Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STALKER 2 [PC & XB Series X]

Options
  • 24-07-2020 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭

Okay, so it's officially S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but ain't nobody got time for that. Anyway, it's finally happening, after years of false starts...

Roadside Picnic - the 1972 novel (and later film by Tarkovsky) on which the original game is based. The extra-terrestrial visitation zones of the book are replaced by the exclusion zone of the Chernobyl disaster in the games.

From the official site's FAQs;

So, what is STALKER 2?
    It’s a unique blend of fps, immersive sim and horror with a really thick atmosphere. One of the biggest open-worlds to date is yours to explore — along with an epic branching story with multiple endings.

Which platform is STALKER 2 going to be released on?
    The game will have a simultaneous release on PC and Xbox Series X. STALKER 2 will also enter Xbox game pass on console on day one.

Is it open-world?
    Yes. The zone in STALKER 2 is one of the biggest seamless open-worlds to date.

What about the story?
    The game will feature an epic, non-linear story. Your choices will influence both short-term consequences and global outcomes.

Does the trailer feature the in-game graphics?
    The trailer demonstrates the level of graphics and atmosphere we are aiming to achieve on release.

Do I have to complete the previous games before diving into STALKER 2?
    STALKER 2 is a standalone project that can be enjoyed on its own. At the same time, we recommend to complete the previous games for the maximum level of immersion.

When is the game out?
    We are not ready to disclose the release date just yet. Please follow the official social channels of STALKER 2 to receive development updates.

What locations will for sure be in the game?
    The game will take place inside the Chernobyl exclusion zone, with new locations being there along with the old ones.

I’ve seen an anomaly in the trailer, what about it?
    This is a new anomaly, and you will learn more about it in the game.

Will there be any new artifacts and mutants?
    For sure! We’re pretty excited about all the new stuff we are adding to the game, and we hope you’ll love it too.

Who was shown at the very end of the trailer? Was it the main protagonist?
    It’s a stalker — a hero of the zone.

Did trailer show the actual gameplay?
    The trailer is in-engine. Actual game models were used to create it.

What at about the mods?
    We’re fully committed to make modding as simple as possible on day one.

Can you tell a bit more about the technical part of the game?
    Visuals are critical for the immersion in the world we create, so there are a lot of modern technologies involved. STALKER 2 runs on unreal engine, and we use motion-capture (for both bodies and faces) and photogrammetry to achieve the required levels of realism.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I really liked the first Stalker. It was a rough Diamond.

My most distinct memory was a shoot out between myself, Bandits and other friendly Stalkers in a car scrap yard.
    At the end of the firefight there was a wounded bandit lying on the ground rolling around a little. Two friendly A.I. Stalkers on their own accord from the other side of the scrap yard met up and casually walked over to the wounded bandit while having a conversation. They stood over him for a few seconds, several times leaning over and looking down at him. Then one of the two just capped the guy in the head, then they casually walked off.

I remember been actually taken a back by it. The way it played out was so cold and brutal and the A.I did it in a perfectly believable and natural way.

The game's A.I was pretty good for the time, and the game had cracking atmosphere as well. Had a few quite tense survival horror moments.

Will be keeping an eye on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

Roadside Picnic - the 1972 novel (and later film by Tarkovsky) on which the original game is based
    Not really, they got some ideas from there, but mainly it's an original story with no aliens involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think this project’s history leads to some cause for caution. The numerous stops and starts and cancellations, the studio’s decade-long near silence (one semi-obscure remake of a strategy game aside) and the fact they’ve lost so many original team members certainly justify some reticence.

Still, it’s an interesting series, so one can only hope this is a worthwhile follow-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cordell wrote: »
    Not really, they got some ideas from there, but mainly it's an original story with no aliens involved.

Fine. "Loosely based", then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why was it cancelled in the first instance?

• Advertisement

IIRC the team left over money disagreements and they founded 4A Games, the ones behind Metro series.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Fine. "Loosely based", then.

:) I was just trying to do them justice, their additions to the writing is more relevant than what they got from the novel and the film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

IIRC the team left over money disagreements and they founded 4A Games, the ones behind Metro series.

So its not even the original team making it then?

It's not the original team, it's not an in house engine, and I have doubts about the funding.
    That being said, if the game is ever released I will definitely buy it, for old times sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I always regretted never playing the first one back in the day, think i was heavily invested in playing Counter strike and other MP's at the time, it looks a bit too dated for me to jump into and that decision was made a few years ago, here's hoping part two sees the light of day :)

• Advertisement

It is a slow and difficult game but this is what makes it so immersive, very atmospheric but also riddled with bugs.
    Also, since I've seen references to the first one, it's actually 3 of them, they released 2 sequels.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Actually one of them was a prequel :P

:) I was just trying to do them justice, their additions to the writing is more relevant than what they got from the novel and the film.

Sorry, didn't mean for my post to sound so passive aggressive! :o

Yeah, the worry is that this will be a sequel in name/setting only. As Azza mentions, the AI system (Artificial Life) in the original was class. I remember shooting some critter on the road. As I continued on, I heard a commotion behind me, turned around, and saw another animal drag the carcass of the first off into the bushes. It was a small touch, but left a lasting impression - it felt like you were in a strange inter-connected ecosystem. The fact they say they're aiming for Artificial Life 2.0 fills me with some hope at least.

My worry is that this will either get cancelled or suck :)
    Any hope I had died with that MP crap (STALKER BR ffs) and with that scam. If it gets out I will buy it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'd buy it for sure, really enjoyed the first one... which was the Collector's Edition. :D

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'd buy it for sure, really enjoyed the first one... which was the Collector's Edition. :D

Ah, the steel tin? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Ah, the steel tin? :D

STALKER-Shadow-Of-Chernobyl-COLLECTORS-RADIATION-LIMITED.jpg

Yup. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Can't wait for this, Shadow of Chernobyl is my favourite game of all time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Stalker was a quality game , some of the mods were even better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was watching the Digital Foundry video on Crysis and they made a point about PC gaming from this era, something that doesn't exist so much anymore: the PC was a bit of a playground of technical experimentation back then. Games like STALKER more focused on building new engines or technology than a cohesive and polished game. The first STALKER was one of those games; promising advanced systemic gameplay and NPC intelligence wrapped in a (then) large open world.

The final game was riddled with bugs and didn't quite deliver on a world that existed outside of the player's influence but it was a grand folly, not beholden to console uniformity or corporate focused development. So while I'm excited about a STALKER 2 and what it might entail, it makes me nostalgic for a time when PC gaming was full of these untempered horizons.

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    STALKER-Shadow-Of-Chernobyl-COLLECTORS-RADIATION-LIMITED.jpg

Yup. :p

Remember buying that on day one. I was around 14, the box was so great. Pretty sure I eventually went to chernobyl in real life because of the game.

Not expecting this to be out any time soon, especially when you read this kinda stuff (from GamingSym);
    The life simulation system A-life has become “more meticulous and more detailed.” All interactions between factions, monsters, NPCs will take place even while the player does not see it. “A-life 2.0 is a different level of performance. We’ll pay enough attention to it closer to release. It’s a wildly cool system that works really well and there will be something to show. “Bocharov gave an example of a fight between wild boars, the consequences of which the player can see. He did not disclose what would really work “at a new level”.

The open world of the Zone will offer a “non-linear storyline with a huge number of branches and different endings.” It is promised that the Zone will match the scale of history. The single-player mode is the main one in STALKER 2.

Mod support will be a priority thankfully, and may even be available on XB.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Never played the first game but love the setting and played the Metro series. I know Metro is a lot different but the setting reminds me of it.

This is one of the main Xbox/PC games I'm looking forward to.

New video from the devs. Nothing too exciting... some weapon and character models. You'll have to go to YouTube for the vid as it's age-restricted.

Nice. Should be one of the very first big UE5 titles that will have mod support.

*crossing fingers* please don't suck please don't be another Cyberpunk 2077

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still think this project sets off several alarm bells (not helped by the recent NFT furore), but hopefully extra development times means they'll actually put out a playable game eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

happy enough it's delayed . iv only played metro exodus this year on ps5 and wanted play another one the metro game sand / or chernobylite before this comes out .

Advertisement