Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BA to scrap entire 747 fleet

• 16-07-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Just heard from a friend of mine who is a BA cabin service manager that they have announced the scrapping of the entire 747 fleet with immediate effect!

The only link I can find at the moment is from the Daily Mail so I won't even bother to link that, but I'm sure it'll be elsewhere soon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Comes as no great surprise other than that BA will be have to be significantly smaller in terms of employment requirements as a result and will be much smaller going forward, 28 of them in the fleet - I had already heard BA were targing 40 aircraft early retirements.

They were already letting Pilots and Cabin Crew recencies expire. BA is severely exposed to Long-Haul travel particularly in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Skuxx wrote: »
    Just heard from a friend of mine who is a BA cabin service manager that they have announced the scrapping of the entire 747 fleet with immediate effect!

The only link I can find at the moment is from the Daily Mail so I won't even bother to link that, but I'm sure it'll be elsewhere soon!!

Saw a copy of the memo sent to staff confirming the retirement on another site a short time ago......sad day. Had the pleasure of flying on the BA 747s a few times in the past few years. Nothing beats the Queen of the skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Must include the couple they had in for the retro paint jobs in Dublin last year. Who knew they'd be so short lived.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Must include the couple they had in for the retro paint jobs in Dublin last year. Who knew they'd be so short lived.

They were due for retirement around 2023/24.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the BOAC one is already out of Heathrow - Cardiff maybe, but was supposed to be storage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

A real shame, we all knew their days were numbered with the retirement coming in 2024 but at least that gave people a chance for one last flight. I’ve no doubt BA would have put on a special farewell tour for the aircraft as well in normal times.

All those plans have been thrown out of the window now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

End of an era. I can’t help but wonder if their A380s will also be retired now.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

One of the reports I read was that it cost £13000 for a 747 to land at Heathrow in various charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I'm devastated! I was due to go to Vancouver with work next January and was hoping that would be my first trip! They used the 747 to Seoul with Korean for a bit back in late 2017 and my flight from Russia to Seoul was cancelled and i got re reouted through Moscow. It appears its just like to MD11 - Never to be for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Got to the upper deck of a BA 747 for the first time late last year, was looking forward to doing it again. Lovely bus to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I'm devastated! I was due to go to Vancouver with work next January and was hoping that would be my first trip! They used the 747 to Seoul with Korean for a bit back in late 2017 and my flight from Russia to Seoul was cancelled and i got re reouted through Moscow. It appears its just like to MD11 - Never to be for me :(

Please don’t book any flights on an A380 so, the rest of us want one more chance....!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I thought that the economy class in the BA747’s totally sucked, they really appeared to cram in the seats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

smurfjed wrote: »
    I thought that the economy class in the BA747’s totally sucked, they really appeared to cram in the seats.

Totally agree. Did a trip to Aus a number of years ago. The two legs out and the first leg back were Qantas, that last leg was BA. I couldn't believe the difference in the comfort level between the two. I felt like a sardine of the BA flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The funny thing is that both of them operated the B744 with a 31 inch economy seat pitch, maybe there is a difference in seat design, but having flown on both, the BA seats really suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

BA 744 economy was the worst mainline product I've ever been in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I used my AA points and took myself and the missus to JFK via LHR business class a few years back, upper deck, was a real treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Very very sad news!
    2020 has been a total write off as a year!

Was hoping to fly on one of the retro 747s.

At one stage, BA operated the largest fleet of 747-400s in the world, 57 in total!

Aviation will be a lot duller now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

BA economy is definitely crap. The thrill of a 747 was either going in the nose or upper deck depending on your budget and desires. I guess Lufthansa will continue to fly its 748s for a while so you’ll be able to get the experience. In fact a first class trip beginning in Frankfurt is like a spa treatment end to end for AVGeeks with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Nijmegen wrote: »
    BA economy is definitely crap. The thrill of a 747 was either going in the nose or upper deck depending on your budget and desires. I guess Lufthansa will continue to fly its 748s for a while so you’ll be able to get the experience. In fact a first class trip beginning in Frankfurt is like a spa treatment end to end for AVGeeks with the money.

I’d say that “thrill” was also missing from the BA J product on the 747 in recent years. You were sat staring into a strangers face in a plastic seat with zero storage space and a tray table that bent into your lap when anything heavier than a newspaper was placed on it!

In fairness to them they took that criticism on board and have decided to replace the product early. The A350s debut the new J which I haven’t had the pleasure of but hear is very good. New delivery 777s I believe will also have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

trellheim wrote: »
    BA 744 economy was the worst mainline product I've ever been in

You obviously havn't been on the 787 or the 777 in 10 across. Hell is more nicer.

The twin seats down the back of the 747 were the best seats in economy that I have flown anyway.

You get about 90% of a seat space between you and the window. A more than likly chance no one would sit beside you and in luck last time no one in front of me to recline into my face.
    520376.jpg

I shall miss the old bird, I've done row 2 and and the last row among my many flights on one. Gutted I never got to try upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

afatbollix wrote: »
    You obviously havn't been on the 787 or the 777 in 10 across. Hell is more nicer.

The twin seats down the back of the 747 were the best seats in economy that I have flown anyway.

You get about 90% of a seat space between you and the window. A more than likly chance no one would sit beside you and in luck last time no one in front of me to recline into my face.

booked those two when i flew back from mexico with the OH great seats didnt have to annoy anyone else going to the loo. flight attendant kept bringing us free drink got hammered :D that was BA. did a 12 hour to singapore in 2000. loved flying on the 747.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

They are / were absolutely iconic for BA. I'm surprised they didn't keep at least a few available for farewell tours or passing-the-batten marketing activities once Covid starts to recede, especially given they're well paid off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

They are / were absolutely iconic for BA. I'm surprised they didn't keep at least a few available for farewell tours or passing-the-batten marketing activities once Covid starts to recede, especially given they're well paid off at this stage.

Did they not have a PR disaster last year when they had planned a few domestic 747 flights as part of their 100th anniversary but canned them quickly supposedly due to environmentalist kickback?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Flew on the upper deck with BA to Denver a few years back
    Backwards facing seat next to window, acres of room & storage, but cloud most of the way so saw v little and entertainment unit didn’t work most of the flight and no spare seats to move to. It was v dated , they def weren’t spending any money on upgrading the decor but nice to have done
    Flew on a South African airways flight to LHR-Cape Town about 20 years ago, 12 hrs overnight in economy, with a 20 month old between 2 of us on our laps, not my favourite flight of all time, but not the worst either, first long haul flight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

BZ wrote: »
    Saw a copy of the memo sent to staff confirming the retirement on another site a short time ago......sad day. Had the pleasure of flying on the BA 747s a few times in the past few years. Nothing beats the Queen of the skies.

I've flown on a few BA 747s, and they weren't great. Old an noisy, and one where the Aircon wouldn't work on the ground on an extremely humid evening in Hong Kong. Their 777 was far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've had a few trips on the MD-11, horrible yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Bye bye 62K. One of my favourite seats on one of my favourite aircraft...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

x567 wrote: »
    Bye bye 62K. One of my favourite seats on one of my favourite aircraft...

Never had the opportunity to fly on her, which is an awful shame. Was 62K on the upper deck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Never had the opportunity to fly on her, which is an awful shame. Was 62K on the upper deck?

Yes, 62K is Upper Deck looking Aft, just forward of the right Upper Deck door. Upper Deck has rows 60ABJK to 64ABJK.

To be honest all BA staff knew it was the end when all B747 pilots got an email from their cheif pilot saying the B747 simulators were now closed. No further training would be available. This was well over a month ago. Strange BA would make it public the end of the B747 the evening of the day all staff recieved an email giving two choices. 1. Take voluntary redundancy or 2. Reapply for your job.

Advertisement