Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Hume RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a fellow Derry man who would often see him about, we tended to take him for granted.

I remember sitting beside him at the bar in Da Vinci's in Derry one evening, and a mate saying how we take it for granted sitting beside a Nobel prize winner.

I walked the Moville to Greencastle coastal walkway one Sunday morning and bumped into him along the footpath there. Said to my mate its not often you come across a Nobel peace prize winner when out for a walk, it was a bit surreal. I think he has a house near Greencastle somewhere, or at least a local said he lived along there somewhere and would often be out for a walk along the coast.

RIP, a giant of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The Pan Nationalist Front was what Conor Cruise O’Brien accused him of constructing. He was some character that O’Brien.

It’s sickening to hear John Bruton on the radio talking about him today. Hume had to face down the pathetic whining of Bruton and others to make the project work. Bruton was no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

the most significant peacemaking politician of the troubles.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I served him in a bar one evening. A total gent unlike some other self-important politicians I encountered that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A giant of a man and the greatest Irish statesman this side of the last century.
    He is a Mandela like figure, who rejected violence in order to force political change and instead went about it peacefully while being undermind by violent repubicanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would not have any experience of the Sindo back then, but did I read Dunphy also wasn't a fan?

Dunphy was a columnist for the Sindo at the time and did one of the most notorious hatchet jobs on Hume, an article accompanied by a cartoon of John Hume where it appeared his hands were smeared with blood (opinion is divided on wether this was intentional)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

He was smeared and attacked in print by that rag the Sunday Independent from the early 90s onwards. Anne Harris and Angus Fanning ran a very low campaign against him.

This an overstaement. It is 100% true that many were horrified by his engagement with the likes of Gerry Adams but it is not true that he was "smeared and attacked". That kind of thing was directed by Gerry Adams who quite rightly recognised that middle ground peaceful progress would threaten his agenda. It is a particular mark of Hume that he surrendered his party and his personal ambition to Adams to stop the killing. Plus managed to persuade Trimble to even stand in the same room as Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He was a great man who accomplished what many thought was the impossible, and as many here have said he never lost the common touch.

My parents met him at a conference in Derry and himself and my Mam used to take cigarette breaks outside the door of the hotel for the couple of days.

Every time she saw him on the news afterwards she'd call him "my old smoking buddy".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blowitupref

A true legend and gentlemen of my lifetime. RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Truthvader and TheCitizen give it a rest, this is not the time or place. Take it to any of the myriad of NI political threads if you must.

Anymore of that off topic nonsense in this thread will mean bans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

I am independent in politics and fairly middle of the road.John Hume was a hero of mine all through the 80s and 90s and continues be so.SF were guided into peace by him but the establishment,ie Sunday Independent,John Bruton etc, were a disgrace during that time towards Hume.I have not bought the Independent since as they maligned a giant of Irish society and politics.They were political pygmies during the peace process.

Hume always said his foundation of Derry Credit Union was his greatest success,as it lifted thousands out of poverty.My God,today is a sad day for Ireland.

RIP John Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Truthvader wrote: »
    Lie. The only people who attacked him were the Sinn Fein IRA mobs outside his house incoherent with rage because he was against their murder campaign

Oh ya? Here's the establishments paper working against the name. Shady characters.

https://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1290260395102359557?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Sad day, but, he was one of the few people on this planet that was and always will be a fully paid up member of the human race. I will always remember him as such and be sure to tell all of mine coming after me the same. Did great, mighty and just work. The man was and still is a great and true example of how to do life.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod
    Thread has been cleaned up. If you want to squabble over politics go do it somewhere else, there are plenty of other threads that cater to this.

Dont know what it is about RIP threads that brings out this carry on :confused:

Also, quit complaining about moderation. We are volunteers and cannot be expected to action every reported post within minutes, and this thread has attracted a huge number of reported posts (all of which gave been looked at)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Truthvader wrote: »
    This an overstaement. It is 100% true that many were horrified by his engagement with the likes of Gerry Adams but it is not true that he was "smeared and attacked". That kind of thing was directed by Gerry Adams who quite rightly recognised that middle ground peaceful progress would threaten his agenda. It is a particular mark of Hume that he surrendered his party and his personal ambition to Adams to stop the killing. Plus managed to persuade Trimble to even stand in the same room as Adams

Hume and Mallon will be remembered as the true Republicans. Adams, Storey and co will be remembered as the thugs who used Republicanism to justify their campaign of sectarian slaughter

smurgen wrote: »
    Oh ya? Here's the establishments paper working against the name. Shady characters.

That's the cartoon I mentioned in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

smurgen wrote: »

It's worth noting at the time the IRA where active, the bombing campaign was still in full flight so there was journalists who where dubious about Humes methods. That's what journalism is all about sometimes people get it wrong. I'm pretty sure all of them columnists today will salute Hume and admit they were wrong and most importantly be glad they got it wrong.

It was a bold move to try and bring SF out of the wilderness and to the table as a democratic movement of course it had its critisim at the time and considering the bombs still went off after this is proof that the critisim was justified in the short term but it was only in 1998 that it paid off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was saddened to hear this news, but John Hume’s legacy in terms of the peace enjoyed in Northern Ireland today is assured. Hume was a politician of real substance and a political visionary so sorely lacking in politics today.

He was a critical figure behind the Northern Ireland peace process. Without the vision and input of Hume, the peace process simply would not have happened. My family are from Northern Ireland - I was born in Belfast in the middle of the 1970s - and we moved down to Dublin when I was a baby to escape the hatred and the violence that was destroying the province at the time.

A native of Derry city, John Hume was a consummate politician and negotiator and was instrumental in working towards a solution to the 30 year Troubles in Northern Ireland. Despite many setbacks in his untiring attempts to bring the people involved in the conflict around the table, he never wavered in his goal for peace in the North.

He had a flair for seeing and understanding the views and concerns of opposing sides in the Troubles, often views that were bitterly entrenched, and then putting together a viable road map for positive change.

RIP John Hume 1937 - 2020.

_35294769_c6f81428-acc6-4bb4-b26a-ec5d96bbfd5d.jpeg

piplip87 wrote: »
    It's worth noting at the time the IRA where active, the bombing campaign was still in full flight so there was journalists who where dubious about Humes methods. That's what journalism is all about sometimes people get it wrong. I'm pretty sure all of them columnists today will salute Hume and admit they were wrong and most importantly be glad they got it wrong.

It was a bold move to try and bring SF out of the wilderness and to the table as a democratic movement of course it had its critisim at the time and considering the bombs still went off after this is proof that the critisim was justified in the short term but it was only in 1998 that it paid off.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the likes of Eoghan and Anne Harris admitting to being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Stopped buying the Sunday Independent because of that paper's weekly character bashing of the man. Mr. Hume has been proven right and those journalists and others who participated in that weekly character assassination should hang their heads in shame. I never bought that rag again. RIP John Hume, democrat, patriot and gentleman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I walked the Moville to Greencastle coastal walkway one Sunday morning and bumped into him along the footpath there. Said to my mate its not often you come across a Nobel peace prize winner when out for a walk, it was a bit surreal. I think he has a house near Greencastle somewhere, or at least a local said he lived along there somewhere and would often be out for a walk along the coast.

RIP, a giant of a man.

Yes John and his wife Pat have a house half way between Moville and Greencastle. Only a few yards from the shore. I grew up beside them. You couldn't get nicer neighbours. He had a way of making you feel at ease within a few seconds of talking to him and could often be found in Kealeys seafood restaurant in Greencastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

RIP John Hume, he dedicated his life to bringing peace to Ireland.

His task was made all the more difficult by the very fact that there was no Unionist equivalent of himself while being undermined by dark forces operating out of both Britain and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

RIP John Hume, he dedicated his life to bringing peace to Ireland.

His task was made all the more difficult by the very fact that there was no Unionist equivalent of himself while being undermined by dark forces operating out of both Britain and Ireland.

That's a very good point Tom.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is often said there are no monuments to the peace makers, well there will be to this man! RIP.
    I'm sure the likes of Charles Moore and Eoghan will admit they were wrong and salute Hume. No doubt Eoghan Harris will be contrite for his past articles in his weekend column.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think every young person should be made watch the RTE news now about Hume...We own him a hell of a lot, here on the whole Island...Its very telling that all sides accredit Hume with driving the peace process...

His death isn't the sadness part of the story, its that he was ill for so long and suffered with dementia type illness too, horrible way for such a giant to suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭malinheader

R I P John. A true gentleman .The world will definitely be a worse place without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I suppose that theres no chance Fionnan and the gutter journalists of Independently newspapers would apologise for their behaviour.
    Probably too busy raking up some muck about a new T.D. robbing an orchard in national school.

His task was made all the more difficult by the very fact that there was no Unionist equivalent of himself
    I think this is a little unfair to David Trimble. We have natural tendency, down here, to dismiss or diminish the case for unionism. Trimble took massive risks in his political career, especially when it came to negotiating with Sinn Fein.

Trimble was born on the wrong side of history, he can't be blamed for that, or for the historical intransigence of the Unionist movement. He brought them forward in leaps and bounds into the modern era, and he suffered great antipathy and hostility for having done so. Trimble was not John Hume's equal, in many ways he was an inferior politician, for all his privilege. But in his courage and his political nous, he was at least Hume's equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

For anyone who doesn't know the price John and his family paid on the way.

https://www.irishecho.com/2011/02/a-view-north-hume-sdlp-have-faced-violence-too-4/

Advertisement