Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern day movies are garbage

• 18-07-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Just to let you guys know the types of films I like are mainly thriller/dramas, I only like films with a good story behind it I'm not a fan of dumb action or comedy movies apart from a very select few.

I think the reason movies today are so bad is because they focus so much on special effects, big budgets etc that they don't bother giving too much to attention to stories and characters.

The 90s were by far the best decade for movies there was so many classic extraordinarily well made movies which focused on telling a story rather than brain dead passive entertainment which is what's put out there today, even films I didn't like from that decade when they were finished I still admired how they were good well made films but the crap put out today is just a disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

You've obviously never seen Don't Kill It

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Although I'll admit there have been a lot of great well written TV shows made in the last decade which maybe where those types of films have transitioned to.

You've obviously never seen Don't Kill It

No but I've just searched it up, I think this could be the movie that will change my opinion on modern day movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The one where Jackie Chan took on the IRA and won is good. The Foreigner.

I've seen it, don't know if you're taking the p*** or not so I'm not sure how to answer haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's still good films being made, maybe a lot of writers have moved over to TV where there's
    more freedom to write about different subjects
    for some of the streaming services.
    There's always being action blockbusters which
    follow a formula and feature a few big stars like Tom Cruise etc
    I think the 80s and 90s were good decades for movies. It's probably easy now to get money to make another superhero or sci fi action film
    with lots of special effects which will make millions all over the world.
    And if an action film is a big hit it will be turned into a franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watch better films. Big budget, SFX-heavy blockbusters are a small percentage of the films made today, and an even tinier percentage of the good ones.

Watch better films. Big budget, SFX-heavy blockbusters are a small percentage of the films made today, and an even tinier percentage of the good ones.

Any suggestions? There's still some decent films being made but nowhere near in the volume or quality of films being made years ago.

Acting has gotten way worse too..

They've all become way too self aware..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was so bad that when they showed it in long kesh to Loyalist prisoners, they trashed the TV room, while shouting about Tan Basta453.

True story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

CQD wrote: »
    Acting has gotten way worse too..

They've all become way too self aware..
    Yeah like as soon as they know the influence they have and lose the self-doubt, they just have charisma oozing from them and can't help capturing your attention even if they're not the focus of the scene. Reminds me of Langdon Cobb from Futurama.

Danzy wrote: »
    It was so bad that when they showed it in long kesh to Loyalist prisoners, they trashed the TV room, while shouting about Tan Basta453.

True story.

Tbh I'm surprised it's not considered a "modern day classic" by today's standards.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah like as soon as they know the influence they have and lose the self-doubt, they just have charisma oozing from them and can't help capturing your attention even if they're not the focus of the scene. Reminds me of Langdon Cobb from Futurama.

Brad Pitt for example being in some of my favourite films of all time fight club and seven, also where he played a traveller in the film snatch was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is plenty of good film out there , but the blockbuster movies are pretty much muck now.
    Disney ruining classics for fun.

I recently watched Pain and Glory , along with The Skin I Live In . Some of the best films I have seen in a long time .

Once Upon a time in Hollywood was excellent this year also.

Don't rely on Netflix for your movies go out there and look for them

It's a cliche, when I was a teen, young, films, TV was better, music was better.
    There's always been middle of the road bad films made. Listen to the mark kermode podcast on BBC radio 5. He reviews all films that are released. He praises alot of films that have no big stars in them, based on the quality of the acting and the script.
    He's being reviewing films since the 80s and he
    is very funny and entertaining to listen to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This just reads like another one of these "in my day" nostalgic wails. Like the old prog rocker hating anything past the 70s. Not making it a job to name movies to appose the thread title, but cinema has never been so diverse in both content and the means through which to enjoy it. Cinemas might be dominated by blockbusters but the number of spirited, talented artists out there is dizzying.

Old man yells at cloud :)

There are still plenty of good films being made,
    of course they do not get the advertising or promotion Hollywood blockbusters get,
    and even if you don't go to the cinema they can be viewed on BBC, filmfour or sky movie channels at some point.

pixelburp wrote: »
    This just reads like another one of these "in my day" nostalgic wails. Like the old prog rocker hating anything past the 70s. Not making it a job to name movies to appose the thread title, but cinema has never been so diverse in both content and the means through which to enjoy it. Cinemas might be dominated by blockbusters but the number of spirited, talented artists out there is dizzying.

Old man yells at cloud :)

Not true at all, movies today are just poorly made and people will go see your movie no matter what if you have the right advertising.

Take a look at the top 30 rated movies of all time on IMDb there's not one film in the top 30 from the last ten years, 9 out of the top 20 of them are from the 90s.

Maybe if you're a big action/comedy fan then this might be a golden era of movies for you but if you're not passively entertained by dumb action scenes or pathetic attempts at being funny then movies today suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There are far too many killings portrayed in modern day film and TV drama. Shootings, bombings, suicides - usually depicted in the most graphic and grisly fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Plenty of great movies still being made. Problem now is overall volume. There is so much stuff being made it’s hard to sift through all the ****e first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Adam9213 wrote: »
    Any suggestions? There's still some decent films being made but nowhere near in the volume or quality of films being made years ago.

From the last 12 months or so alone:

Parasite
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    First Cow
    The Farewell
    Monos
    The Wild Goose Lake
    Knives Out
    Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    Uncut Gems
    Little Women
    Saint Maud
    Bad Education
    Color Out Of Space
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    Midsommar
    The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Ema
    Marriage Story
    Vitalina Varela
    Pain & Glory
    The Lighthouse
    A Hidden Life
    Atlantics
    Beanpole
    Bacurau
    Varda by Agnes
    Driveways
    The Souvenir
    Apollo 11
    The Nightingale
    Martin Eden
    About Endlessness

I could really go on. I mean I wouldn’t expect everyone to like everything on that list, but I’d struggle to imagine anyone not finding a half dozen at least that they’d appreciate.

893bet wrote: »
    Plenty of great movies still being made. Problem now is overall volume. There is so much stuff being made it’s hard to sift through all the ****e first.

But if there were any movies near the quality of the 90s that were being pumped out non stop back then we would hear about them, it's not that people don't wanna see those movies it's just that it's a lot harder to make a movie with a good story and if they pay too much attention to the story and characters when making the movie then it's a lot easier for the movie to be a massive flop so it's better to just stay simple.

Even action movies like the matrix or terminator 2 off the top of my head had great stories and characters in them probably because they didn't have the technology required to keep people passively entertained with action alone and special effects so they actually paid a lot of attention to their stories and characters in order to make the films great.

From the last 12 months or so alone:

Parasite
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    First Cow
    The Farewell
    Monos
    The Wild Goose Lake
    Knives Out
    Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    Uncut Gems
    Little Women
    Saint Maud
    Bad Education
    Color Out Of Space
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    Midsommar
    The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Ema
    Marriage Story
    Vitalina Varela
    Pain & Glory
    The Lighthouse
    A Hidden Life
    Atlantics
    Beanpole
    Bacurau
    Varda by Agnes
    Driveways
    The Souvenir
    Apollo 11
    The Nightingale
    Martin Eden
    About Endlessness

I could really go on. I mean I wouldn’t expect everyone to like everything on that list, but I’d struggle to imagine anyone not finding a half dozen at least that they’d appreciate.

Looked up quite a few of those films just there and most of them seem pathetic tbh, maybe the Chinese ones you have listed are decent but for whatever reason I just can't watch a bunch of Chinese people in a movie, I just can't take them serious.

I've seen uncut gems which I really liked, I've also seen midsommar which I hated, it was nothing like the directors previous movie hereditary which was really good.

Apart from maybe uncut gems I seriously doubt there are any quality films hidden away in that list and also apart from a very rare few movies in the last 10 years you don't see many masterpieces being made.

Also you should watch the other movie "good time" made by the same director of "uncut gems" although the main character was involving his autistic brother in crime and trying to keep him away from support groups and counsellors for his illness you can see what he really wanted was for his brother not to think of himself as a mindless drone and conform to societies view of what someone with autism is, he didn't want his brother to be tied to his illness, it was a very sad scene at the end when his brother is locked up and his autistic brother is left alone in that place with the other autistic people and he slowly starts to conform and starts singing retarded songs along with the rest of them even though that's not really who he is but it's how society expects him to be so he starts to believe it.

Sorry I know that was long I just felt like having a rant about that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is a lack of thrillers these days. I miss Jeremy Irons type movies.

or whatever reason I just can't watch a bunch of Chinese people in a movie, I just can't take them serious.

And there it is. I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Looked up quite a few of those films just there and most of them seem pathetic tbh, maybe the Chinese ones you have listed are decent but for whatever reason I just can't watch a bunch of Chinese people in a movie, I just can't take them serious.

I've seen uncut gems which I really liked, I've also seen midsommar which I hated, it was nothing like the directors previous movie hereditary which was really good.

Apart from maybe uncut gems I seriously doubt there are any quality films hidden away in that list.

And also apart from a very rare few movies in the last 10 years you don't see many masterpieces being made.

There's multiple, genuinely great films on that list, including masterpieces and outstanding performances from the actors involved.

You're first paragraph above is also the worst thing I've read in quite some time.

And there it is. I’m out.

Ahh I'm a racist now am I?

Sorry I just can't watch Chinese movies and I don't think most people can either.

There's multiple, genuinely great films on that list, including masterpieces and outstanding performances from the actors involved.

You're first paragraph above is also the worst thing I've read in quite some time.

Which ones? I didn't look them all up as the list was quite long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Which ones? I didn't look them all up as the list was quite long.

Give us some examples of the movies from the 90's that were so exceptional?

I mean it sounds like you're being incredibly naaive to think it's worse now. In fact in the last 10 years I'd imagine there are more movies being made than ever. It might be harder for things to be noticed but they are there.

Off the top of my head there's been loads of great thrillers on the list 10 years.

Green room
    Prisoners
    Drive
    The visitor
    You were never really here

And they're all fairly mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

Why are films (generally) so long these days, has the director been given too much artistic control?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement