Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry to Canada

Options
  • 02-07-2020 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hope to travel to Canada in soon for urgent family reasons. Will be flying with aerlingus, but the information on the Canadian website is not very clear. Does anyone know if there is any problem with entry into Canada from Ireland due to the Corona crisis? Also what preceduries are in operation on arrival at the airport and security?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

Canada's immigration & visitor website seems very clear:
    Visitors
    Until further notice, you might not be able to travel to Canada, even if you have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

Who can enter Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks, well spotted. Just had a read and some questions you may be able to help with. Exemptions, as a parent of a Canadian citizen I have to document probably a birth certificate, and a copy of their citizenship in Canada. We have a visa already since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

Further down it states

"To board your flight to Canada from a country other than the US, you must have written authorization from IRCC to fly to Canada."

and

"If you don’t have written authorization, you won’t be allowed to board your flight to Canada, even if you have a valid visitor visa or eTA."

No point asking for help here on boards - you need to be engaging with the authorities to get that authorization. Stressful no doubt.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks wassie,having read that there are exceptions, one is a direct relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

horse7 wrote: »
    Only if said relative is a;
    Canadian citizen or permanent resident
    Are they either? Applying for PR probably doesn't count. Would advise you contact the IRCC anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, but the exception doesn't mean that you don't need permission. It means that you will get permission. But you still have to apply , in advance; I wouldn't just turn up at the airport waving the documents that show you come within one of the exceptions.

If you come within the "immediate family member of a Canadian citizen" exemption, you apply in the first instance to the airline. I would talk to them about this at the time of booking the ticket, and I think it would be prudent not to book the ticket with an agency or intermediary, but directly with the airline. If possible, get your eligibility confirmed with them before you pay for the ticket, for obvious reasons.

I notice that the exemptions is described on the Canadian government website as an exemption to "unite with immediate family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents". This might suggest that it's not enough that your immediate family member is a Canadian citizen; it may be necessary (a) that they should be in Canada, and (b) that the purpose of your visit should be to join them. So if your immediate family member who is a Canadian citizen resides with you in Ireland, that may not be enough. This is the kind of thing that airline will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

Have all your ducks in a row before going to check in, the airlines now will decide whether or not to even leave you board based on your docs. And I've seen stories of it being inconsistent, different airlines have different criteria and even different personnel in same airlines applying criteria differently. Even though CBSA/government would have published the same requirements for all to use.

I'd look at Air Canada before Aer Lingus, I'm over here in Toronto and see some people complaining on FB that Aer Lingus will take your money and then just cancel flights leaving you stranded and looking for a refund/voucher. They say flights are scheduled but then just cancel them a few days beforehand. Keep pushing them back. Anyone that I've seen post about coming over lately have flown with Air Canada. Check the flight history for Aer Lingus on those tracking sites to get an idea.

So ,we booked our flights in January with aerlingus to Toronto to visit our daughter there(Canadian citizen). We were due to fy in may, but had to rearrange to September. Having read though the previous posts,I am of the opinion that the exemption once documented doesn't have to be applied for. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is likely that Air Canada are best informed on these matters as they have many affected routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It is likely that Air Canada are best informed on these matters as they have many affected routes.

I agree with this. Ultimately the airline will decide if you can board or not. So you need to find out from them what documentation they require.

Don’t forget Canada has strict quarantine requirements with huge fines for any breach. You will need to present a quarantine plan for 2 weeks to the border agent. If the border agent doesn’t accept your plan then you will be sent to quarantine in a hotel.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but a quick look isn't enough, you've got to read through the whole thing. Re: Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible.

I'm sorry, but a quick look isn't enough, you've got to read through the whole thing. Re: Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible.

I did read it all. One thing I missed is if you have an ETA already then you can show up at the airport with the documentation. If you don’t yet have an ETA then you need to follow the steps I linked. Also it has to be a minimum stay of 15 days, the first 14 of those have to be in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So ,we booked our flights in January with aerlingus to Toronto to visit our daughter there(Canadian citizen). We were due to fy in may, but had to rearrange to September. Having read though the previous posts,I am of the opinion that the exemption once documented doesn't have to be applied for.
    Check out the link in Wazzie's post no. 2. That's the official government of Canada web page.

For someone in your situation - seekign to enter Canada on the basis of having a close relative who is a Canadian citizen - its clear that you don't have to apply for IRCC for a written authorisation. But you do have to satisfy the airline that you are eligible for this exemption. Satisfying the airline requires

- "follow all airline requirements"

- "pass a health check conducted by airline officials"

- "tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions"

- "provide evidence that either you’ll stay in Canada for at least 15 days and you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident [or] you’re travelling for an essential(non-discretionary) purpose"

-"present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident"

So, there is a process you have to go through; a process of "satisfying the airline". It's just a process conducted by the airline, rather than by the IRCC.

The only question not answered in the webpage is whether that's a process that you go through on the day of travel, when you turn up to check in, or whether you can, should or must complete the process or part of it beforehand. And I think the answer to that lies in the first point; you have to "satisfy all airline requirements". Which means the airline gets to decide whether you do all this on the day, as part of checking in, or whether you do some of it in advance.

You need to know this. And the only people who can authoritatively tell you this are the airline. So, contact Aer Lingus, explain your situation, and ask if you can or should do anything in advance of your flight to satisfy them of your eligibility, or whether they attend to all this at the airport on the day of departure.

As I already said I have both.

Some helpful links from air canada, aerlingus havent updated theirs yet. https://www.aircanada.com/ie/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/new-entry-requirements.html

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Some helpful links from air canada, aerlingus havent updated theirs yet. https://www.aircanada.com/ie/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/new-entry-requirements.html

Are you a Canadian citizen? If not, it doesn't matter if your daughter is, you're simply not getting in. Foreign nationals traveling for non essential reasons are point blank refused entry right now.

Maybe just take your time and read the document again, best wishes.

Honestly I think you need written approval. Your direct link gives you an in, but they may still want the reasons in full for you visiting. You may get there and be denied entry when trying to exit the airport.

A simple question being why doesn't your daughter just visit you instead? If it's just a social visit, that's not a valid reason right now.

I hope you're right but I've read all https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#citizen-pr and this bit seems pretty clear even though it comes just after a bit suggesting you just need your two documents :

Travellers coming from outside the US who are exempt from the travel restrictions :

To board your flight to Canada from a country other than the US, you must have written authorization from IRCC to fly to Canada.

Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca only if you’re reuniting with an immediate family member who is living in Canada temporarily. We won’t respond to any other inquiries.

We’ll contact you within 5 business days of getting your email and tell you what to do next.

When you contact us, you must provide your

full name
    date of birth
    unique client identifier (UCI)
    passport number
    detailed reason for travel
    proof of relationship with an immediate family member in Canada
    proof of immigration status of your immediate family member in Canada (copy of their study permit or work permit)
    proof of temporary resident visa or eTA

Good luck!

NEW – Since June 9, you will be exempt from the travel restrictions if entering Canada for a period of at least 15 days to be with an immediate family member who is a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident. You do not need a written authorization from the Government of Canada.

I got this in an automated reply when I emailed them horse 7. You may be ok with just the documents.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help Joe, I was just about to send you this quote from the document I linked you to. :You do not need a written authorization from IRCC confirming that you are exempt from the travel restrictions:

Two Americans got fined a $1,000 each recently in Toronto.

So I recommend that you contact IRCC and ask what proof do you need to bring to prove that you're visiting family; otherwise they can send you home before you leave the airport. Oh, and ensure you have very health insurance for the trip; another reason that they'll deny you entry.
    NEW – Since June 9, you will be exempt from the travel restrictions if entering Canada for a period of at least 15 days to be with an immediate family member who is a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident. You do not need a written authorization from the Government of Canada.

I got this in an automated reply when I emailed them horse 7. You may be ok with just the documents.
    I'm assuming that it states 15 days, as you'll need to self-quarantine for 14 days after you enter Canada as stipulated by the Canadian federal government’s mandatory quarantine order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

the_syco wrote: »
    Two Americans got fined a $1,000 each recently in Toronto.

The headline is misleading.
    "The charge carries a fine of $1,000."
    Not nit picking but they didn't get fined $1,000.
    They were charged with an offence that has a potential fine of between $275 to $1,000 plus $135 surcharge.

Penalties under the Quarantine Act include six months in prison or a fine of up to $750,000, which could go up to $1 million if the person caused death or bodily harm by wilfully and recklessly breaking the rules.

paddy19 wrote: »
    The headline is misleading.
    From article;
    Two Americans are facing fines of $1,000 each after failing to comply with Canada’s Quarantine Act.

Why isn't Canada on the green list?

Probably because Canada doesn't have a green list.

Very funny, you do know that it's Ireland that makes a green list for travel from Ireland.

Very funny, you do know that it's Ireland that makes a green list for travel from Ireland.

Well my point is that Canada doesn't exclude anyone from quarantine so why would Ireland exclude travelers from Canada from quarantine. A lot of the travel corridors/green lists are tit-for-tat.

Maybe just read the thread from the beginning,and understand what being on the green list means .

• Advertisement

Check out the rise of cases in Ontario and Quebec; https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
    Maybe just read the thread from the beginning,and understand what being on the green list means .
    Look at the figures, and understand why it's not on the green list.

Advertisement