Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Deals Northern Ireland

• 21-07-2020 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Heading up north in the next few days for work. Someone told me some great offers on beer across the border but don't know where to go. Will be in Belfast and driving back down.

Any advice or is it just hearsay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Check out tesco.com, asda.co uk and sainsburys.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We always hit Sainsburys or Asda when we go up. Sometimes its cheaper than down here and other times its on par tbh. But there tends to be more of a selection. Both shops have Lemon Gin (Asda are doing a lemon sherbet one too) - which we haven't been able to find here

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

One thing to look out for is cans are generally 330ml or 440ml, you don't get the 500ml cans very often.

Newry has Tesco and Sainsbury's but there's also retail parks between there and Belfast, ASDA would be worth a visit. You should as mentioned check the websites as each can have different offers on.

Spirits and wines tend to be cheaper, beer not as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

Would be looking at wine & beer, neither of us are spirit drinkers. Had a quick look and Asda does appear to be the cheapest. Anything else cheaper up north when shopping that you would recommend other than beer?

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Would be looking at wine & beer, neither of us are spirit drinkers. Had a quick look and Asda does appear to be the cheapest. Anything else cheaper up north when shopping that you would recommend other than beer?

Prescription drugs and paracetamol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

One thing to look out for is cans are generally 330ml or 440ml, you don't get the 500ml cans very often.

Newry has Tesco and Sainsbury's but there's also retail parks between there and Belfast, ASDA would be worth a visit. You should as mentioned check the websites as each can have different offers on.

Spirits and wines tend to be cheaper, beer not as often.

Atlantic Dawn

was up North few weeks back .. 20 pack bottles Coors light 11 Gbp Tesco / 12 Gbp Asda … 22- 25 Euro down south so nice saving ..spirits and wines reasonable as well but like all said shop around before you go

afro man wrote: »
    Atlantic Dawn

was up North few weeks back .. 20 pack bottles Coors light 11 Gbp Tesco / 12 Gbp Asda … 22- 25 Euro down south so nice saving ..spirits and wines reasonable as well but like all said shop around before you go

Yes there's a UK bank holiday 31st August, that's usually a good time too for those deals they tend to have on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If you shop at M&S, everything.. they still go with an exchange rate from 2006 or something (actually same for a few big shops like Argos etc).

Wine - Tesco NI has a bigger selection than ROI and usually much cheaper - beer is much of a muchness, cheaper but smaller/weaker cans

Ibuprofen etc is a good shout - and you will be able to buy much more OTC in supermarkets

Savers and Superdrug for toiletries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We usually hit the Banbridge outlet - The Boulevard. M&S, Next and a few other shops. Get some great work clothes.
    Bedeck sometimes has some end of line stuff on sale too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We usually hit the Banbridge outlet - The Boulevard. M&S, Next and a few other shops. Get some great work clothes.
    Bedeck sometimes has some end of line stuff on sale too

But, as far as I remember, nowhere that sells beer... actually, the restaurants probably do, as many years ago I was IDed for a Becks NA by the branch of Deanes there!

For beer specifically, UK duty is damn close to Irish; and for stronger beers - >7.5% they actually have higher duty than here by quite a major amount; so if you like your Tripels etc don't expect to get any deal. Its spirits, wine and particularly full sparkling wines where the savings are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

L1011 wrote: »
    But, as far as I remember, nowhere that sells beer... actually, the restaurants probably do, as many years ago I was IDed for a Becks NA by the branch of Deanes there!

For beer specifically, UK duty is damn close to Irish; and for stronger beers - >7.5% they actually have higher duty than here by quite a major amount; so if you like your Tripels etc don't expect to get any deal. Its spirits, wine and particularly full sparkling wines where the savings are.

There is a massive Tesco there now. NA beer always needs age approval due to weird laws in both UK and Ireland (try scanning one at a self service till and get hit with "Approval needed".. maybe I am annoyed as they just hit that Verified visual/not needed button without even being polite enough to ask me!). Technically because the are not completely without alcohol.

Anyway - problem with Banbridge - there is only the Tesco - so if there is no deal on whatever you want, you will either need to get off the Dual Carriage way again at Newry, or go without.. If you go in Belfast, more choice and probably more competition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

L1011 wrote: »

You can still get a Duvel (8.5)% for £2 which works out a good bit cheaper than here

18 cans of bulmers 440ml cans for 10 or 11 pounds is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was up around the border last week, saw no difference at all really for beer. Lot of cans 440ml and some beer waterier. Wine maybe 1-2 euro a bottle cheaper. Spirits a bit cheaper too but not as good as when supermarkets down here do their specials.
    I certainly wouldn't be driving up specially for booze anymore, used to years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was up in Sainsbury’s in Newry last weekend for some wine, and spirits, would usually head up 3-4 times a year.

Deals are usually hit and miss. (1L Powers Gold Label £26.50, 1L Absolute Vodka £20, 700ml Kahlua £14.50, 18 bottles of Corona £16, Erdinger bottle £1.80)

If it’s good value spirts you want, there’s a great off-licence in Jonesborough (Just off the border from the M1), I think the 1L Powers Gold label was about £25 there.

Advertisement