Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi on Trains

Options
  • 14-07-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

I need to take a work call while travelling between Wexford and Dublin by train tomorrow. Would the internet connection be capable of handling this? I can use my mobile data on my phone if needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

WiFi and 4G is patchy. Literally nothing going around Bray Head, drops in and out around Killiney and in the cuttings south of Dun Laoghaire. I'd imagine it's unreliable between Wicklow, Rathdrum and Arklow as well as the line goes through cuttings, hills etc.

The train WiFi uses 4G, so where the WiFi isn't working there's a good chance your phone data also won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’ll be travelling on the Bray to Rathdrum section for most of the call so that’s not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If you make the call immediately as you are out of the big long tunnel before coming into Greystones station you will have a good 15-20 minutes of signal right through to the far side of Wicklow. It could get patchy after Rathnew on the approach to Rathdrum.

I would advise using normal phone call as opposed to relying on 4G.

Whatever you do, don't try and call when you hop on at Bray. Enjoy the view out the left side as the line winds its way through Bray head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Everything went perfectly until after Bray when there was a series of seemingly never ending long tunnels to go under

Advertisement