Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose a life In dreams or normal reality?

Options
  • 30-07-2020 12:46am

If you had a choice between permanent consciousness or permanent dreams, which would you choose?

Permanent reality consists of life as you currently perceive it, sober and scientific, without intoxicants and hallucinogens, or any psychoactive drugs whatever. You can sleep but not dream, you can only see what your waking senses allow.

Or, you can live in a permanent dream state. You can change shapes, become invincible, maybe you can fly, and presumably experience all of the ordinary human emotions. This life is in a constant flux, very surreal, and sometimes creates frightening or thrilling experiences.

Suppose you have no prior family connections. You can probably develop recurring characters in dreams, just as in real life.

Which would you see as the more satisfying and worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I've lived the latter for days on end and had to piece myself back together, give me reality any day at least then I know wtf is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Constant flux would be a nightmare to me ... I thrive on control and being in control and everything in its place. Had a big operation about two years back, first thing I said when I came round was to stop giving me morphine, hate the sensation of being out of it, or even spaced. I took complete agony to ensure I had had my own conscious mind. So it’s a no from me, permanent reality please.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The matrix is the only way....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Blue or red pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have very dark, twisted and perverted dreams. So obviously that's where I'd want to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Whichever affords me the most sleep.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've never once remembered a dream in my whole life, or perhaps I don't dream at all, which means the first option wouldn't be any different for me so I'll take that.

gogo wrote: »
    Constant flux would be a nightmare to me ... I thrive on control and being in control and everything in its place. Had a big operation about two years back, first thing I said when I came round was to stop giving me morphine, hate the sensation of being out of it, or even spaced. I took complete agony to ensure I had had my own conscious mind. So it’s a no from me, permanent reality please.
    But would you not feel like a prisoner? No escapism whatever, in a life that was somewhat robotic? It sounds like an episode of Black Mirror to me, where we're all automatons.

It's a difficult choice but given the above I'd have to opt for the old crane-diving and disappearing limbs and chaos of the dream world. At least it has the full range of human emotions, although it would be totally exhausting.

If you had a choice between permanent consciousness or permanent dreams, which would you choose?

Permanent reality consists of life as you currently perceive it, sober and scientific, without intoxicants and hallucinogens, or any psychoactive drugs whatever. You can sleep but not dream, you can only see what your waking senses allow.

Or, you can live in a permanent dream state. You can change shapes, become invincible, maybe you can fly, and presumably experience all of the ordinary human emotions. This life is in a constant flux, very surreal, and sometimes creates frightening or thrilling experiences.

Suppose you have no prior family connections. You can probably develop recurring characters in dreams, just as in real life.

Clearly you don't get my dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But would you not feel like a prisoner? No escapism whatever, in a life that was somewhat robotic? It sounds like an episode of Black Mirror to me, where we're all automatons.

It's a difficult choice but given the above I'd have to opt for the old crane-diving and disappearing limbs and chaos of the dream world. At least it has the full range of human emotions, although it would be totally exhausting.

Let’s be honest, ATNM, anyone who plums for the “hum drum” 9 to 5 real world is just here to make up the numbers.

Probably makes jokes about the smell of a “fresh” excel sheet. And that’s fine, where would be without these “also rans” who love nothing more than a good queue?

Got to have a bit of “balance” as we as march along our timelines. You know yourself.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Without the ability to dream I’d know no different therefore I’d more than likely be content with my lot.
    Would my perceived reality allow me to read, ergo I would still have an escapism, albeit no opportunity to explore the ideas in my mind, as I could only perceive what I read?
    It’s the query of the Truman show, but I can’t remember the ending, he got out and was happy for it I’d imagine?

I think a lot of people live now with no aspersions or dreams of any kind, the future to them is Friday evening with a takeaway, pause, play, repeat.. while that in itself is a mundane life, but it probably sound better than disappearing limbs, chaos and exhaustion.

Even if I see one of those movies with the caption ‘surreal’ it’s a no from me, can’t be doing with things that mess with my head, it’s a fine balance up there as it stands most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I had a dream the other night that Kim Wilde In her heyday was my girlfriend . I really want to go back there for ever !!ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dreams, every time. The older I'm getting the more I realise that waking life is just one big shyte show and you try to get your tiny sliver to happiness out of it. I spend most of my waking hours (when not working) in other worlds, via gaming, anime, non-realistic tv shows/movies. Some of the best times in my hermit life are when a game/anime/show/movie just sucks me in and makes me forget about reality for however long i'm there. The sinking feeling of snapping out of it and back to reality sucks.

In if was a constant state of dreaming, the world could be your oyster. Unless of course the dream state is just a carbon copy of real life, in which case it doesn't really matter, they would both suck. I suppose it's also why I love weed so much, it enhances the ability to forget about the monotony of life while I escape away to these worlds. I know people are reading this now and thinking all sorts of stupid crap about the way my mind works, or how I perceive things, but honestly some of the best moments in my life were in these worlds. Real life is grand, it also had it's excellent moments, but escaping reality is the best part of being alive imo.

I look forward to the future, and even though I won't be around to see where it's going, I'm hoping that in my life time we'll get true immersive gaming akin to Ready Player One, or that we can visit space. I defintely won't be around for FTL travel, if it can be possible, but most people who has played the Mass Effect series should be able to understand why it would be amazing, living on a floating Citadel in the far reaches of space, landing on weird and wonderful planets. I would love if, in my lifetime (it won't happen save for some miracle breakthrough in FTL), I could wake up one morning and look outside to see multiple planets in the distance, but close enough to give that surreal look you see in a lot of films/games, something akin to this. Just looking up at the moon some nights fills me with wonder, and is one of the best things about living in the country.

But the wonder of the moon comes from the fact that you can’t touch it? If you could touch the moon or travel to it and sit on it... it would no longer be extraordinary... it would just be ordinary?

But the wonder of the moon comes from the fact that you can’t touch it? If you could touch the moon or travel to it and sit on it... it would no longer be extraordinary... it would just be ordinary?

Nah, the wonder of the moon and other celestial bodies comes from the fact that it's not earth! Faraway fields planets are green and all that, but if FTL was possible, the choices could be endless. Even though as a race we'd probably just end up fecking up the galaxy anyway... Humans have a habit of ruining everything they're involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The more satisfying and worthwhile for me anyway is the life of permanent consciousness. I’d want to be some absolute waster to want to exist only in a permanent dream state :pac:

I’d want to be some absolute waster to want to exist only in a permanent dream state :pac:

Why though?

Without the ability to dream I’d know no different therefore I’d more than likely be content with my lot.
    Would my perceived reality allow me to read, ergo I would still have an escapism, albeit no opportunity to explore the ideas in my mind, as I could only perceive what I read?
    Good question, I don't know. I imagine you'd keep your imagination, but it would be blunted. You couldn't just close your eyes and imagine yourself in a medieval English village or breezing down a canal in Venice on a gondola. You would be concretely in the present at all times, but certainly capable of understanding another world and visualizing it, at least superficially.

That would tend to impair a lot of literature and art, and music, I would suspect. But the upside, of having stability, and consistent relationships also has its appeal, I admit.

Why though?

Because I’d achieve nothing, and be happy with achieving nothing.

The more satisfying and worthwhile for me anyway is the life of permanent consciousness. I’d want to be some absolute waster to want to exist only in a permanent dream state :pac:
    But maybe that's only because you/we know no other world.

In a parallel dream-universe there's a guy asking this exact question on an internet forum, and someone with a fish-body and your exact username, is playing a ukulele and eating a pink orange, he says: "No, I love it here"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well real life is a bit meh so I'd give the dreamy one a chance.

But maybe that's only because you/we know no other world.

In a parallel dream-universe there's a guy asking this exact question on an internet forum, and someone with a fish-body and your exact username, is playing a ukulele and eating a pink orange, he says: "No, I love it here"

That was me about 20 years ago ATM :D

Gets quare old too after a while like when the novelty wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The thing you don't seem to be factoring in here, is that typically in a dream state you have little or no control over what you do or experience. You suggested developing recurring characters? Yes perhaps you might do... but you have very little say in whether or not that in fact happens.

Where as in reality, you do have a considerable amount of control over your actions and therefor quite a lot of control over your experiences. (if you make good choices)

I've had very exciting dreams, and really disturbing dreams... But I've never really felt like I had any control over anything I experienced. It was mostly just random chance.

I think I'll take reality, and greater control over what I experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Vanilla sky for me

I think I'll take reality, and greater control over what I experience. :)
    I see your point about the unpredictability of dreams, you have to take the chaos as it comes, although if you get to stay there long enough, you might develop a skill of controlling your environment.

Most of us have had a dream where you ask yourself "is this a dream?" And, for me anyway, the answer is always No. So your brain is lying to itself, I have always found that amazing, but I'm mentioning it because it suggests the brain can manipulate its experience, so there is some deep, level of control guiding you. It isn't random, you just happen not to know the surprise.

In any case, life itself is very unpredictable. This Pandemic is all sorts of chaos, and you might survive it only be hit by the bus crossing the road on the worst day of your life.

Happy Thursday!

Mind the bus.

Ahh well, I love my life as it stands. The "real" life that is. Not happy with COVID, and how it's restricting my movement, but I have a great lifestyle from traveling and living abroad.

The other side is/was that when I was young, I was very much a day dreamer, focusing on the future, and fantasizing about what could happen. Which ultimately was shallow because they were lacking in form as I didn't have the experience to really solidify those imaginations. Now, I'm much more present day focused, and much happier for it.

The only issue is that a large % of my income comes from writing fantasy/sci-fi novels, so, without the ability to consciously dream, I'd be kinda restricted. I do enjoy writing non-fiction, so that remains an option.

I'd choose the Real world, and all the pain/pleasure that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Probably dreams, our lives have been shaped to be the perfect cash cows and consumers, get up go to work, get subsistence wages to buy crap to try make you feel better about yourself and show off on Instagram. Even the Internet has become increasingly weaponised with adverts to target you, life has become mundane, everyone needs an adventure or hero's journey

“Society is collapsing, and people are starting to recognize that the reason they feel like they’re mentally ill is that they’re living in a system that’s not designed to suit the human spirit.”- Jim Carrey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This reminds me of Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Black Swan wrote: »
    Blue or red pill?

Both of course

• Advertisement

For the most part I love my dreams. Sometimes they lack the surreal nature of a dream and feel like real life. That's both amazing and sad because when I wake I can be left with a feeling of loss. The connection I feel to the people in them is often intense. I remember feeling so sad knowing the people weren't real and I would wake up. I told them this. It's really weird when you confront dream people with the truth.

They can be terrifying too. Dreams without any real content only darkness and a feeling of terror. If they are bad enough I can wake myself by saying "it's only a dream". Would I like to live in that state? Take the amazing and the horrible?

Well life can be like that too. I'm not going to be flying or jumping off cliffs in to a sea. There is good and bad and everything in between however. Living a life of absolute control or always wishing for escape and fantasy are states I would hate. I would need to ask myself some questions. What are you scared of that you can't ever let go? Or what is so terrible about your reality that you long to escape.

There was a time when I did need to ask myself that last question. I would choose my real waking life over my dreams Tyrant. Definitely. I can control what needs to be and throw caution to the wind as well.

Advertisement