Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew cab/ passenger jeep

Options
  • 24-07-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭

I need a new jeep and/or new car, both are driven into the ground and not worth fixing. A crew cab would be ideal for the farm and kids but I travel 25,000km to work each year and put up a good share of miles on short runs to school/football etc.
    I do a lot of trailer work and ideally would like a 3 litre like a Hilux with commercial tax which will carry children and pull a trailer for 20k. Problem is it’ll cost €2500 in diesel to bring me to work each year plus the extra running costs associated with this kind of machine. Think 3/4 of this expense can go through the farm so maybe not as dear as it looks.
    Other option is to buy an older jeep and a car for 10k each.
    Any advice on what to buy? Anyone else doing similar mileage in a jeep/crew cab?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I need a new jeep and/or new car, both are driven into the ground and not worth fixing. A crew cab would be ideal for the farm and kids but I travel 25,000km to work each year and put up a good share of miles on short runs to school/football etc.
    I do a lot of trailer work and ideally would like a 3 litre like a Hilux with commercial tax which will carry children and pull a trailer for 20k. Problem is it’ll cost €2500 in diesel to bring me to work each year plus the extra running costs associated with this kind of machine. Think 3/4 of this expense can go through the farm so maybe not as dear as it looks.
    Other option is to buy an older jeep and a car for 10k each.
    Any advice on what to buy? Anyone else doing similar mileage in a jeep/crew cab?

Have an L200 crewcab at home and a auris commercial van for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It really depends on what towing capacity you need on the Jeep. I have a 2010 RAV paid 7K for it last year towing capacity 2ton 40mpg. Other haf drives a 2015 IX35 it dose 50mpg it cost 15k last year. Both bought privately. Tax on RAV is 390 I think the IX is 200ish.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It really depends on what towing capacity you need on the Jeep. I have a 2010 RAV paid 7K for it last year towing capacity 2ton 40mpg. Other haf drives a 2015 IX35 it dose 50mpg it cost 15k last year. Both bought privately. Tan on Tab is 390 I think the IX is 200ish.

Pulling a tri-axel need 3500kg towing capacity and space for 3-4 children. suppose I could put them in the trailer :D

Have an L200 crewcab at home and a auris commercial van for work.

Problem with the van is when I have to pick kids up on the way home from work. It wouldnt work

Pulling a tri-axel need 3500kg towing capacity and space for 3-4 children. suppose I could put them in the trailer :D

Hilux is about the only crewcab that is legal at that TC. It other CC's are nearly sub that weight. A LC will be legal up to that as well but mpg is the issue.

Know one lad locally that opted to get a trailer for the tractor rather than go the CC or LC option. He bought an old Honda crv for himself they have a car as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Id get a nice crew-cab and swallow the increased fuel bill, with tax write off it shouldn’t really cost that much more and in fact you are saving on insuring, taxing, nct/doe and servicing two vehicles so debatable really if that would actually cost more.

Also doubt you will be able to put both vehicles against tax so you would be losing out in that two, you could write off the crew-cab with capital allowances so more saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Have you any BIK tax issues having the crew cab as a farm jeep and using it for some personal use?

Hilux is about the only crewcab that is legal at that TC. It other CC's are nearly sub that weight. A LC will be legal up to that as well but mpg is the issue.

Know one lad locally that opted to get a trailer for the tractor rather than go the CC or LC option. He bought an old Honda crv for himself they have a car as well.

Ranger and L200 both have 3500kg towing capacity.
    alps wrote: »
    Have you any BIK tax issues having the crew cab as a farm jeep and using it for some personal use?

Sole traders don’t have BIK, pretty much every crew cab in the country is used as the op is describing his use.

alps wrote: »

Don't think so. Think 3/4 of diesel expenses can be put down against farm work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ranger and L200 both have 3500kg towing capacity.

Sole traders don’t have BIK, pretty much every crew cab in the country is used as the op is describing his use.

Is that just newer L200’s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don’t forget crew-cabs can be LWB 7 seaters with back 2 seats removed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I test drove a Fiat Fullback a year ago, didn't buy it but thought it was very good, there a mitsubishi L200 by another name, probably a good bit cheaper second hand however as they haven't sold well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Talk to your accountant, work out capital allowances etc and see how the options would compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I'm confused by your sums here, help me out. If the 25k is to your off-farm job, and you put up a good bit of other personal mileage, how does 75% of this cost go through as a farm expense...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Id get a nice crew-cab and swallow the increased fuel bill, with tax write off it shouldn’t really cost that much more and in fact you are saving on insuring, taxing, nct/doe and servicing two vehicles so debatable really if that would actually cost more.

Also doubt you will be able to put both vehicles against tax so you would be losing out in that two, you could write off the crew-cab with capital allowances so more saving.

found the same, have a jeep and often thought of getting small car but with fragmented farm jeep is handy for moving cattle, factory etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Would it be worth the OP’s while registering for VAT and reclaiming the VAT on his diesel use ?

I'm confused by your sums here, help me out. If the 25k is to your off-farm job, and you put up a good bit of other personal mileage, how does 75% of this cost go through as a farm expense...?

It’s the standard accept amount for farmers to claim on their personal car if it’s used for farming, it doesn’t actually bear any resemblance to actual usage at all for the vast majority of part time farmers.
    found the same, have a jeep and often thought of getting small car but with fragmented farm jeep is handy for moving cattle, factory etc.

Yeah unless you actually want the second car anyway it is very unlikely to be cheaper to run a second car and a Jeep than just a Jeep which you commute with as well as farm use. Like tax at least 300, insurance 600, nct 50, servicing 200 thats 1100 before even considering repairs and the fuel it’s free. You will put a lot of diesel in a jeep for 1100 before you even cover the cost of the basics on a second car and in reality it’s only the difference in fuel cost you save not all the fuel cost.

I’m not against second cars at all this is more so from the point of seeing it as a saving vs diesel in the jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Big crew van could be worth considering if you could put up with the reduced comfort and you don't go offroad with the trailers.

Nearly all of the powerful ones have a 3000kg towing capacity.
    The heavyduty rwd versions would have a 3500kg one.

2.3 Fiat Ducato can even be got with a fancy auto box.

Your budget would get ya something well up in the years compared to 4x4 crewcab pickups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Get yourself down to a few dealers Nissan,mitsubishi,Toyota, isuzu . Find the time if you can drive em all . You will soon narrow it down.even if your not going new.

Toyota are not what they once were. Check out the chassis on any 2nd hand ones. Rust on some even fresh would surprise anyone.

Isuzu d max here. 1.9 good economy. Super steering lock, plenty of room front and back.
    If you've a heavy right foot, maybe not for you. 3500kg braked towing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The ranger is 3.5, anyone any stories about them, are they reliable

• Advertisement

Seem to remember a story about a rotting door sill on one only 2year old over on the motoring forum last year or so.
    sorry no good at linking

Would it be worth the OP’s while registering for VAT and reclaiming the VAT on his diesel use ?

Don’t think this would work out. Totted it up a few years ago and it might end up costing money. Vat from cattle sales would have to be repaid. And the extra paperwork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

ruwithme wrote: »
    Get yourself down to a few dealers Nissan,mitsubishi,Toyota, isuzu . Find the time if you can drive em all . You will soon narrow it down.even if your not going new.

Toyota are not what they once were. Check out the chassis on any 2nd hand ones. Rust on some even fresh would surprise anyone.

Isuzu d max here. 1.9 good economy. Super steering lock, plenty of room front and back.

What’s the mpg like with the 1.9 dmax when not towing ?

ruwithme wrote: »

Talking to a man a few weeks ago, said the Isuzu has no power. Could be a good compromise though fuel efficiency wise though. How do you find it for towing? Often pull 3+ tonne of cattle here.

As i said if you have a heavy right foot you will be disappointed. I don't have one. She's a nice steady oul bus is how i might describe her.she will tow any livestock trailer loaded like any jeep will.you will just find yourself using a gear or two more often than say a 3litre Toyota.

Anything up to 35 mile to the gallon she will do without trailer. I think its pretty good for a yoke of her ability all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

It’s the standard accept amount for farmers to claim on their personal car if it’s used for farming, it doesn’t actually bear any resemblance to actual usage at all for the vast majority of part time farmers.

Really? Is that written down anywhere, or just an unwritten kind of thing?

That's a nice perk isn't it, when you think about it. If you're a high rate PAYE earner, driving 25k kms a year, your motoring bill (including tax, insurance, servicing, maintenance, tyres and fuel) is probably at least 4-5 grand.

Considering the farm/business usage is actually more like 20% than 75% in that case, between the running costs and capital allowances that's about 2k extra a year into the farmer's pocket, on a nod and a wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some serious amount of rangers and rapturs on the road, seems the big choice these days

That's a nice perk isn't it, when you think about it. If you're a high rate PAYE earner, driving 25k kms a year, your motoring bill (including tax, insurance, servicing, maintenance, tyres and fuel) is probably at least 4-5 grand.

Considering the farm/business usage is actually more like 20% than 75% in that case, between the running costs and capital allowances that's about 2k extra a year into the farmer's pocket, on a nod and a wink.

Bejayus I never have realized that

Slava Ukrainii

As far as I know it’s anything from min 50 to 75% is no questions asked and most would be going towards the 75%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

Drove a 3L Turbo Dmax crew cab in Ireland. Great machine to pull but heavy on fuel especially when hauling. Think it was 330e for tax and maybe 700 euro insurance. They don't do that engine size anymore though. Probably not the most comfortable. I had a high pressure fuel switch go which was the biggest repair. It was a common issue I was told. Also a few sensors gave trouble but overall was a great machine.

Advertisement