Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E30 318is

Options
  • 14-07-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi. I've an E30 1991 318is and thinking of selling. There are not many for sale to compare prices so just wondering what should I price it at. Was also thinking of part exchanging for a E30 cabriolet, am I mad to do this?

Also how much would fixing rusted jacking points cost.

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any knowledge out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So it doesn't have NCT and it needs some welding then? On Irish plates? Any pics? What's the date of first registration - this makes a big difference as to when it becomes eligble for classic motor tax next year. Could be as soon as the first of January, or at the very end of next year, which is still the guts of €1,000 in motor tax away from being classic. You need to also describe the car in more details with good and bad points, before anyone in here can guess a value for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Are the jacking points actually gone, or just the box sections from the factory? (Which aren't suitable for jacking up the car!)

Eitherway, literally everything price related depends on the stuff you haven't really mentioned - mileage, spec, condition. Likewise, you've given no details on the cabrio you're thinking of swapping it for!

A rough 318is will be around 2k, an exceptionally tidy, low mileage one will be towards 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Thanks for replies thus far. Didn't want to give all the details on the car as don't want to use here as a shop window. Just wanted a guide as regards price bands which I got re €2k to €10k which gives me an idea on how to price it as needs tidying up. Agree the date it becomes a classic is important. In this case late 21.

Looking at either an E30 320i or 325i convertible. Really was asking what an average 318is would go for and as the years go by will the 'is' appreciate in value as the M3s go out of sight and am I better holding on than exchanging for a convertible.

Have had a few enquiries about selling here and if interested can message me

Any additional advice welcome. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All E30s have gone up in value by lots in the last few years. M3 are already insane money imho. And the is models make strong money too. Would you not just hold on to it, or have you your heart set on a convertible? Wouldn't be my first choice of a convertible car. And if the running costs (read: motor tax) of your 318is bothers you, you could take it off the road and take your time getting it restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Thanks Unkel for that advice and the more I think of it I think you're probably right. Keep the car and tidy it up. I suppose from a numbers perspective there are not many 'is' made and the M3 is gone into another dimension, the 325i moving too.

2 questions to pick your brains.

1. Is the 325i a better investment than the 318is?
    2.What convertible would you get?

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The iS is a lovely motor, most/all of them will be vintage next year if not already. Their prices are on the up to as mentioned by Unkel and KDevitt

Genuine 325i Sports are making big money, all E30's seem to be making big money recently. I personally don't see the appeal of a Sport, that not to say I don't like the look or anything. They are a fully optioned 325, I guess the sport label makes them that bit more desirable based on numbers made.

You don't see many tec1 (pre-facelift) sports, those would be my pick or in cabby for they look good to.

Get the iS back to factory condition or at least close and you have a lovely fun car that is only getting more desirable.

Advertisement