Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling for Eclairs - no cream

Options
  • 15-07-2020 12:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm giving eclairs a go but I've no cream for a filling. I'm wondering what else I could use? I have custard, chocolate spread and crunchy peanut butter. I also have some ingredients to make a vanilla butter cream.

Do any of them sound in any way appealing?? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would think custard would be fine, if it floats your boat. It would probably need to be thick enough to hold its structure though. I think chocolate spread would be too rich because it's so dense - you'd need a lot to fill an eclair! Peanut butter would be the same, I'd reckon, and I don't think a crunchy texture would be ideal.

When you think about the cream filling, it's whipped so it's light and airy, but it's firm so it holds its shape. You'd need to use something close to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Thanks Faith. I went with the chocolate spread in the end. I didn't know how to thicken the custard and didn't want to go even more rogue at that stage.

Chocolate spread was way too moreish and dense as you said, but as I didn't have a piping bag, they ended up more dome shaped than I thought. So the fact that they're small and round I can just get away with it.

I'll try them again properly because they were grand otherwise! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Just for future reference - custard can also be thickened with some melted chocolate folded in or even, dare I say it, peanut butter. I add some salt and sifted icing sugar if you are of the Reeces cup persuasion.....or are feeding someone who adores peanut butter in all its forms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lemon curd would be great (though I find lemon curd folded in to whipped cream is lighter)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Lovely tips! I didn't know how to thicken custard at all.

I'm going to give them another go for sure. The pastry was OK. Though I followed the Odlums one, and I think they're cooking times we're a bit short!

• Advertisement
Advertisement