Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the Anti-Immigration Protect the Irish crowd- Why so Silent on American Tourists?

Options
  • 15-07-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Something has perplexed me.

Everyday on this little website we call Boards.ie we have multiple accounts (usually with piss poor spelling and grammar) telling us that Irish people are putting themselves at great risk allowing people in from other countries and cultures. We are told that hordes of people that will eventually attack and kill the native (and has to be white) Irish man and that it is a ticking time bomb.

So imagine my sheer confusion when those same people have been deathly silent on US immigration coming into Ireland unimpeded with a potentially fatal pathogen. Those Americans, coming from the most infected region in the world and in the majority of cases NOT respecting the Irish state's wishes for them to quarantine (thus two fingers up to the native (and white) Irish population) are literally putting the lives of Irish people in peril.

I don't hear our basement dwelling far righters making noise about this, why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Because a lot of them also think the virus is a hoax orchestrated by Bill Gates to Microchip everybody and steal Thier babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I would imagine most can discern between tourism which adds to the government coffers and allows us to pay for things like social welfare and immigration which does the opposite....the one's that don't wish to work are the issue ...although I can't speak for anyone but myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

GerryFog wrote: »

Everyday on this little website we call Boards.ie we have multiple accounts (usually with piss poor spelling and grammar) ......
    :pac: See above
    piplip87 wrote: »
    Because a lot of them also think the virus is a hoax orchestrated by Bill Gates to Microchip everybody and steal Thier babies.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I reckon a few of them actually are americans or at least spent a good bit of time there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Everyday on this little website we call Boards.ie we have multiple accounts (usually with piss poor spelling and grammar) telling us that Irish people are putting themselves at great risk allowing people in from other countries and cultures. We are told that hordes of people that will eventually attack and kill the native (and has to be white) Irish man and that it is a ticking time bomb.

So imagine my sheer confusion when those same people have been deathly silent on US immigration coming into Ireland unimpeded with a potentially fatal pathogen. Those Americans, coming from the most infected region in the world and in the majority of cases NOT respecting the Irish state's wishes for them to quarantine (thus two fingers up to the native (and white) Irish population) are literally putting the lives of Irish people in peril.

I absolutely have an issue with Americans coming here during this, id imagine many do, it just doesn't get airtime as its not as controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hasn't been brought up here. I didn't think this was even a factor, I thought Americans were still being barred entry to Europe currently.

edit: yep, definitely not on the approved list for EU travelers

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/07/which-countries-can-americans-safely-visit-this-summer-cvd/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Overheal wrote: »
    Hasn't been brought up here. I didn't think this was even a factor, I thought Americans were still being barred entry to Europe currently.

this is it, until some (quite unreliable) people on my Facebook news feed said it, I was still under the impression that they weren't coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I truly hope Corona virus hasn't affected the number of asylum spoofers coming here!
    What are all those who work in this industry going to do? Scary times indeed!
    Hang in there Jerry, with the Brits raising the drawbridge over brexit, Irelands welfare state will be the only show in town in 2021! Tis only a hiccup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I would imagine most can discern between tourism which adds to the government coffers and allows us to pay for things like social welfare and immigration which does the opposite....the one's that don't wish to work are the issue ...although I can't speak for anyone but myself!!

No chance silent corner, we're basement dwellers with bad grammar and spelling apparently! Thank God for predictive text - I could'a got apparently wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not that I am out and about all that much these Corona days, but I've still not seen any American tourists.

Did a google now that you mention it and found quite a lot of hits
    Covid-19: 200 to 250 people arriving in Ireland from US daily - Coveney
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-200-to-250-people-arriving-in-ireland-from-us-daily-coveney-1.4303426

Feckers, they're ruining it for the rest of us :(
    Stop the flights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Have a look at the thread in the coronavirus forum. Plenty of hand wringing about supposed American tourist hoardes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

edit: yep, definitely not on the approved list for EU travelers

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/07/which-countries-can-americans-safely-visit-this-summer-cvd/

Its been brought up on multiple threads, most very much against it. They're not allowed in the schengen area but our clowns decided to let them roam free.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »
    Not that I am out and about all that much these Corona days, but I've still not seen any American tourists.

Did a google now that you mention it and found quite a lot of hits

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-200-to-250-people-arriving-in-ireland-from-us-daily-coveney-1.4303426

Feckers, they're ruining it for the rest of us :(
    Stop the flights!

Wait so they can travel to Europe what was the point of the ban then? Or are these US flights of Irish nationals or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or are these US flights of Irish nationals or something.
    From what I gather O, some of them seem to be, but certainly not all. Either way IMHO it's a bloody stupid idea at the moment given the US is one of the worst affected countries on the planet. Not far off allowing flights from northern Italy in March and April. Though I suppose if they're compliant with quarantine... From what I've heard in interviews with some of them they're very critical of the US response and some of their fellow citizens being idiots about social distancing and masks and the like, so maybe they're more likely to be compliant than most?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Blocking US big spenders is gaining traction, well, until it passes peak stage.
    However comparing these short-stay folks on vacation isn't the same kettle of fish, if directly comparing to illegal, long-stay and high cost, black market, non-eu economic migrants.

One thing for sure is that the lads that jumped in/out of a HGV in Rosslare very recently, didn't have any airport style temperature checks, handgels or N95 facemasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Such a stupid thing, the Government really needs to show some backbone regardless of who they might insult, I agree those Italians should never have been allowed come but I also know an Irish girl that had the virus in Dublin all the way back in December which means it was already here, she was in hospital with breathing problems and they did not know what it was, she was tested recently and showed she had Covid antibodies and the Doctor confirmed it was here longer than march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thread hasn’t gone the way the OP expected...

I don't believe tourists from any Country that is a Covid-19 hot-spot should be allowed to enter this Country - but, note I said tourist! I have a neighbour who returned from America recently. His visa expired, he returned home, and quarantined for 2 weeks. No problem, there.

Now, someone who comes as a tourist, and travels the length and breadth of the Country, without being tested, is a clear danger.

What I don't understand, is now that we have greater testing capacity, why can't people voluntarily get tested, and get the results back in a day or two, thereby allowing them freedom to mix (obviously using social isolation) with the rest of us?

I have family working abroad.
    They have annual leave next month, and want to come home - but there's no point if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks, then go back. So, they're not coming home.

Would it not make sense for them to be able to get tested, even if it costs a few euro - and then enjoy their holiday?

They're not the only ones in that position, so, why isn't the Government addressing the issue of how to allow at least the Irish abroad to come and holiday safely?

There's a middle ground, but no-one in authority seems to be trying to find it....

Out of curiosity, could you name, say... 5... of these "basement dwelling far righters" so I could have a look at their thread histories and get an idea of what they are talking about?

Considering how often far-right is thrown around on boards, I'm kinda confused as to what it consists of nowadays.

Wibbs wrote: »
    From what I gather O, some of them seem to be, but certainly not all. Either way IMHO it's a bloody stupid idea at the moment given the US is one of the worst affected countries on the planet. Not far off allowing flights from northern Italy in March and April. Though I suppose if they're compliant with quarantine... From what I've heard in interviews with some of them they're very critical of the US response and some of their fellow citizens being idiots about social distancing and masks and the like, so maybe they're more likely to be compliant than most?

Well this was up on the RTE website the last two days, seemed a bit of an odd article when I first read it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0713/1153077-kerry-tourism/
    Customers at a restaurant in Tralee, Co Kerry, are being temperature checked and asked if they have been abroad.

If they have not quarantined, they are being politely refused entry.

Two groups of US diners were turned away from the Croí Restaurant in the historic Princes Street quarter of Tralee after admitting they had not quarantined, according to its chef Noel Keane.

Mr Keane said that the tourists were drop-in diners who were turned away over two days last week. One group was of three people, the other a party of four.

While one group did not object to being turned away, a person in the other group responded by saying the Covid-19 pandemic was "over-hyped", Mr Keane explained.

"Basically they did not believe the pandemic was serious," he added. "I feel I have a duty of care to staff and customers to provide the safest possible environment."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Thread hasn’t gone the way the OP expected...
    Even boards has only so may **** fests it can host per day

I don't believe tourists from any Country that is a Covid-19 hot-spot should be allowed to enter this Country - but, note I said tourist! I have a neighbour who returned from America recently. His visa expired, he returned home, and quarantined for 2 weeks. No problem, there.

Now, someone who comes as a tourist, and travels the length and breadth of the Country, without being tested, is a clear danger.

What I don't understand, is now that we have greater testing capacity, why can't people voluntarily get tested, and get the results back in a day or two, thereby allowing them freedom to mix (obviously using social isolation) with the rest of us?

I have family working abroad.
    They have annual leave next month, and want to come home - but there's no point if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks, then go back. So, they're not coming home.

Would it not make sense for them to be able to get tested, even if it costs a few euro - and then enjoy their holiday?

They're not the only ones in that position, so, why isn't the Government addressing the issue of how to allow at least the Irish abroad to come and holiday safely?

There's a middle ground, but no-one in authority seems to be trying to find it....
    Are you sure you can't get tested in Ireland? It's available at an airport I know of in another country, costs 180 euro and you have to wait 3-4 hours for the result, then you are free to go without quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Why are the media focusing on Americans and British when flights have been landing from all parts of the world throughout the entire Covid episode?

Why is it that pro multiculturalists have had no problem with anyone coming in from anywhere but now all of a sudden they're concerned with Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We should treat them all the same, any Yanks caught here should put in a rubber dingy and towed to the Libyan coast.

🙈🙉🙊

Are you sure you can't get tested in Ireland? It's available at an airport I know of in another country, costs 180 euro and you have to wait 3-4 hours for the result, then you are free to go without quarantine

As far as I am aware, testing is carried out by the HSE, on referral by a doctor.

If there's a way for people to get tested voluntarily, I haven't heard of it. Meaning those entering the Country for a holiday probably haven't either...

So, maybe the HSE needs to make it available, at, say, a small profit, (It's not as if the health services don't need massive investment!) - and the end result would be win/win for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Probably the worst aspect of the State's handling of the Covid crisis has been the refusal to take any measures whatsoever to control or even screen entrants to the country. Ever since the Italy match fiasco an irrational aversion to such measures was evident.

That said I'm sceptical of some of the commentary about "Texans" swarming around infecting us at will. It reminds me of the panic mongering nonsense about Dublin regs spotted in Galway that was rampant among alarmist simpletons back in March.

Needless to say the OP's strawmanning is risible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Because most of them are white.

And yes you are correct ..they are not self isolating for 14 days ...they don't get it ..they think that they can do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Probably the worst aspect of the State's handling of the Covid crisis has been the refusal to take any measures whatsoever to control or even screen entrants to the country. Ever since the Italy match fiasco an irrational aversion to such measures was evident.

That said I'm sceptical of some of the commentary about "Texans" swarming around infecting us at will. It reminds me of the panic mongering nonsense about Dublin regs spotted in Galway that was rampant among alarmist simpletons back in March.

Needless to say the OP's strawmanning is risible.

That is not what the New York Times thinks.
    And its not what Irish people working in the tourist industry think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/world/europe/Ireland-americans-break-quarantine.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes
    Janet Cavanagh, whose electric bike tour company offers a guided glimpse of western Ireland’s windswept landscape, saw her business come to a swift halt — along with nearly everything else — as the coronavirus pandemic forced the country into lockdown.
    She recently reopened her doors, eager to restart business and make up for lost time as restrictions eased.
    But she and a number of other business owners say that Ireland faces a new and unexpected threat: Tourists, particularly American ones, who flout Ireland’s quarantine rule.
    With the pandemic still raging unabated in much of the United States, unlike in Europe, Americans are among those most likely to be infected. They aren’t the only tourists ignoring the requirement that people arriving in Ireland isolate themselves for 14 days, but most of the public complaints involve Americans.
    Last weekend, Ms. Cavanagh canceled a guided tour for two people who had just arrived from the United States and didn’t think Ireland’s travel quarantine applied to them. She said she felt the responsibility to turn them away for the safety of her staff and community.

“You don’t want to be responsible for endangering anybody here, because you have to live here,” she said, adding that it was simply not worth the ris

There is going to be a green list on Mon. The US is not going to be on that list.

Because most of them are white.

And yes you are correct ..they are not self isolating for 14 days ...they don't get it ..they think that they can do anything

That seems rather racist. Seriously. I do wonder about your posts sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That seems rather racist. Seriously. I do wonder about your posts sometimes.

Ah now really. Do you think the anti immigration gang mean white English speaking Daphne and John from Melbourne, St. Louis or Pretoria when they rant about losing our culture to Johnny foreigner?

Advertisement