Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

bush wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you already own a house and want to get a second house and rent out the original house does the potential rent count as income when applying for a 2nd mortgage?

It can , but remember if you still owe any money on it that the combined mortgages amounts will be stress tested for your ability to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Is there an advantage to not going with a broker? Can you be given better deals or something? It seems a no brainer to go with a broker otherwise as it saves you the effort of having to go through all of the different offers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

OEP wrote: »
    Is there an advantage to not going with a broker? Can you be given better deals or something? It seems a no brainer to go with a broker otherwise as it saves you the effort of having to go through all of the different offers out there

Definitely talk to one, but don't waste too much time on it.

In my experience, the brokers only really take the low hanging fruit applications. They wanna be 90% sure they're gonna get it over the line before they invest any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Danger781 wrote: »
    I had no idea that the subsidy will affect our application until just now after reading the posts above. We met with a Broker two weeks ago and he never mentioned it. That will be so disheartening if it turns out to be the case. I'm 90% positive herself is getting the subsidy via work.

It will be on her payslips if she's getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

It's not common but there have been some interest rates that are not available through brokers.

This post is a really good run down of reasons you might not use a broker, although a lot of them depend on the individual broker.

At a high level I've seen that brokers are good fits for 'unique' applications like self-employed or commission-dependant house-seekers where the concern is more about meeting a bank's lending criteria rather than eking out every bit of value from a mortgage or the process going as quickly as possible.

For most people, it is probably an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy between them and the bank, but one that probably doesn't do too much harm either (although you might end up narrowing your options unknowingly).

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Definitely talk to one, but don't waste too much time on it.

In my experience, the brokers only really take the low hanging fruit applications. They wanna be 90% sure they're gonna get it over the line before they invest any time.

Mine will be a low hanging fruit one

• Administrators Posts: 53,385 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No benefit to going with a broker unless you feel you're going to be a problematic application.

Look at the banks, find one that has a mortgage product that you like and apply. It is a very easy process.

There is no point in applying at multiple banks unless you think there is a reason that one of them will refuse you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

awec wrote: »
    No benefit to going with a broker unless you feel you're going to be a problematic application.

Look at the banks, find one that has a mortgage product that you like and apply. It is a very easy process.

i went directly with the Bank. Straight forward and quick.

Has anyone gottten the BOI mortgage with the 2% cashback? Are there any conditions with that? What I'm wondering is could you go with the 1 year fixed, get the 2% cashback and then switch to a lower rate mortgage after the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I went with a broker as we needed my annual bonus taken into account to maximise the LTI and we wanted fast approval as we had viewed a house we liked and wanted to place a bid (now sale agreed). We initially wanted to go with the bank we use for daily banking, but our broker advised us that they were being incredibly slow to process applications and get back to queries.

We applied to that bank and another bank and got approval 3 weeks earlier from the other bank compared with our everyday bank. Our broker had a good account manager at the other bank, who helped speed things up.

Everyday bank also refused to take my bonus into account despite me getting a steady bonus for the past 9 years. They also asked for documentation that was already provided, slowing things down further for us. We wouldn't have got the house if we applied alone and went with our everyday bank, as we had planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

mojesius wrote: »
    I went with a broker as we needed my annual bonus taken into account to maximise the LTI and we wanted fast approval as we had viewed a house we liked and wanted to place a bid (now sale agreed). We initially wanted to go with the bank we use for daily banking, but our broker advised us that they were being incredibly slow to process applications and get back to queries.

We applied to that bank and another bank and got approval 3 weeks earlier from the other bank compared with our everyday bank. Our broker had a good account manager at the other bank, who helped speed things up.

Everyday bank also refused to take my bonus into account despite me getting a steady bonus for the past 9 years. They also asked for documentation that was already provided, slowing things down further for us. We wouldn't have got the house if we applied alone and went with our everyday bank, as we had planned.

Mind me asking what bank did accept your bonus? And how many years did ye need to prove? We've gotten our for the past 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mind me asking what bank did accept your bonus? And how many years did ye need to prove? We've gotten our for the past 3

PTSB - They wanted to see proof of the last 3 years only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Danger781 wrote: »
    I had no idea that the subsidy will affect our application until just now after reading the posts above. We met with a Broker two weeks ago and he never mentioned it. That will be so disheartening if it turns out to be the case. I'm 90% positive herself is getting the subsidy via work.

Did your broker say anything more on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foodie2012

Hey guys, really useful thread guiding us through the mortgage process, thanks!

We currently have a mortgage application in with our broker who has assured us he can get us €7k higher than our current BOI AIP due to bonus and overtime. I only started my current job last year, so I've only received 1 years bonus from them. Would it be very unlikely that the bonus would be considered as part of the mortgage application? Considering some posters here aren't getting aknowledged for strong year-on-year bonuses, I think my one year bonus is very unlikely to bump us up the €7k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Has anyone gottten the BOI mortgage with the 2% cashback? Are there any conditions with that? What I'm wondering is could you go with the 1 year fixed, get the 2% cashback and then switch to a lower rate mortgage after the year

That's what I'm doing. Went through broker and got multiple assurances that I could break after the 2 year fix (and that also there would be no clawback from broker). Broker even has it in his calendar to sort out the switch for me, 18 months from now.

If you look on the moneysavingexpert forums there's lads switching mortgage about 5 times and reaping the benefits, bit too much legal hassle for me tbh but fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

The delays with AIB are now getting ridiculous. I've got AIP and genuinely think it might be quicker to start from scratch with a new bank.

Foodie2012 wrote: »
    Hey guys, really useful thread guiding us through the mortgage process, thanks!

We currently have a mortgage application in with our broker who has assured us he can get us €7k higher than our current BOI AIP due to bonus and overtime. I only started my current job last year, so I've only received 1 years bonus from them. Would it be very unlikely that the bonus would be considered as part of the mortgage application? Considering some posters here aren't getting aknowledged for strong year-on-year bonuses, I think my one year bonus is very unlikely to bump us up the €7k?

That would be hard to say.

The reason for this that with bank of Ireland they provide you with a Mortgage Application Salary Certification form.

This is to be completed by your employer.

Its asks for Current and the past 2 years Bonuses as this is in relation to Bonus consistency.

I dont know if One bonus year will increase your AIP of 7K

The delays with AIB are now getting ridiculous. I've got AIP and genuinely think it might be quicker to start from scratch with a new bank.

Sorry to hear this.

Waiting on AIP from BOI and it's a few days overdue but nothing alarming yet. Still, I would just like an answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sorry to hear this.

Waiting on AIP from BOI and it's a few days overdue but nothing alarming yet. Still, I would just like an answer :)

They were about two weeks later than expected for me. (Got mine last week).

errlloyd wrote: »
    They were about two weeks later than expected for me. (Got mine last week).

Thanks for the info. I should probably stop holding my breath so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Hi folks,

So originally i thought only a Rebuilding Ireland mortgage would be suitable for me because they are willing to accept < 3 years guaranteed overtime. AIB said even though i receive 700 a month guaranteed on top of my wages but as i haven't been receiving this for 3 years they cant add any of it onto the salary figure whereas the Rebuilding Ireland loan requires 6-12 months according to the DCC when i rang them.

I kind of assumed all the major banks would also want the 3 year figure but maybe thats not the case, does anyone know if other banks are less strict with this?

I know nobody will add the whole lot into my salary figures but just 3-4k from it will be enough.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Has anyone tried getting a mortgage with a European bank? I see the interest rates are about 1% whereas the cheapest I see here is 3.15%

• Administrators Posts: 53,385 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

heffo500 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried getting a mortgage with a European bank? I see the interest rates are about 1% whereas the cheapest I see here is 3.15%

You can't. No European bank (that doesn't already have a banking operation in Ireland) will offer you a mortgage on a property in Ireland.

Hi folks,

So originally i thought only a Rebuilding Ireland mortgage would be suitable for me because they are willing to accept < 3 years guaranteed overtime. AIB said even though i receive 700 a month guaranteed on top of my wages but as i haven't been receiving this for 3 years they cant add any of it onto the salary figure whereas the Rebuilding Ireland loan requires 6-12 months according to the DCC when i rang them.

I kind of assumed all the major banks would also want the 3 year figure but maybe thats not the case, does anyone know if other banks are less strict with this?

I know nobody will add the whole lot into my salary figures but just 3-4k from it will be enough.

Thanks guys

Were you doing overtime in 2018?

Or only this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

zweton wrote: »
    Did your broker say anything more on this?

I haven't asked him about this yet. We can't apply until September until I've passed my probationary period at work. I figure I'd just wait until then and cross that bridge if we need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Jog501

It's beyond a joke now, everything is ready to go for me and I've been waiting on the letter of offer for 3 weeks. I'm going to give it to the end of the week and then tell them I'm going to go to KBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Were you doing overtime in 2018?

Or only this year?

Hi Duke,

I have been doing it since January this year

Hi Duke,

I have been doing it since January this year

I know with Bank of Ireland They take Overtime into account once its stated by your employer in the Salary Cert.

The only thing is that it asks for Overtime for the Current Year, Last Year and 2 Years ago.

• Advertisement

I know with Bank of Ireland They take Overtime into account once its stated by your employer in the Salary Cert.

The only thing is that it asks for Overtime for the Current Year, Last Year and 2 Years ago.

Thats interesting, It might be worth me giving them a bell and seeing even if i waited until Jan 2020 would it be any use.

Advertisement