Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic 252 - A good example of a Red Pill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

From 92,93 onwards, I thought that they started to move away from the original HotHits format that they started with in 1989, maybe it was to compete against the UK CHR radio stations which were focusing specifically on the UK top 40 chart to provide them with their "new music" content. The original HotHits format integrated new music from the US top 40 with select music from the UK top 40 to generate a particular and unique CHR sound, a sound that was a little more adult orientated.
    I thought it was the beginning of the end of Atlantic 252 when they started to tinker with it.
    Then again, long wave transmission would have never been sustainable as a music medium with the development of the internet and of course broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Lois Lane (Katherine Orman) was another Newsreader who can be seen here, with The Pizzaman (Gary Wilkinson) at 22:20 from 1998 Trim studio footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5hWbg6TvhE

That's who I was trying to think of!

She definitely does not have a face for radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You'd hear the same song maybe three times in 90 minutes.
    I had no idea this was broadcast from Ireland. I fell for the marketing ploy so.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Remember the love shack? I'm sure they gave out a London postal address but the phone number began with 00 353

When did it cease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

julyjane wrote: »
    Remember the love shack? I'm sure they gave out a London postal address but the phone number began with 00 353

When did it cease?

Trim number 046-36677
    Ceased in Christmas 2001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Moon_shoes

When I'd tell people that Pat Kenny was the chairman of the station, they thought I was mentally ill �� https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0928/730803-atlantic-252-one-year-on/

Moon_shoes wrote: »
    When I'd tell people that Pat Kenny was the chairman of the station, they thought I was mentally ill �� https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0928/730803-atlantic-252-one-year-on/

I know, the sound of Atlantic 252 was just poles apart from the establishment at RTE. Fair play to RTE for giving them freedom to just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You'd hear the same song maybe three times in 90 minutes.
    I had no idea this was broadcast from Ireland. I fell for the marketing ploy so.

Fairground by Simply Red was played more frequently than that. God I hated that song

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

jrmb wrote: »
    Another station called "Irish TV" broadcast to the UK and Ireland on Sky, but it failed too around 2017. They had 32 separate "County Matters" programmes though, and I think they were each produced weekly. It could be that they were just too ambitious.

And don’t forget the Druid chef

Rikand wrote: »
    Fairground by Simply Red was played more frequently than that. God I hated that song

Yes from around 1992 onwards they started to limit their new music output to a reduced number per hour, going from approx.8 (standard HotHits format) to about 4-5. The loss of those 3 - 4 new songs per hour had a direct impact on the quantity and their commitment to playing content from the current US top 40. Essentially they were moving towards a "Music Mix" type format and any new music on their playlist was a reflection of a "select" number of songs from the UK top 40 that suited their overall sound.
    Hence, hearing songs like "Fairground" by Simply Red played on very heavy rotation. Unfortunately a type of blandness was starting to creep in as every local radio station in Dublin were doing the "Music Mix" thing aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

You are confusing roles - Pat Kenny was not the programme director or music director , he was the chairman of the joint venture thus smoothing the working relationship between RTE and RTL and ensuring the goals of both - maximise profit was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

When I drive from Trim to Summerhill on Dempseys highway at night, I spot the large tower/aerial/transmitter and remember the 252 days. Nice memories on this thread, Cheers folks!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    When I drive from Trim to Summerhill on Dempseys highway at night, I spot the large tower/aerial/transmitter and remember the 252 days. Nice memories on this thread, Cheers folks!

I agree, it's some tower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Moon_shoes

alzer100 wrote: »
    I agree, it's some tower!

Thankfully the refurbishment made on the mast last fall means that it can stand there for another 30 years.

Thankfully the refurbishment made on the mast last fall means that it can stand there for another 30 years.

The only problem is that there is a lot of feeling that the electricity consumed to power that transmitter and it's maintenance costs are a waste of RTE's resources while at the same time they want to close down their DAB network.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Rikand wrote: »

252 reminds me of Seal's Kiss From A Rose because that was what I used to hear on a loop.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Information Society's "What's on your mind" is another one. That was on the test transmission playlist before the station properly opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Spent the summer of 1994 driving a tractor listening to 252. To this day I hate Big Mountains version of Baby I Love Your Way. Felt like it was played every hour

As was Charles and Eddie's "Would I lie to you".

There was also a newscaster who was into El Dorado (BBC soap opera) wasn't there?

Some more memories.

In the early days:
    Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears was played a lot.
    Classic Rock Sundays with Paul Kavanagh, Mary Ellen O'Brien and Al Dunne (different time slots or different Sundays).

Nails Mahoney moved from 2FM to Atlantic 252.

Mark Byrne moved from Century Radio to Atlantic 252 after the former's demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I remember a lot of Ace of Base, M People and Lighthouse Family when I think of Atlantic 252

"She leads a lonely life, hmm she leads a lonely life..."

Oh god, that awful Ace of Base song. Forever burned into my brain in mono!

There's a Facebook group:

atlantic 252 - long wave giant memories

Some Irish 252 presenters that come to mind right now:

Paul Kavanagh
    Robin Banks
    Al Dunne
    Henry Owens
    Rick O'Shea
    Stephen Cooper
    Mark Byrne
    Nails Mahoney
    Dusty Rhodes
    Enda Caldwell
    Carl Kinsman
    Greg Parke
    Derek Flood

Some Irish 252 presenters that come to mind right now:

Paul Kavanagh
    Robin Banks
    Al Dunne
    Henry Owens
    Rick O'Shea
    Stephen Cooper
    Mark Byrne
    Nails Mahoney
    Dusty Rhodes
    Enda Caldwell
    Carl Kinsman
    Greg Parke
    Derek Flood

Also Batman Gomez, aka Liam Coburn, and Jo King. I presume Cork's 96FM's Steve Haze, aka Hollywood Haze, is Irish too.

Also Batman Gomez, aka Liam Coburn, and Jo King. I presume Cork's 96FM's Steve Haze, aka Hollywood Haze, is Irish too.

I thought Carl Kinsman was Jo King ?

So which of the Irish presenters had you not heard of before Atlantic 252.

Here's my list of the ones I can think of. And, yes, I did find out some more about what some of them were doing before Atlantic 252 since then!

Paul Kavanagh
    Dusty Rhodes
    Rick O'Shea
    Stephen Cooper (I think that's where I heard him first, although it could have been the '90s pirates before his stint)
    Henry Owens
    Jo King
    Al Dunne
    Robin Banks
    Hollywood Haze (assuming he's Irish)

I would have said Greg Parke, but I don't think I heard of him until after Atlantic 252.

I thought Carl Kinsman was Jo King ?

Sorry - I forgot!

So which of the Irish presenters had you not heard of before Atlantic 252.

Here's my list of the ones I can think of. And, yes, I did find out some more about what some of them were doing before Atlantic 252 since then!

Paul Kavanagh
    Dusty Rhodes
    Rick O'Shea
    Stephen Cooper (I think that's where I heard him first, although it could have been the '90s pirates before his stint)
    Henry Owens
    Jo King
    Al Dunne
    Robin Banks

I would have said Greg Parke, but I don't think I heard of their names until after Atlantic 252.

Some well established names in there Declan by the time they got to Trim !

• Advertisement

Some well established names in there Declan by the time they got to Trim !

That may well be true, but I had not come across them.

There were others I had been aware of before their time in Atlantic 252, like Nails Mahoney, Mark Byrne, Enda Caldwell and Liam Coburn, although I don't think I actually heard the latter (Batman Gomez!) on Atlantic 252.

Advertisement