Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potassium Bicarbonate

Options
  • 02-08-2020 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Never thought I'd be posting in the food forum as my cooking skills are non existent.

Do any of you know any bakery supplier that sells food grade potassium bicarbonate? I've searched the Internet and can see a supplier in Northern Ireland selling 25kilo bags but I'm only looking for a kilo or 2 of it as it goes along way.

Have a problem with powery mildew in a field of pumpkins and there's no agricultural companies in Ireland stocking the agri version of it. This to remove existing infestations of it rather than being a preventative control.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Several sellers on Ebay. Here's one offering 1kg at £6,49
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-POTASSIUM-BICARBONATE-Highest-Quality-Food-Grade/301393894310
    However, postage to Ireland is £7,20 :eek:
    Same seller has more or less the same delivered deal on amazon.

Heavy weight, low value means disproportionate postage I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

tangy wrote: »
    Several sellers on Ebay. Here's one offering 1kg at £6,49
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-POTASSIUM-BICARBONATE-Highest-Quality-Food-Grade/301393894310
    However, postage to Ireland is £7,20 :eek:
    Same seller has more or less the same delivered deal on amazon.

Heavy weight, low value means disproportionate postage I guess.

Thanks for that tangy. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This site says sodium bicarbonate will do the job too, but the potassium one is better.

https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/powdery-mildew-prevention/
    3. Baking Soda
    Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda is a common remedy for powdery mildew. Its high pH makes it effective at treating and preventing powdery mildew, as it renders a plant’s surface too alkaline for the spores to thrive. The benefits of using baking soda to treat powdery mildew include:

It’s inexpensive and available at all food stores.
    It’s easy to use. Simply mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of Epsom salts to create an effective treatment for powdery mildew.
    A drawback to using baking soda is that it will alter the pH levels of your plants, which can in turn cause iron to become less soluble and thus less available to your crops. In this case, a plant supplement that’s rich in iron, such as Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra, can help ensure your crops receive the micronutrients they need to thrive.

4. Potassium Bicarbonate
    Like baking soda, potassium bicarbonate will alter the pH levels of your crops, but it’s stronger and will kill powdery mildew quicker. An effective preventative treatment as well as a great choice for a curative remedy, simply mix three teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate with three tablespoons of vegetable oil, half a teaspoon of hand soap, and a gallon of water to create a solution that kills powdery mildew on contact.

500g for 1.39 in tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253237822

aldi, lidl usually have 200g or maybe 250g ones for about 70c

It is also known as bicarbonate of soda, just be sure not to get "baking powder".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Thanks rubadub. I ordered the potassium bicarbonate but selected the slowest shipping method by accident :(

There is a horticultural product called Kaligreen, which is basically potassium bicarbonate, but my local supplier doesn't stock it.

Will see how the mildew progresses over the next few days, so may well have to pop into the supermarket for the baking soda as a stop gap!

Advertisement