Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General England News Thread

• 25-09-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

If there's no demand for this then feel free to merge in to International Cricket Thread but the Ashes thread was very popular so I thought I'd give this a go to see if anyone's going to follow it.

England named their squad of a New Zealand tour coming up in November. 5 T20s and 2 tests. Pity there's no ODIs.

England squad for two Tests in New Zealand: Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dominic Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

England squad for five Twenty20s in New Zealand: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) captain, Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), Pat Brown (Worcestershire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Tom Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), James Vince (Hampshire).

Bairstow is dropped from the test squad. Stokes not in the T20s squad either. Resting him just? Matthew Parkinson, Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley and Saqib Mahmood are all called up. Very looking forward to seeing some of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

I shall defo be following it but i’ve always struggled with their tours due to time zones. The main reason I enjoyed so much cricket this summer is because it was all happening across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pretty sure South Africa are only an hour or two in the difference from us, New Zealand should see first ball bowled about 10 or 11pm our time by my calculations but I’m open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

For the New Zealand Tour the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th T20s start at 1am, the 4th is a night game and starts at 5 am. For both Tests play will start at 10 pm.

For the SA tour play for all 4 Tests will start at 8 am, and 2 D/N ODIs at 11 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

Might be able to listen to a bit of it in work, cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49957493

England appoint Chris Silverwood as Head Coach.

Rumours they were going after Graham Ford so delighted we get to keep him

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    If there's no demand for this then feel free to merge in to International Cricket Thread but the Ashes thread was very popular so I thought I'd give this a go to see if anyone's going to follow it.

England named their squad of a New Zealand tour coming up in November. 5 T20s and 2 tests. Pity there's no ODIs.

It’s a strange tour, why only two test matches ?

Why as many as 5 T20s and no ODI games ?

Minimum you’d want is 3 test matches...

Not too excited by the format of the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bob Willis has passed away, he was only 70 years old. Only vaguely remember watching him play, but saw him on replays of classic series and he was a terrific fast bowler.

I didn't always agree with his punditry, but he was always honest, if it was a rubbish game, he'd say so, there'd be no building it up for viewers (as modern day presenters sometimes do). I think he mellowed as he got older and slightly less prickly. (but still don't think he suffered fools gladly)

RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Morgan Root and Buttler honoured by the Queen. Richly deserved by Root, after blocking for over 10 hours against New Zealand last month

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Leach or Bess for Cape town, and for whom?

Leach or Bess for Cape town, and for whom?

Leach and Woakes still in quarantine, apparently.

Edit: Quite the opposite is true, in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Reports of Jofra Archer having an elbow injury. I think this is a cover for the fact that he was getting dropped anyway.

If England bring in Leach and drop Curran, their tailend is Archer, Leach, Broad, Anderson. They'll barely muster up 15 runs.

So the lower order will probably be Curran, Leach, Broad, Anderson. Unless Broad/Anderson get injured, I doubt Archer will play for the rest of the series. Although they seem to love dropping Curran/Woakes at the drop of a hat. Despite that they perform consistently.

Bairstow not playing well, Buttler not playing well, they're struggling for runs.

UPDATE: Leach is confirmed to be out

Burns confirmed doubtful now. Hurt his ankle playing football in training apparently..

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11899788/england-opener-rory-burns-doubt-for-second-test-after-football-injury

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Strumms wrote: »
    Burns confirmed doubtful now. Hurt his ankle playing football in training apparently..

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11899788/england-opener-rory-burns-doubt-for-second-test-after-football-injury

Out of the tour. Some shambles.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Out of the tour. Some shambles.

Didnt Bairstow do his ankle in playing football too a couple years back.

In other news, Michael Carberry the former journeyman opener has said he could have played 50-100 tests, if it were not for institutional racism in English Cricket. He played 6, and averaged under 30, was a handy fielder who didn't bowl. In what universe could this have happened? He also said that he can't ever remember any black County captains, and while I can't think of many, the obvious one for me was Mark Alleyne, highly successful Gloucestershire captain who lead them to lots of trophies in one day cricket. I know there are certain levels of injustice and racism, but I don't think the world has overlooked a fantastic talent. He was a favorite player of mine, very stylish and did OK on an ashes tour, as well as overcoming some serious health issues, but seriously the interview was slightly delusional with regard to his playing abilities, and if he was as good as he thinks he was, he would have played 150 tests.

In other news, Michael Carberry the former journeyman opener has said he could have played 50-100 tests, if it were not for institutional racism in English Cricket. He played 6, and averaged under 30, was a handy fielder who didn't bowl. In what universe could this have happened? He also said that he can't ever remember any black County captains, and while I can't think of many, the obvious one for me was Mark Alleyne, highly successful Gloucestershire captain who lead them to lots of trophies in one day cricket. I know there are certain levels of injustice and racism, but I don't think the world has overlooked a fantastic talent. He was a favorite player of mine, very stylish and did OK on an ashes tour, as well as overcoming some serious health issues, but seriously the interview was slightly delusional with regard to his playing abilities, and if he was as good as he thinks he was, he would have played 150 tests.

Using race to justify his shortcomings, sad really. Either he's very stupid or he knows deep down but craves the attention and an attempt to rewrite history.

He played 6 test matches, averaged 28.75, in 12 innings he scored 1 half century.

He played 6 one day internationals, averaged 19, scored 1 half century.

Over the long and short of the forms of the game Internationally he hasn’t performed.

His FC career....

Top Score... 300*

100/50’s... 35/67

Average... 41.02

Suggests he was chosen on merit, but if you don’t turn merit into runs on the international stage you only have yourself to blame. Not anybody else. 50-100 tests ? 50-100 runs to start with please.

Strumms wrote: »
    He played 6 test matches, averaged 28.75, in 12 innings he scored 1 half century.

He played 6 one day internationals, averaged 19, scored 1 half century.

Over the long and short of the forms of the game Internationally he hasn’t performed.

His FC career....

Top Score... 300*

100/50’s... 35/67

Average... 41.02

Suggests he was chosen on merit, but if you don’t turn merit into runs on the international stage you only have yourself to blame. Not anybody else.
    Very good county player and I thought he should have been picked for a few T20 internationals, was very good at 3 for Hampshire in T20 cricket.

Only one T20 cap where he didn’t contribute only scoring 7.

The English team has been littered with absolute class players at domestic level but who for whatever reason struggled big time to make the step up. The player who always springs to mind is John Crawley, the Lancashire batsman...

Tests:::

Matches... 37

Inns... 61

Top score... 156*

100’s/50’s ... 4/9

Average... 34.6

First Class :::

Matches... 351

Inns... 584

Top Score... 311*

100’s/50’s... 54/133

Ave... 46.5

Savage record.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Carberry was maybe a little unlucky, didn’t really perform but when you look at the matches he played nobody else did either. Most of them were ashes tests in Australia where only KP scored more runs during the series.

The player who most deserved an England cap and never got one was Hildreth but he suffered from the fact that people believed it was easy to make runs at Taunton.

• Advertisement

Carberry was 33 going on 34 making his debut... you’d need to be of the reality that this is one chance, your only chance... didn’t quite work out.

English pace attack in need of remodeling and upgrading.

In a few weeks Anderson is 39, Broad 35.

Who are the pretenders / contenders to the English pace throne ?

Jofra Archer : averages 3 wickets, per TEST...26 years old, played 13 test matches.. not an experienced test match cricketer but he’s nearer experienced then inexperienced...
    Took 6/45 vs the Aussies at Headingley so promise.... but he averages a wicket every 8 overs or so in the domestic game.

Mark Wood : 32 at his next birthday... be fair to say, what is his ability now, isn’t going to improve, the opposite....53 wickets in 18 tests. 2.94 wickets per test on average... not a reliable performer, not going to win many tests.

Chris Jordan : 32 at his next birthday, averages a wicket every 5.2 overs.

Chris Woakes : 1.5 wickets per test innings. Economical, but 32 and not a strike/wicket taker. Not going to change.

Craig Overton : 27, history, averages 2 wickets per test... , back in the shakeup. But needs to up a level.

Ollie Robinson : just started his career at international level with a five wicket haul, but 28 at his next birthday and already created a shîtstorm for himself, team and selectors with racist and sexist tweets...

English could really do with a seamer or even two to come along ASAP. Strange that going back decades there were always about 6 top class pace wicket takers to be in the shake up for selection... now ? Hmmmm not top class ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Overton has sped up a bit since he last played test, he has probably been the best seamer in county cricket the last couple of years.

TheDrog wrote: »
    Overton has sped up a bit since he last played test, he has probably been the best seamer in county cricket the last couple of years.

Truth, he has youth on his side just now at 27...just needs to find a consistent vein of form... probably now or never though... a sportsman at 27 is what you’d consider ‘peak’....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Olly Stone and Saqib Mahmood are ready and both should be playing this game. Fast enough to play away series too. Stone is injury prone however.

Overton was more useful as a batsman in the tests he played, if he has put on some pace that changes it. Robinson looks good, accurate and tall. His release point is the same as Jamieson. Ten year old tweets, give me a break. He's apologised now, move on. Overton said worse and more recent too.

I wonder how the Essex pair, Porter and Cook would do. Good numbers every year winning championships. Not that fast though.

Wood's pace is attractive. Away more so but Lord's yesterday was flat and he made a difference. Must be doubts about Archer now for test cricket. Injuries mounting up and has never replicated his debut performance.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Ten year old tweets, give me a break. He's apologised now, move on. Overton said worse and more recent too.

Not quite, it was obviously indicative of his upbringing, mindset, beliefs at the time... most of us managed to go through our teens and early 20’s not of a mind to think such things let alone express them.

It wasn’t proven re: Craig Overton, he got from my memory only a level one sanction by the ECB....When you would be picking a squad you want reliable performers and human beings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I don't believe anyone that claims they never said or even thought things in their youth that are unacceptable today. It's an act. No one is infallible.

He made a stupid misjudgement years ago and has apologised. Its not a pattern with him. If that's not good enough we're finished.

As a cricketer he has a fine first class record and had a good debut so far. Should have a fifer with Broad dropping him and then Root took him off so Broad could get himself a cheap tailender wicket

Saying those things were unacceptable then too..

Getting back to the on field action...

England will be very disappointed with their batting...

Only 5 batsmen got into double figures and four scores of 0, including two batsmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ollie Robinson suspeneded for all international games because of social media from when he was a teenager.

https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket/status/1401629884473040898?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ollie Robinson suspeneded for all international games because of social media from when he was a teenager.

https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket/status/1401629884473040898?s=20

Its a very messy story and much more complicated than the culture warriors whether left or right would admit.

I am torn, the comments even then were pretty dire , but they were 10 years ago and if he has no such form since then I don't know if this is fair.

Some will say he needs to be punished, but can't imagine he has enjoyed the last few weeks at all when his debut became such a story.

Advertisement