Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy Watch

Options
  • 23-07-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there has been a thread on this already. My better half just got me a galaxy watch for my birthday so I am looking to use it for my golf now instead of my garmin S10. Does anyone know of any decent free apps that are compatible with the galaxy watch. Just a basic app that gives me my yardages is all I want. I am not overly interested in score counting on the watch.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used Hole19 for a while, and it was grand. It needs the phone to be within bluetooth range though, and it will give you the distance from where the phone is, not the watch, so be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Does shotscope require that your phone is sycned with watch as well? Like to leave the phone in the car when I'm out playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No, shotscope doesn't need the phone, except to close off your round and save it. On the course, it is its own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Does shotscope require that your phone is sycned with watch as well? Like to leave the phone in the car when I'm out playing.

No

Shotscope is watch only and you upload from watch to phone after round

Kiith wrote: »
    No, shotscope doesn't need the phone, except to close off your round and save it. On the course, it is its own thing.

Thanks for that. Was thinking of investing in one. The Garmin S62 looked impressive but way out of my price range. Plus probably too distracting. All I really need are distances to holes and hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Garmin S10/S20 - Pretty much all I need
    Garmin S62 - Lots of bells and whistles I want but dont really need

I am expecting the S62 to get a refresh with solar power within maybe a year, that seems to be what Garmin is doing to all the other lines and would be silly not to put solar into the golf line. Solar doesnt remove the need for charging but it does give you extended battery life.

Garmin S10/S20 - Pretty much all I need
    Garmin S62 - Lots of bells and whistles I want but dont really need

I am expecting the S62 to get a refresh with solar power within maybe a year, that seems to be what Garmin is doing to all the other lines and would be silly not to put solar into the golf line. Solar doesnt remove the need for charging but it does give you extended battery life.

Yeah it's a good idea but Garmin seem to want to make them sleek and small. I'm not sure how you would fit an adequately sized solar panel on the watch. And given the watch would likely remain covered by sleeve I'm not sure there is a need for solar panel. You should be able to get 10 hours out of a fully charged watch in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a good idea but Garmin seem to want to make them sleek and small. I'm not sure how you would fit an adequately sized solar panel on the watch. And given the watch would likely remain covered by sleeve I'm not sure there is a need for solar panel. You should be able to get 10 hours out of a fully charged watch in my opinion.

Don't think battery life is an issue on the S62. I charged mine last Friday, have played golf Sunday with it and its still at 43% today. Also had it tracking a couple of gym sessions and used the swing tempo function on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Kiith wrote: »
    I used Hole19 for a while, and it was grand. It needs the phone to be within bluetooth range though, and it will give you the distance from where the phone is, not the watch, so be aware of that.

Thanks Kiith, Ill give that a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Smart Caddy works fine on Galaxy watchs , the free version gives you front , middle and back , the premium version lets you record your scores number of putts etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement