Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: So we all know this is a 'controversial' game, but we already have two threads talking about the loot box stuff (one on this game particularly as opposed to the wider topic). If you want to discuss that, can we request you take to those threads and leave this for those who are playing the game and want to discuss it on its own terms rather than be lectured for buying it :)

Don't want to shut down the discussion or anything, but realistically there will be people playing who don't want to hear about 'the outrage' every time they post so better to keep to the dedicated thread rather than overlapping. Thanks all!

Other thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm pretty sure this isn't the fist game and EA aren't the first company that has done this. Can you buy your way to better stuff in COD, Battlefield, CS GO, Overwatch etc.? Of course you can.

The way I see it, the most expensive crate in game is 4000 credits, you can earn that easily in game in about 40 minutes you can also earn credits by hitting challenges etc. I'm NEVER going to buy a lootcrate in this game and I can hold my own no problem the way it is now. And I'm not by any means great at multiplayer games at all.

Hey guys,

Can anyone clarify please is it possible to play as Darth Vadar? Getting this as a gift for someone and I know the first thing he's going to want to do is get Darth Vadar. I know that it was possible to purchase the character, but now with the transactions gone will he have much work to unlock Darth Vadar? Is it even possible to unlock him at all at the moment?!

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can still play as Vader. You just need to unlock him with in-game credits.

Took me about 2 hours to unlock him.

• Advertisement

Took me about 2 hours to unlock him.

Excellent, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm pretty sure this isn't the fist game and EA aren't the first company that has done this. Can you buy your way to better stuff in COD, Battlefield, CS GO, Overwatch etc.? Of course you can.

Not positive about COD: WW2 but the other games you've mentioned are all cosmetic only. Pretty sure COD as well is almost entirely cosmetic.

Eurogamer are now reporting that physical sales of BF2 are actually down 60% compared to the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The way I see it, the most expensive crate in game is 4000 credits, you can earn that easily in game in about 40 minutes you can also earn credits by hitting challenges etc. I'm NEVER going to buy a lootcrate in this game and I can hold my own no problem the way it is now. And I'm not by any means great at multiplayer games at all.

You actually can't buy your way to better stats in Overwatch.

All their lootcrates are cosmetics: Skins, emotes, voice lines & spray tags.

I stand corrected, but my point is it's not the first game to have it. Did you know however, whatever you get in the lootcrates cannot be applied to any characters without actually levelling them up by playing the game first? Also as far as I can tell you don't get any guns in them either, all guns are unlocked by completing milestones. By the time you get to that stage of unlocking the star cards you would have already earned enough credits by just playing anyway.

EA made the system way too complicated and didn't do a good job of explaining any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I stand corrected, but my point is it's not the first game to have it. Did you know however, whatever you get in the lootcrates cannot be applied to any characters without actually levelling them up by playing the game first? Also as far as I can tell you don't get any guns in them either, all guns are unlocked by completing milestones. By the time you get to that stage of unlocking the star cards you would have already earned enough credits by just playing anyway.

EA made the system way too complicated and didn't do a good job of explaining any of this.
    Even if they're not the first to do it, it doesn't excuse them using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Going by Jericoholioc's posts and as someone who hasn't played the game what EA have done doesn't actually look as bad as is being made out. I think the problem with it however is they were pushing it towards P2W, which is not a good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm still waiting on my copy to be delivered.

Playing the early access every now and then and gameplay wise it's brilliant. I'm intrigued to see how this game plays out after New Year. I'm also looking to see what future DLC they'll bring.

The more I play it, the better it gets. All DLC will be free too which is class. It just takes a while to level up your class, but that's the same for everyone. Starfighter assault is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The more I play the more I have mixed feelings about it. I was hoping it would be that good that'd I'd never play BF1 again. I was hoping BF2 would be BF1 on steroids. But it's not.

I'm not big into the space fighter stuff and the full on big teams big maps assault type FPS stuff is very chaotic. I like small teams FPS objective based matches and always thought that Capture the Flag or similar was the best format. Cargo in BF1 is pretty cool that way.

So while I like the campaign, I find - as far as the FPS or 3PS element is concerned - the look and feel in BF2 very different to BF1 and the only small team objective game mode in BF2 is Strike and it isn't blowing me away.
    Generally speaking the characters are just too slow and the weapons too clumsy for a good FPS match. Cargo in BF1 beats Strike in BF2 hands down.

I will give it more time, but so far every time I played after a while I went back to BF1 for a 'proper match'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just bought this for €25 in PS Store. 88 GB!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AndrewTW

Going to give this another go...Has it improved? since launch

AndrewTW wrote: »
    Going to give this another go...Has it improved? since launch

It's now respecting parental controls on the Xbox instead of outright blocking all under 13 accounts. Little lad can now play his Christmas present, Happy Christmas!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Old thread but wow has this game changed for the better,its fantastic now with lots of content.
    Shame it didnt release like it is now but better late than never.
    Player count has increased hugely recently on PC so im sure its similar on all formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Have dipped in and out of this recently, definitely a lot of fun. Very arcady feel to it but that's what I'm looking for in a star wars shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Picked it back up there with the Celebration update and after playing a bit of Fallen Order and wanting more of a Star Wars fix.

Wow. This is not the game it was on release. It feels much, much closer to Battlefront of old, in a really good way. Totally fixed all the pay-for-play elements, introduced tonnes of new content and all in all I'd say a really fun and varied DICE multiplayer experience. It feels like its own thing, not Battlefield in a Star Wars wrapper. And props to the Droid army for funniest quips while playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Started playing this recently on PS4. It's a very pretty game I'll give it that. Does anyone ever use coms to coordinate? Seems like every battle is a huge cluster**** and then someone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

fixXxer wrote: »
    Started playing this recently on PS4. It's a very pretty game I'll give it that. Does anyone ever use coms to coordinate? Seems like every battle is a huge cluster**** and then someone wins.

Welcome to DICE games generally. Squad up with mates but otherwise don’t expect much coordination bar what happens with the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really enjoying it. bought it for 5-6 euro last week.
    Coming from Jedi Order i fancied a bit more Star Wars and this delivered. I'm loving the campaign, on hard difficulty it's quite fun.

I didn't go near this on release because of the controversy and the single player was supposed to be dull but i disagree after 2 hours so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It's hard to make sense of the damage in this game. Guy survives 3 seconds close range from me but I get one shot killed by an Officer

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I've been playing it a lot in the last week or so, such a great multiplayer game. Feels like chaos when explosions and laser blasts are happening all around you.
    It really does feel like the films with the epic battles.
    The space battles are good fun but the controls take a bit of time to get used to.

Advertisement