Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Cheque Query

Options
  • 24-07-2020 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I am holding a cheque for a grandchild whose Credit Union Account was closed recently when the CU stopped doing business and that CU is now trying to get a tieup with another CU which may or may not happen. The CU account holders were each sent a CU cheque for the amount held in their account at the date of closure. A cheque issued to my address for my grandchild (in his name of course)for the full account. So far so good and no problem there. Now, his parents do not want our grandchild to have access to this money at this stage and would favour having it placed in a holding account of some kind. He lives in England with his parents and they are not in favour of opening an English bank a/c for him at the present time either because that cannot be done without bringing him into the picture and that's a No/No at this stage.

The parents cannot lodge the cheque to their own account because it is made out to their son and he is unaware of the cash's existence. He will not become aware of this money for another couple of years when he will come into the full ownership of it courtesy of us.....his grandparents.

It involves a four figure sum in the midrange. Part of the intrigue surrounding the cashing of the cheque relates to the fact that the cheque is from an EU country (Ireland) and this complicates any intention to cash the cheque in a sterling area (U.K.). Covit has a bearing on this too because of the restricted travel etc.

Hope the situation has been explained satifactorily.
    We would be grateful for some words of wisdom as to our options.

Many tks
    J&M D2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Your options are zero - the cheque will have to be lodged into an account in the sons name - no other way around this. The cheque should be valid for 6 months if thats any help.

Sooty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You might get a better response in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

It not really a rip off, they paid out the funds, I assume the cheque is crossed.

KBC allow bank accounts to be setup online, it might be possible to setup a bank account for your grandchild online, assuming the parents supplied the required documention.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

You might get a better response in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

It not really a rip off, they paid out the funds, I assume the cheque is crossed.

KBC allow bank accounts to be setup online, it might be possible to setup a bank account for your grandchild online, assuming the parents supplied the required documention.

Don't know where rip-off gets into this. The cheque is good (issued by Credit Union League). The young man has now reached adulthood. We have the blessing of his parents in whatever we wish to do and they agree that he should not be given the money or even be made aware of it for approx 2 years. So how do we get a cheque in his name lodged to an account without he becoming aware of it.....that is the question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You posted in the Rip Off Ireland forum. Do you want me to move this to banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

If I understand your post correctly there was a bank account open for a person with a few grand sitting in it and this person knows nothing about the account. Also that this person is not a child but an adult. You now want to lodge a cheque made out to this person to another account again with them having no knowledge of same. Anti money laundering laws will prevent you from lodging this cheque to any account except an account held by the person named on the cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Open up a post office savings or another credit union account for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

L1011 wrote: »
    You posted in the Rip Off Ireland forum. Do you want me to move this to banking?
    That will not be necessary but thanks for the response. The matter will be resolved by us via another route.

Advertisement