Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone into CFB? Who is your favorite team?

• 31-07-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just curious if there's any support here in Ireland for College football.

I'd always wanted to get into it because of watching the NFL Draft etc, so when I finally got BT Sport in the house a few years ago I didn't have to find a live stream online of NCAA ball anymore!

Anyhoo, I'm a Sooners fan. Who do you like & why?

Comments

I have watched a few games but it just didn't interest me.

Canadian scratches the itch in July and August but even that's only ok

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

I feel it's better than the NFL personally (CFB is like club soccer, NFL is international). The rules are slightly different and the games are a lot quicker. Expect to see higher scoring. You should give it a bash again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DM_2092 wrote: »
    I feel it's better than the NFL personally (CFB is like club soccer, NFL is international). The rules are slightly different and the games are a lot quicker. Expect to see higher scoring. You should give it a bash again!

That's not my experience at all. Sure they stop the clock every time they move the chains. College games seem to last longer I think.

I do enjoy a tight game between two teams but due to padding the schedule, there are too many 65-13 blow outs for my opinion and offence always seems to be ahead of defence so even in tight games, they're 48-45 or something which I don't like. Give me an NFL 20-17 game any day of the week.

I haven’t watched it for long but I find the games more entertaining due to the variance in styles and the larger portion of bad players.

I haven’t watched it for long but I find the games more entertaining due to the variance in styles and the larger portion of bad players.

That would not help my blood pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I quite like it.

Some of the SEC games in particular, and the games between the top teams are very good. As someone posted, there is a lot of padding in the schedule, especially early in the season, but often as the season progresses the games I prove as they tend to concentrate on the games between teams going well. The playoff games tend to be good too. The whole system of the ranking is a bit strange, but there is a huge amount of different conferences to weigh up, hard to get your head around all that.
    I quite enjoy it anyway, kinda like underage foorltball vs Senior at times, more error prone players etc, but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I was at an Arizona Sun Devils game 2 years ago. Some day out!! The football isn't up to the NFL standard, obviously, but a great experience to go to a game alright!! Really enjoyed the college games in Dublin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was always a casual watcher as the games are on Sunday mornings for me which is perfect for some lazy viewing. Two years ago though I went to a Longhorns game and wow, the whole spectacle blew me away. Over 100,000 people in the crowd coupled with the tailgate before and the party in Austin afterwards made it an unforgettable day.

It was also a really good game, Will Grier and West Virginia won 42-41 with a two-point conversation when there was six seconds left on the game clock.

I've watched as many Texas games as possible since then so I guess I now have a team.

https://twitter.com/fanaticsview/status/1058931137748328448

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was always a casual watcher as the games are on Sunday mornings for me which is perfect for some lazy viewing. Two years ago though I went to a Longhorns game and wow, the whole spectacle blew me away. Over 100,000 people in the crowd and the tailgate before and the party in Austin afterwards made it an unforgettable day.

It was a really good game, Will Grier and West Virginia won 42-41 with a two-point conversation when there was six seconds left on the game clock.

https://twitter.com/fanaticsview/status/1058931137748328448

I hope nobody follows a Big Ten team anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

QFaos19u.jpg

Texas Tech and their Air Raid offense

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I'm a massive fan. Been to a few games. Follow the whole scene, but mainly the SEC. Would watch most LSU games, been to a couple too.

Overall I find it more exciting - there are 60 odd games per weekend, which means there are a lot of games to ignore - but if you have any knowledge of the conferences and keep up - you know exactly what games to watch.

I'm an NFL fan too, but would pick a college football Saturday over anything else in sports.

I'm gutted that this season is basically gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Big 10 are joined by the PAC-12 in not playing this Autumn!

Advertisement