Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2G capable sim for GPS tracker

Options
  • 20-07-2020 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a 2G capable sim for a GPS tracker. The guy in the vodafone shop told me that their sims only do from 3G up. I know is true for 3 sims but I thought vodafone sims would be capable of handling 2G. Does anybody know if the guy in vodafone ship was correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A 3G SIM will be backward compatible. IIRC, 2G means the original digital mobile phone signal, incorporating basic voice and SMS services. All of those services are incorporated into 3G.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Search for an IOT SIM. You'll find a few providers you've never heard of.

Things Mobile offer a 2G sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

coylemj wrote: »
    A 3G SIM will be backward compatible. IIRC, 2G means the original digital mobile phone signal, incorporating basic voice and SMS services. All of those services are incorporated into 3G.

That was my understanding. I found something on the vodafone website that suggests they still support 2g data. I knew the bloke in the vodafone shop was talking out of his backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I used a Vodafone sim in a gps tracker that only had 2g

Best SIM is the v sim just 3 euro a month

https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/ie/v-sim

Advertisement