Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been in love in the romantic sense?

Options
  • 17-07-2020 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

This thread has probably been done but the search function wasn't working for me so what the hell.

Have you ever been in love?

I'm not talking about loving your daughter or son or family or Jesus or anything like that.

I'm talking about the Dirty Dancing, Grease, standing on the bows of the Titanic with Kate Winslet type of love.

I haven't. It's a complete mystery to me. I bet hundreds of millions of people haven't been in love and yet some people act like it's as common as muck and all-pervading and the powerful glue that holds humanity together.

It's weird knowing you're going to your grave knowing you've never been in love and never been loved. I feel like I'm missing out.

People just aren't that interesting, what's to love? I don't get it. Have you any stories to tell?

The poll isn't public btw.

Have you ever been in love in the romantic sense? 183 votes

Yes
    69% 127 votes
    No
    30% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    It's weird knowing you're going to your grave knowing you've never been in love and never been loved. I feel like I'm missing out.

People just aren't that interesting, what's to love? I don't get it. Have you any stories to tell?

Yeah, loads of people have been in love the way you describe it.
    I'm sorry it hasn't happened to you yet. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A couple of times, yeah. I'm not gonna spill here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

Jeez you’re really fond of your love threads tonight ;)
    Why are you so curious about love? Don’t worry once you’re open to it, it should happen some day. What age are you? I’ve been in love too many times but to me being in love is the initial stage of loving someone before it develops into something much deeper but much less exciting. To me being in love is more chemistry and hormones. It’s not like I’d die for the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Yep. Its like... I dunno. It's hard to describe but definitely unmistakable.

At peaks it was like having some kind of emotional orgasm and from day to day it was this kind of happy hazy silliness.

Unfortunately it didn't last forever as the person I was in love with dumped me after a few years. Getting over that was like losing an arm.

I've had moments like it in one or two other relationships but not in the same prolonged way.

I think long term relationships built on care and work are also rewarding in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

Yep. Its like... I dunno. It's hard to describe but definitely unmistakable.

At peaks it was like having some kind of emotional orgasm and from day to day it was this kind of happy hazy silliness.

Unfortunately it didn't last forever as the person I was in love with dumped me after a few years. Getting over that was like losing an arm.

I've had moments like it in one or two other relationships but not in the same prolonged way.

I think long term relationships built on care and work are also rewarding in a different way.

To me it was like being on drugs and addicted to the person (my first love)
    He’s all I could think about and the butterflies when we kissed were magical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

yes, twice. but when I look back on it now I had 2 very lucky escapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

pgj2015 wrote: »
    yes, twice. but when I look back on it now I had 2 very lucky escapes.

Was it Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez?

What age are you?

Not gonna reveal my age, but I'm certain it's not gonna happen for me; almost past it really. I think I might have schizoid personality disorder (not as scary as it sounds).

Was it Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez?

lol id nearly have been better off with them and im not even gay. its mad how you can be in love with someone who you later realize is an awful human being but its great while it lasts, especially your first love.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I have been in love. And had my heart broken a couple of times.

I am very much in love with my partner.

As the saying goes: “It is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

Thought I was in love a couple of times. Had fun and loved their company but never thought about a future with them. Not seriously anyway.

Then I met my husband. I knew the second I saw him I'd marry him. We're together 18 years now. Still best friends, have a great relationship, have our ups and downs but both dedicated to making it work. It's funny because when my older sister told me she knew she'd marry her husband the first day they met I thought she was crazy..Then it happened to me..

Anyway I'm a firm believer in there being someone out there for everyone and also you'll find them when you stop looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Twice.

First time didn't end well, she didn't feel the same way (which was fine) but she toyed with me for years, almost broke me and put me off relationships entirely.

Second time I was much more cautious but it ended up being the best thing that ever happened. Married 7 years with two beautiful kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Not gonna reveal my age, but I'm certain it's not gonna happen for me; almost past it really. I think I might have schizoid personality disorder (not as scary as it sounds).

It could happen at 50 or even 70. Seek and you shall find.

Here's a kiss to start you on your journey, X.

Thought I was in love a couple of times. Had fun and loved their company but never thought about a future with them. Not seriously anyway.

Then I met my husband. I knew the second I saw him I'd marry him. We're together 18 years now. Still best friends, have a great relationship, have our ups and downs but both dedicated to making it work. It's funny because when my older sister told me she knew she'd marry her husband the first day they met I thought she was crazy..Then it happened to me..

Anyway I'm a firm believer in there being someone out there for everyone and also you'll find them when you stop looking.

Thats mad, iv never come close to that. how did you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

This thread has probably been done but the search function wasn't working for me so what the hell.

I'm not talking about loving your daughter or son or family or Jesus or anything like that.

I'm talking about the Dirty Dancing, Grease, standing on the bows of the Titanic with Kate Winslet type of love.

I haven't. It's a complete mystery to me. I bet hundreds of millions of people haven't been in love and yet some people act like it's as common as muck and all-pervading and the powerful glue that holds humanity together.

The poll isn't public btw.

If people aren't that interesting why do you want to know about them? And why would you be interested in their stories?

Kylta wrote: »
    If people aren't that interesting why do you want to know about them? And why would you be interested in their stories?

I guess I have little interest in anything and need to pass the time really.:(

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Thats mad, iv never come close to that. how did you know?

I really wish I could explain it but I can't. I just knew. A few days later I made it my business to talk to him and it felt like we knew each other forever.

Man this is quickly turning into a depressing poll for me and a few others.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

Yes truly madly deeply in love. I give myself completely when I fall in love. But as the song goes love hurts and I have felt all of that too. But its better to have loved and lost to never have loved at all.

Alain Badiou on the necessity of love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How do you know you've never been loved, OP? For all you know you could have blown someone's mind. You could even be doing so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I guess I have little interest in anything and need to pass the time really.:(

Is their nothing you could pass the time with that interests you? A person who has no interest in anything are they sad? Lonely?
    How would you describe yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have.
    I can’t really explain it, there’s truly no other feeling like it.
    I think I was love drunk for a solid year after we first met, I was just so deliriously happy. That dopamine release is no joke!
    I thought he was the greatest most amazing person on earth, and he thought the same of me.
    It’s a connection, bond and deep feeling that are really hard to put into words.
    It was like having a best friend and lover all in one, who only wants the very best for you.

We spent many happy years together and I hope I get to experience that feeling again with someone else in the future.

Man this is quickly turning into a depressing poll for me and a few others.:D

Try not to look at it that way. I know it's a cliché and probably really annoying but love will find you when you least expect it. Sorry you're probably sick of hearing that but it's true. I can only speak from experience but I found my soul mate when I was genuinely happily single.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yes.

She was also my best friend. When you are in love OP it's very easy, you feel like you have known each other for ever as corny as that sounds.

I'm sure you will feel it some day too. Make sure you cherish it.

Kylta wrote: »
    Is their nothing you could pass the time with that interests you? A person who has no interest in anything are they sad? Lonely?
    How would you describe yourself?

Like Meursault in Albert Camus' The Outsider. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yes, it’s different, I had boyfriends before and always thought I’d been in love but it’s ... well different.

I was going out with another guy when I met my now husband, we managed to sneak away that night and stayed up the whole night chatting, it’s not as romantic as it sounds, we were hanging around the town after a night club, but I didn’t get home until 6 or 7 the next morning, hoarse from just talking to him. But I knew this guy I was with was amazing, it was different... we just talked, nothing else and he walked me home.
    I met him again a friends house party, there was some boxing match on in the middle of the night and the lads including him stayed up to watch it.. he was sitting at the far side of the room away from me and I, half asleep, asked some dumb question on boxing, no one answered me, no one heard me and then he did.. he heard me despite being, about fifteen people and half a room away.. I knew he was for me, it’s sounds stupid, but I knew. If people ask me when I knew I loved him it was that moment... That night going home he told me I had the most amazing green eyes... my eyes are as blue as day, I didn’t say anything, we were drunk and had only met up twice, but the next day he called me on the landline which musta have been hard enough with the parents 100% going to answer and the first thing he said was.. ‘your eyes are blue btw, I know your eyes are blue, there beautiful’. I don’t know why I’m recounting these stories but they always stick out in my mind of when I think of falling in love with him ...
    There was no big explosion, no grand gestures, it just is. It just happened.

We are together nearly 20 years now and he’s still my best friend. He still tells me I have the most beautiful green eyes he’s ever seen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Yes and it's the best feeling in the world even though it probably knocks a fair chunk off your IQ and is sort of like being in a permanent, tipsy, high on life feeling.

But it hurts like hell when it goes wrong but yet when you recover from that, you still want to experience it again cos it's so good.

I'd love to feel it again but imo there's very few people that you can ever potentially feel that way about but still you have to be optimistic about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Once and it led to a serious and longterm relationship. It turned sour and ended and I would never, ever expose myself to that level of heartbreak and extreme stress again. It's just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes.

You are a bit mad in the head at the time, but in the best way possible.

Almost anything feels possible and the things that aren't don't really matter.

Advertisement