Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building your own firearm.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup, having a Communist boot in your face for 50 plus years does tend to make you rather bolshie about gun ownership. Something we forgot after having our neighbours boot on our neck for 500 years.,and the rest of Europe never really experiencing for great lengths of time.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Build your own firearm?
    Look if you have a licence for the receiver, then why not. Or maybe not.

I have seen a firearms dealer "put together", firearms with no experience of how to do it properly and sell those firearms at huge mark up to customers who spent years complaining about how this doesn't work and that doesn't work.
    When I asked them where said firearm was purchased at the time I almost cried. Im speaking in the 50+ times here at this stage and the quality isn't getting much better. But hey what do I know.

Registered firearms dealer and gun plumber are two different things entirely, unless your going to be registered as an RFD and call yourself a gunsmith as well, id stick to putting your own guns together.

But ive seen one of your guns and its actually very well put together and not too bad on the pricing side either. If your the guy im thinking about. I personally wouldn't have an issue but I know what to look for in most guns, (Not all).

If I were getting work done depending on the type of gun, there are only a few places I would go and most of them are struggling.

Speaking of Fenian shotguns in Birr. From the RTE archives...
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/business/2018/1112/1010365-fenian-gun-company/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/business/2018/1112/1010365-fenian-gun-company/

Thats an excellent find grizz.

PPE, Safety glasses, ear muff's ? BAH - they are for oul wans.

Machine guards ? Sure who needs 10 fingers anyways ?

A proof house to operate on the output of one small company ? Never really viable was it ?

I always associated the name Kavanagh with the Fenian guns, but never knew it was one of the Kavanagh family who were a very well known and well respected gunmakers for a very long time in Dawson street in Dublin.

Anyone know where this club was, or any of the people in it ? Looks like a railway arch.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0829/900839-dublin-pistol-club/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I say it was under the arches at trinity.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I say it was under the arches at trinity.

They are still, or were until recently shooting in a corridor, in the college.

Anyone notice the even for back then, dispraging and snotty tone of the commentator? RTE was even anti gun back then.:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Judging from the recoil they were all shooting 22lr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

tudderone wrote: »
    They are still, or were until recently shooting in a corridor, in the college.

That's a bit harsh! :p

We had a 10m air range in the old chemistry building after the 'Temporary range' which we occupied for ~20years was demolished to make way for the new business school. Chemisty building range is decommissioned now as well on account of that building being demolished to make way for the Learning Foundry building.

New 25m range is coming (22LR rated) and promises to be quite a thing. For now all activity is shifted to Wilkinstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

I know an RFD with two he may be willing to part with if anyones interested. Those shotguns that is.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Judging from the recoil they were all shooting 22lr

Couple of .38? Revolvers there too.A very nice high standard. 22target pistol there (the space gun)Big bucks for the 1960s
    Long before the the draconian sport killingTCO of 1972.Wonder what happened to those guns?:(

Advertisement