Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Cork train

Options
  • 26-07-2020 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I need to take the train next week to Cork.

I was surprised to see that, rather than offering "assigned seating only" (and, thus, ensure social distancing), they have removed the option, so it looks to be a free-for-all - makes no sense to me

Has anybody travelled on the dublin-cork train (or similar route) in the past few weeks?
    • I am assuming that they have "sealed off" certain seats. Is this correct? If so, what is the ratio of available to sealed off seats?
    • What is the utilisation like? Is the train really busy, or are most people avoiding it?

i.e. Can I board the train 5 minutes before departure and expect to get a table seat with decent social distancing?

Comments

I'm on the 17:00 train right now. I was expecting them to have certain seats blocked off but it looks like they only did it in the first class section - the rest of us peasants can infect ourselves all we want, seemingly! The train itself is very quiet though, I'm in Carriage F and there are maybe 4 or 5 others in the whole carriage. Other times might be much busier of course but if your service is anything like this one then you'll have no bother finding a seat (with appropriate social distancing) if you board at the last minute. One would hope if you're on a busier route that they'll do the seat-blocking in all carriages.

Just a reminder that there's no catering on board anymore so bring your own drinks/snacks with you beforehand. Most of the shops and cafés at Heuston were open (Insomnia, Supermacs, Butlers, Offbeat, the sit-down bar and the shop in the corner by Supermacs were all open) but M&S and AMT Coffee were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Got on the 19.00 train there. Pretty much the same, only busier. On my carriage (E), there's at least 1 person at every 2/4 seat set.

No attempt by Irishrail to implement social distancing. But worse, when I wiped down the table with a sanitiser, it was black with the dirt after one wipe, so clearly no attempt at cleaning tables/armrests either.

My advise to anybody getting the train - come early to guarantee a seat, and bring cleaning wipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

We’ve to wear masks now rather than physically distance, so I wouldn’t think the same seating restrictions apply?

Advertisement