Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge spider in Tipperary - this normal?

Options
  • 28-07-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I saw this spider today beside my sliding door.

Is it safe?

I mean the spiders are definitely getting bigger every year!

I have a pen beside it for scale in one of the images.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That looks like a false widow. I'd be in the kill it camp they're an invasive species that kill off a lot of the more common garden spiders. They're also the only spider we have that can give a nasty enough bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RogerRabid

Oh my, I think you are right.
    I just googled it and there was an article in the independent about it.

Yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

RogerRabid wrote: »
    Oh my, I think you are right.
    I just googled it and there was an article in the independent about it.

Yuck!

Strange to see them out like that during the day. They love clutter and you'll probably find more of them if you look around the garden. I usually find them up under the garden parasol and under the bbq cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RogerRabid

He has scurried into a corner now, alright. I guess they are pretty common.

Very unsettling though.

Thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I could never understand the whole thing about spiders getting bigger. It seems to come up here fsirly regularly. I presume it's a myth, or is there actually evidence to suggest it's an actual thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Eddie B wrote: »
    I could never understand the whole thing about spiders getting bigger. It seems to come up here fsirly regularly. I presume it's a myth, or is there actually evidence to suggest it's an actual thing.

There are obviously big spiders and small spiders, and I suppose over time you might expect that you might start finding bigger spiders in your house, but it's all well within normal variation as far as I'm aware. In the same way fish aren't getting bigger - there are big trout and small trout, and the longer you're catching fish the more likely you are to see a bigger one than you've ever seen before.

I hear it a lot about birds - this bird must be the juvenile because it's smaller (no it isn't, it's the same size as the adults), and these gulls/crows etc. are getting bigger and bigger (no they're not, they're the same size as they've been for thousands of years!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That looks like a false widow. I'd be in the kill it camp they're an invasive species that kill off a lot of the more common garden spiders. They're also the only spider we have that can give a nasty enough bite.

100% kill it they are decimating our native spiders a d breed twice a fast I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Had/have one in my shed. Seen it attacking a wasp. It put the creeps right up me. Tried to get it out but they are the fastest spiders i have ever had the misfortune to see.
    Blasted it with WD40. Have not seen it since, i didn't like doing it but it had to go:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Looks more like a lace web spider than a false.
    Its abdomen is aloy more robust than a false

Advertisement