Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling: left turn on cycle path

Options
  • 19-07-2020 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, haven't been able to nail down a firm answer on this.

I always adhere to traffic lights when I cycle, I'm wondering if I'm in a cycling lane (raised or otherwise) and am turning left, staying on a continuous cycling track, do I need to wait at a traffic light? Or can I continue along the cycling path?

Appreciate the replies, thanks!

Comments

Azamean wrote: »
    Hi everyone, haven't been able to nail down a firm answer on this.

I always adhere to traffic lights when I cycle, I'm wondering if I'm in a cycling lane (raised or otherwise) and am turning left, staying on a continuous cycling track, do I need to wait at a traffic light? Or can I continue along the cycling path?

Appreciate the replies, thanks!

My understanding is if you are mixing with general traffic, you adhere to the controls for that traffic e.g. Painted cycle lane

If you are fully separated from general traffic, then you adhere to the controls for your portion of the carriageway e.g. bike path, greenway etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Give way to pedestrian is a must.

Similar to bike lanes on the path where there is a bus stop, the cyclist must allow pedestrian to alight or embark the vehicle.

If the cycle lane is on the road which has light control you must obey the lights.
    If it's a raised portion and on the path you may continue unless stated otherwise but if you are crossing a road way you must obey the light sequence as these tend to have pedestrian and cycle lights.

Alway be aware traffic turning left has the right to do so and you must not try to pass if you are coming from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Azamean

Give way to pedestrian is a must.

Similar to bike lanes on the path where there is a bus stop, the cyclist must allow pedestrian to alight or embark the vehicle.

If the cycle lane is on the road which has light control you must obey the lights.
    If it's a raised portion and on the path you may continue unless stated otherwise but if you are crossing a road way you must obey the light sequence as these tend to have pedestrian and cycle lights.

Alway be aware traffic turning left has the right to do so and you must not try to pass if you are coming from behind.

Great thanks for clearing that up. I was asking because I always stop at the lights, but other cyclists will overtake me and go through them, so I was wondering which one of us was in the wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Azamean wrote: »
    Great thanks for clearing that up. I was asking because I always stop at the lights, but other cyclists will overtake me and go through them, so I was wondering which one of us was in the wrong!

If there is a stop line you must stop, if not one there it may well be yield to others and in general just look out for yourself, most don't see you....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have any examples of where there might be ambiguity?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also given that cycle lanes do not have a legal standing, for most of the painted ones around, you are on a road in traffic. If you approach another road which requires cars to stop or yield then if on the cycle path you must also stop or yield.

Advertisement