Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I have had that before but I think it was to do with my crappy internet momentarily dropping out.

If you think it is the unit itself at fault then I would say Amazon would fire you out a new one no problems, after all if its not working properly then they are missing out on all that lovely data :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

McMurphy wrote: »
    My Alexa has become unresponsive both yesterday evening, and this morning before work. Switched it off and on at the wall last night and all was good again, but doing it again this morning again.

Say Alexa, it lights up, listens to the command, spins it's lights then says something about having difficulties right now.

It's happened me before, but not with such a short delay between - just wondering if it's happening to anyone else?

Any time I’ve had that issue it’s been my internet connection/router at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

use alexa to listen to radion. for last few days newstalk cuts out every so often. tell alexa to play newstalk radion adn it comes back on. very annoying though any ideas?
    very good internet so shouldnt be a problem with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

jem wrote: »
    use alexa to listen to radion. for last few days newstalk cuts out every so often. tell alexa to play newstalk radion adn it comes back on. very annoying though any ideas?

Same here,Its been happening on and off for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Same here,Its been happening on and off for a few weeks
    or jumps back 10 or so seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

jem wrote: »
    I use tunein is radion any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Sorry if this has been answered. I can't find info on what I'm looking for here or the Amazon website.

I have an Echo for the past few months (still a novice!) set up to my account. My husband wants to use it for spotify . His new headphones have an option to play from Alexa. We have family Spotify Premium. He has his own Amazon account.
    How do we best use the Echo with 2 separate accounts?
    I'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tina1040 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered. I can't find info on what I'm looking for here or the Amazon website.

I have an Echo for the past few months (still a novice!) set up to my account. My husband wants to use it for spotify . His new headphones have an option to play from Alexa. We have family Spotify Premium. He has his own Amazon account.
    I'm confused.

Echo dot ? One account per device

Shefwedfan wrote: »

No it's an Echo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't have any Amazon products myself but I think this is what you are looking for
    https://uk.pcmag.com/how-to/91896/how-to-let-multiple-people-use-the-same-amazon-echo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

shanec1928 wrote: »
    or jumps back 10 or so seconds?

yeah thats happened me a few times on Newstalk. I put it down to crap internet rather than the device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You can have at least 2 accounts on one echo but not at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

tina1040 wrote: »

I'm confused.
    is it the personalised playlists you need seperate accounts for? If its just to get spotify working just sign into it on your app using your family account details. I find the ecosystem works better with just one account for announcements etc.
    You could get him to get to sign into the alexa app on his phone using his amazon account and add that account as a second account on the echo(probably from your phone) and switch back and forth but its not practical to be honest.

iamtony wrote: »
    is it the personalised playlists you need seperate accounts for? If its just to get spotify working just sign into it on your app using your family account details. I find the ecosystem works better with just one account for announcements etc.
    You could get him to get to sign into the alexa app on his phone using his amazon account and add that account as a second account on the echo(probably from your phone) and switch back and forth but its not practical to be honest.

So it sounds like only one person can use it for lists, phone calls, checking amazon deliveries, reminders etc and others can only use it for questions, playing music from amazon, radio and other general stuff like home automation instructions?
    Hopefully there will eventually be a family version like Spotify family which works great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Newstalk not working on Alexa? Was fine until yesterday, alarm set to Newstalk on Tune In (on app - same as always but changed time) but didn't go off (apart from the single ad at the start!)

Doesn't work under normal voice instruction either now.

Still not working on Echo Spot (unless you want Jamaican or NZ NT) but fine on Sonos.
    Tried 'Newstalk fm' (which I use for google and works) and 'Nestalk Ireland'

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Same here,I keep getting Fox News Radio whenever I ask for Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

Still not working on Echo Spot (unless you want Jamaican or NZ NT) but fine on Sonos.
    Tried 'Newstalk fm' (which I use for google and works) and 'Nestalk Ireland'

Any ideas?

Had to add the Newstalk skill to get it. Not as smooth but works

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Communicorp-Media-Newstalk/dp/B07D3YSBFX/ref=nodl_

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Yes just add the Newstalk skill and away you go mine is perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can say open TuneIn.
    If Newstalk is the last station you listened to, it will play automatically.

Other option,

>open app > Play tab > tap 'TuneIn local radio' > select Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Yes just add the Newstalk skill and away you go mine is perfect.

Does Alexa always go through the intro to the skill or so there a way around that

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

wally79 wrote: »
    Does Alexa always go through the intro to the skill or so there a way around that

Mine goes straight and plays Newstalk apart from Alexa saying playing newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Thought I was going mad, sane happened to me. Had to add the skill which works but the old habit is still there and it keeps pushing poxy 🦊 news!

bidiots wrote: »
    Thought I was going mad, sane happened to me. Had to add the skill which works but the old habit is still there and it keeps pushing poxy �� news!

Also, more annoyingly, I cannot set an alarm for Newstalk anymore. Worked since I got the device a couple of years ago, now it's Fox Newstalk or some Jamaican lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Also, more annoyingly, I cannot set an alarm for Newstalk anymore. Worked since I got the device a couple of years ago, now it's Fox Newstalk or some Jamaican lads!

What about manually setting up a routine? I wonder would that work. In the Alexa app go to routines and add new.
    When I say ‘wake up’ ....... then see if the response to that voice trigger allows you play Newstalk at a specified time.

Well now my Echo Dot has stopped working, well it can't find wifi. PIOAPIIA doesn't work. All other wifi gadgets working fine. She must of got sick of me shouting at her and her about her newstalk shortcomings

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Well now my Echo Dot has stopped working, well it can't find wifi. PIOAPIIA doesn't work. All other wifi gadgets working fine. She must of got sick of me shouting at her and her about her newstalk shortcomings

Any ideas?

Have you done a factory reset on it? Outside of that there isn't a whole lot to do, I've heard that Amazon are very forgiving with any issues so if you get onto their support they'll probably do a replacement for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Today FM constantly dropping today

Edit: it's actually happening on today fm's own live stream not echo/tunein

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Today FM constantly dropping today

Edit: it's actually happening on today fm's own live stream not echo/tunein
    Newstalk FM also dropping frequently today. Not just on Echo, but also streaming via their own website.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Have you done a factory reset on it? Outside of that there isn't a whole lot to do, I've heard that Amazon are very forgiving with any issues so if you get onto their support they'll probably do a replacement for you.

Reset worked thanks. Still no joy on setting as alarm unfortunately

Advertisement