Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew cab/ passenger jeep

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I need a new jeep and/or new car, both are driven into the ground and not worth fixing. A crew cab would be ideal for the farm and kids but I travel 25,000km to work each year and put up a good share of miles on short runs to school/football etc.
    I do a lot of trailer work and ideally would like a 3 litre like a Hilux with commercial tax which will carry children and pull a trailer for 20k. Problem is it’ll cost €2500 in diesel to bring me to work each year plus the extra running costs associated with this kind of machine. Think 3/4 of this expense can go through the farm so maybe not as dear as it looks.
    Other option is to buy an older jeep and a car for 10k each.
    Any advice on what to buy? Anyone else doing similar mileage in a jeep/crew cab?

My advice would be to buy a good crewcab and have one decent vehicle capable of doing all that's asked of it. I see a lot of lad's locally running both a jeep and a car and I can't see the point in it tbh. You've twice the running costs straight away just to save a few extra euro in diesel, by the time you tax, test, insure, maintain and keep fuel in the second vehicle any jeep will look good value to run. The main lad's I hear giving out about Jeep's are the ones who don't own one, anyone with a good jeep usually tells me they'd be lost without it.

I bought an 08 Ford ranger this time last year and have done 20,000 miles with it since. Touch wood it's a topping yolk and is never off the road and usually has a trailer of some description on tow. I'd say it averages about 28mpg on mixed journeys and towing. Yes it's nothing to rave about as regards fuel economy but I'll suffer that as it's definitely the best money I've spent in a while.

The Toyota has always been hard bet down through the year's, having said that the newer 3.2 Ranger is getting very popular although I'm told there thirsty enough. I've never had much experience of the L200 and the newer Dmax is gone to a 1.9 so I'd wonder how much power would be available. If you're doing lots of serious towing then ideally you'll want a 3 litre, yes a 2.5 can do the job but you'll need to drive accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What about the toureg? Can be got in 3l. My Machine of choice at the moment, well dreaming really. If you want a pickup vw also have the amorak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What about the toureg? Can be got in 3l. My Machine of choice at the moment, well dreaming really. If you want a pickup vw also have the amorak

Think the road tax on the toureg would be higher than a crew cab but it is an option and they drive as good as any car. Not sure are they built tough enough for farm life though.

My advice would be to buy a good crewcab and have one decent vehicle capable of doing all that's asked of it. I see a lot of lad's locally running both a jeep and a car and I can't see the point in it tbh. You've twice the running costs straight away just to save a few extra euro in diesel, by the time you tax, test, insure, maintain and keep fuel in the second vehicle any jeep will look good value to run. The main lad's I hear giving out about Jeep's are the ones who don't own one, anyone with a good jeep usually tells me they'd be lost without it.

I bought an 08 Ford ranger this time last year and have done 20,000 miles with it since. Touch wood it's a topping yolk and is never off the road and usually has a trailer of some description on tow. I'd say it averages about 28mpg on mixed journeys and towing. Yes it's nothing to rave about as regards fuel economy but I'll suffer that as it's definitely the best money I've spent in a while.

The Toyota has always been hard bet down through the year's, having said that the newer 3.2 Ranger is getting very popular although I'm told there thirsty enough. I've never had much experience of the L200 and the newer Dmax is gone to a 1.9 so I'd wonder how much power would be available. If you're doing lots of serious towing then ideally you'll want a 3 litre, yes a 2.5 can do the job but you'll need to drive accordingly.

Thanks. The ideal machine would be a fresh 3l Hilux but maybe I’d compromise with the 2.5l for the commute. All food for thought.

Some serious amount of rangers and rapturs on the road, seems the big choice these days

Yeah the ranger is nice looking, never drove one but heard they are thirsty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yeah the ranger is nice looking, never drove one but heard they are thirsty

Load of them about though. Must be handy money somewhere

_Brian wrote: »
    Load of them about though. Must be handy money somewhere

There's plenty of the 2.2 version on donedeal for right money but I'm told there not suited to farming/towing. The 3.2 seem to hold there value better and I know a good few lads that have bought them in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Would the pick up type vehicles be as comfortable to drive compared to say a landcruiser/discovery crew cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

As far as I know it’s anything from min 50 to 75% is no questions asked and most would be going towards the 75%.

If you get an audit it would have to be able to be justified

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My brother bought a three year old business class landcruiser a month ago, lovely to sit in but a bit gutless, older landcruiser had more raw power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My brother bought a three year old business class landcruiser a month ago, lovely to sit in but a bit gutless, older landcruiser had more raw power

Is it automatic, I fancied buying one a couple of years ago and I found the automatic weird when I tried it towing

Is he doing much trailer work with it?

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it automatic, I fancied buying one a couple of years ago and I found the automatic weird when I tried it towing

As far as I'm aware, all those business class five seaters are automatic, his old cruiser was automatic too ,no issue with towing, perhaps modern diesels are too refined to meet emissions?

Is he doing much trailer work with it?

Thee odd bit but even taking off ,it's sluggish, lovely on the motorway but a bit barge like on small roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Think the road tax on the toureg would be higher than a crew cab but it is an option and they drive as good as any car. Not sure are they built tough enough for farm life though.

I just see some on dd are down are crewcab

The Touareg was officially sold as a crew cab by VW, I would think the majority of the previous model were sold as crewcab actually as they were a much cheaper option of vat registered people to buy one.

They are a lovely jeep and 3500kg towing capacity but they are expensive if paying the vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As far as I'm aware, all those business class five seaters are automatic, his old cruiser was automatic too ,no issue with towing, perhaps modern diesels are too refined to meet emissions?

Biggest problem buying Jeeps now I'd they are designed to tow a max of 3.5T. Older Jeeps were straight diesel power units. Now with the advent of as blue and electronic's to max turbo's most engine's have gone softer as well most are designed with leisure industry in mind.

However on the other side of the equation the size of cattle boxes has increased over the last 10-15 years. 15 years ago a 12X5 boxes were the preferred size. Present day 14X6is the most common but I have seen 16X6 boxes. IW even make a 16X7 box. The recommended max pay load on a 12X14 box is only about 2.5ton or 4X630kg bullock's. It seldom you'll see a box that size with that few bullocks in it. I seen them with 6 in no 700kg bullocks that 4.2T and add the trailer weight you hitting 5.5T.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I like the newish type 17/ 18 Ford ranger and can get them handy enough 20K would get you a fairly good one, compare
    to the Hylux mad money for them second hand not a big ford fan but I like the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

kerryjack wrote: »
    I like the newish type 17/ 18 Ford ranger and can get them handy enough 20K would get you a fairly good one, compare
    to the Hylux mad money for them second hand not a big ford fan but I like the look of them.

Lovely looking jeeps in fairness and have been tempted to go for a 16 plate but i've been told by a few people the engines are soft enough, i've also seen a good few on DD that are on their second engine or have been rebuilt, these would have been around the 2012 vintage.

Biggest problem buying Jeeps now I'd they are designed to tow a max of 3.5T. Older Jeeps were straight diesel power units. Now with the advent of as blue and electronic's to max turbo's most engine's have gone softer as well most are designed with leisure industry in mind.

However on the other side of the equation the size of cattle boxes has increased over the last 10-15 years. 15 years ago a 12X5 boxes were the preferred size. Present day 14X6is the most common but I have seen 16X6 boxes. IW even make a 16X7 box. The recommended max pay load on a 12X14 box is only about 2.5ton or 4X630kg bullock's. It seldom you'll see a box that size with that few bullocks in it. I seen them with 6 in no 700kg bullocks that 4.2T and add the trailer weight you hitting 5.5T.

Your correct on the trailer size increasing as I see it first hand about the marts. It's only in the last 10 year's that the 14 foot trailers really started to appear in numbers, up until that a 12×5"10 was considered a big trailer. Now a 14×5"10 is standard size and I see a good few 16 footers appearing in the last 12 months. Once you go to that size of a trailer and load it to capacity then it's well fit to test any jeep. You'd be better off with a lorry imo although that brings it's own challenges. I know a good few lads pulling 16 foot Porter's and Graham Edwards with crewcabs and there an awkward parcel in a tight spot. Your talking an outfit roughly 35 foot long and near 8 foot wide, that takes a bit of driving no matter how handy you are.

• Advertisement

Looking like I’m on the look out for a crew cab so :)

How about taking a chance on a jeep grand cherokee ?

They improved no end after 2011 ,loads of power thanks to a fiat engine, transmission post 2011 is ZF which are in BMW etc

More European than American nowadays, in fact JEEP are owned by Fiat now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Lovely looking jeeps in fairness and have been tempted to go for a 16 plate but i've been told by a few people the engines are soft enough, i've also seen a good few on DD that are on their second engine or have been rebuilt, these would have been around the 2012 vintage.

A neighbour bought one in the spring there. It heated on him coming home from the Mart, she got fairly hot, more often than not it's the reason why they get new engines, they warp.
    Luckily the engine was fine.

The EGR valve went on it and caused it to heat, theres 2 of them and they need to be changed every 100km.
    He would have bought a hilux if he was to go back again

Has anyone any experience of a Ssangyong Musso? I think there a 2.2 litre. I see a few starting to appear locally but there not about long enough to critique them. There not especially cheap and I'd imagine there trade in against anything else would be nearly none existent.

How about taking a chance on a jeep grand cherokee ?

They improved no end after 2011 ,loads of power thanks to a fiat engine, transmission post 2011 is ZF which are in BMW etc

More European than American nowadays, in fact JEEP are owned by Fiat now

Fiat? You are not selling it to me :)

I like L200’s myself. Think they look well and if you get the higher models the seats and equipment level look good and they seem to be well priced too.

Slight thing to keep in mind, if you buy in the north the VAT is only 20% or if you hold off until September the VAT is down to 21% here. Not massive savings but something to keep a few extra bob in your pocket. Crew cabs do appear well priced up north too.

I like L200’s myself. Think they look well and if you get the higher models the seats and equipment level look good and they seem to be well priced too.

Slight thing to keep in mind, if you buy in the north the VAT is only 20% or if you hold off until September the VAT is down to 21% here. Not massive savings but something to keep a few extra bob in your pocket. Crew cabs do appear well priced up north too.

Wonder by the time the vrt is paid is it worth it. Although they seem to be a higher spec and better minded alright.

Fiat? You are not selling it to me :)

Fiat make a great diesel engine, always have

Has anyone any experience of a Ssangyong Musso? I think there a 2.2 litre. I see a few starting to appear locally but there not about long enough to critique them. There not especially cheap and I'd imagine there trade in against anything else would be nearly none existent.

I test drove one a year ago, not too bad at all

Depreciation would be enormous however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Wonder by the time the vrt is paid is it worth it. Although they seem to be a higher spec and better minded alright.

Well worth it for spec alone
    Only thing with buying a UK model
    Get them washed & sprayed underneath
    They use allot of salt in winter

Advertisement