Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb smart meter

• 26-06-2020 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had one of these new meters fitted in their meter box. We had one fitted about 3 months ago (just before lockdown) and have noticed a significant spike in our power usage. Not sure if it's a case of the new meter is recording wrong or the old one was out. All I know is our usage for May was almost 1200 units when our normal usage is roughly 1400 for 2 months. Now I do realise lockdown has meant the kids have been home more so maybe power usage is up but it seems excessive. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

Funny you mention that, we thought the same. We are building at the moment and got our first bill a couple of weeks ago at e280 - this was 1433 units. (The usage in our current house, wouldnt be anywhere near this) I thought this was v high considering we arent in the house yet and no appliances running, just whatever the builders are using. We have air to water so wasnt really sure how much it might be. This has now been switched off the last month while we are getting the tiling done, so im interested to see what the usage is and what next bill is, as the usage would be minimal - radio, saws etc. I'll be keeping an eye over it and hoping it balances over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Funny you mention that, we thought the same. We are building at the moment and got our first bill a couple of weeks ago at e280 - this was 1433 units. (The usage in our current house, wouldnt be anywhere near this) I thought this was v high considering we arent in the house yet and no appliances running, just whatever the builders are using. We have air to water so wasnt really sure how much it might be. This has now been switched off the last month while we are getting the tiling done, so im interested to see what the usage is and what next bill is, as the usage would be minimal - radio, saws etc. I'll be keeping an eye over it and hoping it balances over the next few months.

Yeah we've decided just to watch it close for the next couple of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If your old meter was mechanical it may well have been running slow but its highly unlikely to have been that slow. You havn't been heating a paddling pool or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭John.G

If you run a fairly high consumption user like a immersion of known wattage then you could monitor the usage, the old mechanical meters were quite smart in their own way, they measured the usage in tenths of a kwh and also had a rotating disc to help calculate the power consumption, mine is 225 revs/kwh, do the new meters measure the kwh in decimals?.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

John.G wrote: »
    ...do the new meters measure the kwh in decimals?.

Mine doesn't. Installed in March last, make & model is 'Kamstrup DK-8660' and it shows whole kWh units only, no decimals. Usage so far is in line with previous consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

With these new smart meters, can you avail of night saver options with suppliers? Or will this be a separate unit?

chewed wrote: »
    With these new smart meters, can you avail of night saver options with suppliers? Or will this be a separate unit?

Yes, the suppliers will be rolling out price schemes which encourage you to avoid period of peak demand, you won't need a separate unit. It's supposed to happen by 2021, might be delayed a bit but my smart meter was installed during the lockdown so it could happen next year.

The regulator has decided that there will be three tariff rates: Day (08:00-23:00), Night (23:00-08:00) and Peak (17:00-19:00).

Essentially, the new tariffs will encourge people to set the immersion timer to heat the water before 8 a.m., not use the dishwasher or washing machine between 5 and 7 p.m. and avoid giving the immersion a boost between 5 and 7 p.m.

This is from the ESB FAQ on smart meters....

Currently your electricity meter is manually read by ESB Networks up to four times per year. Smart meters will be able to automatically send your meter readings to ESB Networks so the need for estimated bills will be significant reduced.

When smart meters are fully operational, you will have a choice to be provided with more accurate information about your energy usage to allow you to better manage your bills with greater accuracy than at present. This information will also enable you to be more energy efficient, helping to reduce your carbon footprint.

From 2021 onwards, electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services, giving you more choice and enabling you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of the day when electricity is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, the suppliers will be rolling out price schemes which encourage you to avoid period of peak demand, you won't need a separate unit. It's supposed to happen by 2021, might be delayed a bit but my smart meter was installed during the lockdown so it could happen next year.

The regulator has decided that there will be three tariff rates: Day (08:00-23:00), Night (23:00-08:00) and Peak (17:00-19:00).

Essentially, the new tariffs will encourge people to set the immersion timer to heat the water before 8 a.m., not use the dishwasher or washing machine between 5 and 7 p.m. and avoid giving the immersion a boost between 5 and 7 p.m.

This is from the ESB FAQ on smart meters....

Currently your electricity meter is manually read by ESB Networks up to four times per year. Smart meters will be able to automatically send your meter readings to ESB Networks so the need for estimated bills will be significant reduced.

When smart meters are fully operational, you will have a choice to be provided with more accurate information about your energy usage to allow you to better manage your bills with greater accuracy than at present. This information will also enable you to be more energy efficient, helping to reduce your carbon footprint.

From 2021 onwards, electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services, giving you more choice and enabling you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of the day when electricity is cheaper

Cheers for info. I just moved to SSE Airtricity today and was asking if my new smart meter could be used for the night saver option. The guy on the phone didn't seem to have any idea about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

chewed wrote: »
    Cheers for info. I just moved to SSE Airtricity today and was asking if my new smart meter could be used for the night saver option. The guy on the phone didn't seem to have any idea about it.

You can, but depending on usage the cheapest 24 hour tarriff at the moment can work out cheaper. Why did you go with SSE they are not near the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭beachhead

Anyone got more info on these smart meters:- country of manufacture,date of manufacture,model number etc One poster said model Kamstrup DK 8660 which is Danish.The KN/CNET appointment staff say they are made in Ireland.A KN engineer says Denmark.I do not want a UK cast off where they were/are a disaster for households.The meters will become fully active once a sufficient installation level has been reached in the Republic-probably late '21,1st half of '22

• Advertisement

beachhead wrote: »
    Anyone got more info on these smart meters:- country of manufacture,date of manufacture,model number etc One poster said model Kamstrup DK 8660 which is Danish.The KN/CNET appointment staff say they are made in Ireland.A KN engineer says Denmark.I do not want a UK cast off where they were/are a disaster for households.

When you're notified of the proposed installation, ring the number on the letter and discuss it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

When you're notified of the proposed installation, ring the number on the letter and discuss it with them.

How are people notified?
    I got a letter in the postbox today, addressed to someone who doesn't live here, with ESBN smart metering programme on the return address.

I have been in the house 2 years, and the meter is in my name.
    I have an electric car, and am on a day/night meter.

I sent esbn an email, but haven't opened the letter.

The appointment don't have a clue about the meters.They take your details and that's it.All call centre staff answering the phones.When I get round to it I will cal ESB Networks directly in Fitzwilliam St,Dublin 2.The ESB number on the top right hand side of the notification is call centre line.

kierank01 wrote: »
    How are people notified?
    I got a letter in the postbox today, addressed to someone who doesn't live here, with ESBN smart metering programme on the return address.

I have been in the house 2 years, and the meter is in my name.
    I have an electric car, and am on a day/night meter.

I sent esbn an email, but haven't opened the letter.

Changing to a smart meter is not compulsory.But as the minister said it's not compulsory until it's mandatory or whatever she said.KN/CNET will call in person to your address regardless of whether you open the letter/make an installation appointment.You can refuse to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevdoc

I got a new smart meter in October. My problem is my meter reading has gone up by 100 units last 2 months. Anyone same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭John.G

These meters arn't as smart as the old ones but you can do a quick check with the very limited "tool" on this meter.

You will see a blinking red LED, 1000 blinks = 1kwh or 1000wh so if you have a electric kettle (or any known fairly big demand of around 1kw) you will see the power in W (watts) underneath, normally 2500W.
    unplug/ensure off all the heavy users ie dishwasher,wasmachine, fridges etc and fill the kettle with cold water and switch on.
    Get your stopwatch and start it on any red blink, 10 blinks later stop your "watch" and note the time. the power is 10*3600/time in secs. ie if time recorded was 14.4 secs, then power = 10*3600/14.4, 2500 watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tony H

when ESB networks installed a smart meter they put this fuse
    see attached file , does this mean that the system is now rated for 80A ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Tony H wrote:
    when ESB networks installed a smart meter they put this fuse see attached file , does this mean that the system is now rated for 80A ?

Any chance of posting an image of the smart meter?

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Any chance of posting an image of the smart meter?

here's one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tony H wrote: »

That can have a 60A or 80A fuse. You won’t know which unless you ask ESB.

If you have a heat pump it’s probably an 80A.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    That can have a 60A or 80A fuse. You won’t know which unless you ask ESB.

If you have a heat pump it’s probably an 80A.

no heat pump but we have an electric shower , but he wouldn't know that ,( just got curious when I saw this on my electric ireland account

Description

Smart GPRS 1PH WC 5(100) AMPS

Smart meter comms level

Level 4

Bord Gais now offering 'smart plans' for electricity if you have a smart meter......

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/residential-smart-meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

Tony H wrote: »

Simply changing the esbn fuse doesn't upgrade your supply

Supply capacity is determined by the original application, Esbn service and fuse and the consumer tails and consumers main protective device

The old system with 10sq tails and 50 amp consumers main fuse , I would call 10kva

The standard is 12kva and the newer 16kva

It might be possible to upgrade supply without upgrading tails and consumers main protective device when car charging comes in, but that hasn't been the norm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mine has been installed almost a year now and I've seen an increase in costs. The strangest thing being these meters are still not being used for billing purposes, basically I still have a guy calling to read meter and when missed I have to submit a reading. I understood it would be a while before meters read remotely but a year later and still not happening is odd plus an increase of about €30 per bi monthly bill with no increase of usage on my end

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Mine has been installed almost a year now and I've seen an increase in costs. The strangest thing being these meters are still not being used for billing purposes, basically I still have a guy calling to read meter and when missed I have to submit a reading. I understood it would be a while before meters read remotely but a year later and still not happening is odd plus an increase of about €30 per bi monthly bill with no increase of usage on my end

The PSO levy went for everyone so thats 10 euro on your bi monthly bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A friend of mine is trying to switch her provider.

Where she lives there are 2 of the new smart meters, one for her and one for neighbours.

How can it be identified as neither have an MPRN number on them.
    They both have an RM number on them which does not correspond to MPRN.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭CoBo55

murpho999 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is trying to switch her provider.

Where she lives there are 2 of the new smart meters, one for her and one for neighbours.

How can it be identified as neither have an MPRN number on them.
    They both have an RM number on them which does not correspond to MPRN.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

There should be a separate meter number on the bill. They could always try turning on the immersion or electric shower and see which meter starts flashing more quickly.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There should be a separate meter number on the bill. They could always try turning on the immersion or electric shower and see which meter starts flashing more quickly.

Ha ha, good idea.

She got it sorted. Bill only has the MPRN on it but new meters have RM number on them that only the provider can tell which MPRN it is.

Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭CoBo55

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ha ha, good idea.

She got it sorted. Bill only has the MPRN on it but new meters have RM number on them that only the provider can tell which MPRN it is.

Very strange.

I'm with energia, I'm almost certain there's a meter number on the bill above the mprn, I'll check later.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm with energia, I'm almost certain there's a meter number on the bill above the mprn, I'll check later.

OK, it's no problem,

I just checked my own bill with Bord Gais and it does have a meter number and MPRN.

However, the problem was that my friend is currently with Pinergy on Pre Pay and doesn't receive any bills but needed the meter reading to switch to Energia,

All is resolved now, thanks for your help.

Advertisement