Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine rejecting a 600k house

Options
  • 28-07-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

Currently having a nightmare trying to sell and buy a house at the moment.

While in my Aunts on Sunday she told me the council offered her daughter a new build in Portmarnock . She followed it up saying she rejected it and has been offered one in Baldoyle instead.

100% a true story. Where is the fairness in all this?

Ireland 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't know if I believe it or not but why the hell would we build social housing in portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

I don't know if I believe it or not but why the hell would we build social housing in portmarnock.

its probably part of one of the new developments that the developer has to give to the council as part of the planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I believe Fingal County Council are using CBL by now which makes this story quite doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

So we don't end up with black spots like we did in the past. So people can live near their jobs. So people can live near their support networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure there will be a good few in D4 too.... New development at rte....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every new development you see being built at the moment will have many council
    tenants in them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I can see why you wouldnt believe me. But its true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

whats the opposite of gentrification?

whats the opposite of gentrification?

Ghettoisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Every new development you see being built at the moment will have many council
    tenants in them
    The theory being that it will cause social housing tenants to improve their act, keep their houses tidy, no cars on concrete blocks in the front garden and aspire to a higher standard of living. Good luck with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ghettoisation

i suppose what i mean is;

if well off people moving into a poor neighbourhood is seen as gentrification, what do you call it when poor people move into a well off neighbourhood? thats hardly ghettoisation..

Ah gotcha.

Assimilation? Or the hope of it?

So we don't end up with black spots like we did in the past. So people can live near their jobs. So people can live near their support networks.

And which people cause it to be a black spot...

What I get from the OP is that there’s a quick turnaround in getting a second offer. That’s got to be good, right? I’m sure someone has taken house 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I believe Fingal County Council are using CBL by now which makes this story quite doubtful.

http://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CSR-Q1-2019-1.pdf

June 2019 report on social housing has four or five developments in Portmarnock and at least one in Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Part V of the housing and planning act 2000
    I would imagine.

A nice mix of someone paying €3000 a month on a 25 year mortgage versus someone paying a rent of €40.

Welcome to Ireland indeed.

imme wrote: »
    I would imagine.

A nice mix of someone paying €3000 a month on a 25 year mortgage versus someone paying a rent of €40.

and I'm sure they'll both care for and appreciate the property in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Excuse my ignorance- but someone who gets a new build via social housing do they pay anything towards it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭malinheader

imme wrote: »
    I would imagine.

And they wonder in alot of cases why some people don't want to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

What I get from the OP is that there’s a quick turnaround in getting a second offer. That’s got to be good, right? I’m sure someone has taken house 1.

Fantastic news if you're looking for a council house. You can afford to be picky.

• Advertisement

hi! wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance- but someone who gets a new build via social housing do they pay anything towards it?

you pay 30-40 a week, except a lot don't, theres millions of arrears owed.
    and in over 60% of cases the tenant is only receiving social welfare so in reality we're paying for the lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

blanch152 wrote: »
    http://rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CSR-Q1-2019-1.pdf

June 2019 report on social housing has four or five developments in Portmarnock and at least one in Donabate.

Fingal are doing this in a lot of locations in North Dublin.I believe I saw another thread here with a link to the fact that Cluid Housing bought about 40 houses in a new development in Rush.Fingal may also have a number in the same development.
    I would be pretty sick if I paid almost 400k for a house and the lad around the corner got the exact same for free (or almost).I have no problem with having a social support system in the coutry but that doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

If it's from Dublin City Council, the main earner pays 15% of there weekly wage and any subsequent lodger pays 19e per week.

and in over 60% of cases the tenant is only receiving social welfare so in reality we're paying for the lot.

Wow that is so depressing

I live in a council house, and I pay more than 40 euro per week. I pay 15% of my weekly wage, and my family pay 20euro each.

Kamu wrote: »
    I live in a council house, and I pay more than 40 euro per week.

How much out of interest

Kamu wrote: »
    I live in a council house, and I pay more than 40 euro per week.

you probably work, but as before, over 60% of council tenants only receive money from welfare, so for them its 30-40 a week. 30-40 a week is the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

So we don't end up with black spots like we did in the past.

At least they were self contained black spots.

The current system is very unfair on people who work hard to pay for their own home.

At least they were self contained black spots.

The current system is very unfair on people who work hard to pay for their own home.

Or those who work hard but can’t afford their own home or rent and are stuck living at home with their parents in their late 20s :(

• Advertisement

How much out of interest

I pay 75 euro a week as my weekly wage is 500 euro. Total we pay 140 a week.

Advertisement