for a decent croc film I would recommend crawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Omniplex have suspended sign up to their year long omni pass system..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Are there any clusters traced back to these venues (theaters/cinemas/museums) or is it that people are avoiding them and therefore there are no cases to speak of? Ouch, they must be even more affected than airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I love when it's like that. I would have normally gone at odd times mid week to get the cinema like that.

The same here. Always went mid week and mostly always quiet just the way I like it. I hope cinemas do not go back to how crazy it was before. I would much prefer quality over quantity. Put out good films and leave them in the cinema longer so more people can get to see it in the cinema. If it goes back to the way it was before I see cinemas struggling to survive into the future as more people stop going to them because they just do not have the time to see all the films. It's ok if you live in a city with a job nearby but if you do not and you have to travel or take public transporh for work it's harder and people would be lucky to get to the cinema once a month or even two months.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

AMKC wrote: »
    The same here. Always went mid week and mostly always quiet just the way I like it. I hope cinemas do not go back to how crazy it was before. I would much prefer quality over quantity. Put out good films and leave them in the cinema longer so more people can get to see it in the cinema. If it goes back to the way it was before I see cinemas struggling to survive into the future as more people stop going to them because they just do not have the time to see all the films. It's ok if you live in a city with a job nearby but if you do not and you have to travel or take public transporh for work it's harder and people would be lucky to get to the cinema once a month or even two months.

I'm very lucky that I work a few doors up from my local cinema. I can clock out from work at 4 and easily make those 4:10 pm screenings on a rainy Tuesday afternoon. I couldn't think of a better way to pass 2 hours :)

Agreed. No way this was getting a cinema release under normal circumstances

• Advertisement

Are there any clusters traced back to these venues (theaters/cinemas/museums) or is it that people are avoiding them and therefore there are no cases to speak of? Ouch, they must be even more affected than airlines.

Well we wore masks and ordered tickets and food online. They're was no one within ten feet of us inside the cinema and the only physical contact was when the prepared our come and popcorn but then I saw the staff using sanitiser either side.

Never say never but it seems pretty safe to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

If I could rent the big releases for viewing at home day & date with the cinema release, I'd probably never go to the cinema again. Willing to pay about €20 to rent a major title.

Only problem is getting the time to watch them without distractions from the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭kerplun k

And that's the thing. You just cant compare the Cinema to watching something at home. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but for me, I could never watch a film at home uninterrupted. Someone will always walk into the room, turn on an appliance, knock on a door, plus your more likely to check your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

kerplun k wrote: »
    And that's the thing. You just cant compare the Cinema to watching something at home. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but for me, I could never watch a film at home uninterrupted. Someone will always walk into the room, turn on an appliance, knock on a door, plus your more likely to check your phone.

Exactly. If it all came down to convenience, then cinema would have died with the advent of television....widescreen television....surround sound...etc, etc

Theatrical cinema is still around today because it's not just about the film you're watching. You can dress up your livingroom any way you want, but it's not the same experience as going to cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

screenshot-2020-07-09-at-22-56-04.png

Hardly a surprise.

I prebooked tickets for a show in August. No contact details anywhere to get my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

justmehere wrote: »
    I prebooked tickets for a show in August. No contact details anywhere to get my money back.

They also run the Savoy in the city centre why don't you just pop in and talk to them I am pretty sure they will have to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I live near a Vue cinema. Id go every week if they had a monthly pass.
    As it is I hardly ever go.

No.

Today Wednesday in a restaurant I overheard this remark about someone who dropped one of their family into a cinema for a film:

"I don't care what he watched,...just he had a great time"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

An cinema industry analyst group in the U.S. has said that cinemas there may remain closed for business until Mid-2021.

https://thenerdy.com/movie-theaters-may-remain-closed-through-mid-2021/
    The immediate future for movie theaters in the U.S. is looking a bit bleaker as a new projection places their return in mid-2021.

It seems that every analyst in the marketplace has an idea of when movie theaters will re-open, and it is getting progressively worse. While one this week suggested it would be by the end of the year, another is now saying it will be mid-2021, but his logic does indeed make sense.

It says in the article that Christopher Nolan's Tenet has to make a projected $800 million for it to break even. To me that sounds like an impossibly large amount of money to raise from people going into an enclosed cinema setting to watch the entire movie. It will become a big challenge to raise that money in that setting this year while making social distancing guidelines mandatory within cinemas or when cinemas will eventually close again because of rising case numbers being seen again from more people who are suffering from Covid-19.

Going from what it has been said from this article so far; it looks like it to me that the market for box office films being viewed at home on demand on streaming services will see a much larger increase in demand from members of the public when this public health crisis worldwide eventually gets worse.

An cinema industry analyst group in the U.S. has said that cinemas there may remain closed for business until Mid-2021.

My guess is they'll reopen & then close again & remain closed until early-mid 2021.

Vaccine will come along & people will be able to resume these activities in changed circumstances.

We're about to see a massive change in home streaming however. Increases in broadband availability & speeds, better encryption to counter piracy & a broader range of product & standardised rental prices, with global releases rather than country/continent specific.

We may even see the likes of tenet being locked in a vault for five years until they can see any likelihood of recouping their costs.

We may see a change in the type of movie produced, moving away from the (several) hundred million dollar production costs cgi-fests & back to better storytelling.

When you look at the likes of (for example) movies from the 80s that had much lower budgets & didn't rely on CGI & impossible physics to keep audiences entertained, we'll see that sort of thing return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

OU812 wrote: »
    better encryption to counter piracy

If you can see the video it can be pirated. Encryption doesn't counter piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I do really miss the Cinema. ( but I wont be going back for a looong time)
    Im a huge movie buff and am sorry to see IMC is gone again in the Square. But TBH it has been a horrible experience over 2019. staff really looked like they where suicidal everytime I went in and more than once they had no Popcorn,. I mean FFS Gimme a break..
    hey did deals on Wed and Thur and always had a huge crowd. Need a bank loan to bring a family to the cinema on weekends these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I had been slowly falling out of love with the cinema so its absence hasn't been all that painful for me, but I do miss that whim of deciding to go see something mid week amidst a busy time in work.

So to answer the question if my local one ever reopens, I'll happily attend while taking the precautions I deem necessary if there is something to go see.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I'll be going, more than pre lockdown. The way I see it is that cinema has given me so much joy. Less in the marvel dominated universe I loathe, but yeah. And it's in crisis at the moment so I'll try and help as much as possible.

Tenet has now been pulled indefinitely from a US release. WB are hinting that they may release it internationally and leave the US until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

lighthouse cinema reopening from the 27th July

https://lighthousecinema.ie/now-showing

Like other cinemas it has mainly older films scheduled but god just to be in the cinema with a new potentially decent release such as saint Frances makes me happy. Hopefully they will add newer films if they are available for release to their schedule. I missed the cinema as an activity to do but by this point just miss it for the solitary darkness, the story unfolding and thinking about it after it. I can't watch films at home during lockdown, no attention span.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone see omniplex are reactivating the omnipass from tomorrow? What are people doing with it? Going to cancel or stick it out and hope stuff starts getting released?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Films are getting releases. Not the huge budget tent poles but smaller films. New Russell Crowe film starts this weekend. I've gone to see classics such as empire strikes back and superman and it was great seeing them on the big screen again... Don't have the Omnipass but hoping to get one as soon as they go live again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

no date yet, but my local cinema will be reopening soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I asked cineworld on fb a few days ago about reopening their dublin cinema

'Hi there, unfortunately we don't currently have an opening date for our cinemas in Ireland as yet. We're working hard on opening as soon as we can. As soon as we have more information we will announce this'

A pity but there doesn't seem to be much new releases and everywhere is showing the same older content

Advertisement