Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On that note there seems to be some plot holes with the timeline of the different stages of infection because if he turned the same time they did then he would not be stalker or they would all be stalkers.

Yeah thought that myself, didn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just finished. A real rollercoaster of emotions, but thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Absolutely gorgeous looking game, with exceptional detail. Gameplay very similar to first one, but there is some decent progression with different enemies and combat styles. The storyline I thought was both brave and brilliant, but that's best left for the spoiler thread... all in all a game not without its faults, but a top experience nonetheless. Solid 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Just finished aswell...all i can say is WOW. There's a lot to digest but i loved it, story, graphics, some amazing set pieces. A worthy follow up to one of my favourite games of all time.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm skipping the cutscenes on the second playthrough
    (Joel and Ellie moments aside)
    and watching a lot of loading screens. The cutscenes really do a good job of masking the loading screens

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm skipping the cutscenes on the second playthrough
    (Joel and Ellie moments aside)
    and watching a lot of loading screens. The cutscenes really do a good job of masking the loading screens

Good to know. I'm saving my survivor/survivor+ for a month or so.

Trying to play some strategy /racing games with the tunes going. Something uplifting!

Actually I just got Death stranding lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Just watched the credits roll . I have already left a couple of my impressions already on this thread but I can finally give my overall opinion on this game .

I have stated a few times in the past already but I was not a fan of the first game . Outside of its incredibly presented Cutscenes and well written story I did not find Last of us that grate of a game . Between its clunky controls , its level design and the constant repetitiveness of its gameplay loop ,really left an unsatisfying experience for me as a whole.

So when Last of us 2 was announced to get a sequel my first thoughts were whats the point ? the first game was wrapped up so well it didnt need a sequel to my eyes, but it could of left an interesting chance for the game to change things up and follow another set of characters in the same world.

But E3 came around with its 20 minute game presentation and while the game looked incredible visually I was back to being confused why Naughty Dog decide to continue with Ellie and Joel. to me there was a missed opportunity.

The controversy surrounding Last of us 2 characters and how the way they were behaving and the storyarc as a whole is the least of the game problems imho.
    the length of the game hurts it , 30 hours is way too long and I was feeling that after the 15 hour mark playing it .
    Going back to the same locations more than once felt like the devs were running out of ideas when it came to different locations
    there is only so many times you can make the aquarium interesting

The combat is actually kinda pathetic in alot of ways. The amount of money that went into this project and the development time I would of expected the game would not feel so prehistoric. it almost one to one the exact same as the first game outside of the dodge button and prone .

There also seems to be alot of false advertising with the build up leading up to the release date . I remember vividly Neil saying
    you dont have to kill the dog , but ellie kills owens dog in the Aquarium with no option not to

it was also suggested the game would have a big amount of upgrade features to weapons when in reality , there was not that much at all.

Overall I give the game a 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Just finished it! I had managed to avoid all spoilers before release and during release. All I was aware of was that there was controversy about the plot or characters... so I kept waiting for something to happen. And I kept waiting until the end.... what on earth was the problem?

Guess I'd better go look at the other thread?

Anyway, I loved the game. Enjoyed the new and old characters alike. Gutted that it's finished now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There also seems to be alot of false advertising with the build up leading up to the release date . I remember vividly Neil saying
    you dont have to kill the dog , but ellie kills owens dog in the Aquarium with no option not to
    I think I remember they did say there was one dog you'd have to kill, but all others were optional

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This isn’t a ‘false advertising’ complaint, but as I said early I do wish they’d been a bit more open about the basic premise of the game in pre-release material. Not to treat the prologue as some big, secretive spoiler that even reviewers couldn’t openly discuss (it’s absolutely absurd that critics weren’t able to mention the plot’s inciting incident in their reviews of the entire game). I think it could have been a great way to create more consistent expectations for the game and indeed conjure up some intrigue about how things would play out.

This idea that every plot development has to be big some big hush-hush secret just IMO gets in the way, and fosters the sort of exaggerated spoilerphobia and trolling we saw in the weeks before this game came out. Obviously don’t spell out the ending or anything like that, but give enough detail to just let people know the very basics of the game. They IMO missed a trick here in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This isn’t a ‘false advertising’ complaint, but as I said early I do wish they’d been a bit more open about the basic premise of the game in pre-release material. Not to treat the prologue as some big, secretive spoiler that even reviewers couldn’t openly discuss (it’s absolutely absurd that critics weren’t able to mention the plot’s inciting incident in their reviews of the entire game). I think it could have been a great way to create more consistent expectations for the game and indeed conjure up some intrigue about how things would play out.

This idea that every plot development has to be big some big hush-hush secret just IMO gets in the way, and fosters the sort of exaggerated spoilerphobia and trolling we saw in the weeks before this game came out. Obviously don’t spell out the ending or anything like that, but give enough detail to just let people know the very basics of the game. They IMO missed a trick here in that regard.

Going in blind really helps to make everything that bit more interesting. I had a couple of things spoiled on me - one from just from clicking into Youtube to view something else - and I know they would have had a much bigger impact if I didn't know they were coming up and was waiting for the plot point to happen. Thankfully it didn't happen for too many things and for the things that were spoiled on me it wasn't a big deal... I'm in my forties so if I couldn't handle discovering a couple of spoilers, I'd really have to some serious words with myself.

This stuff I've seen online of people with petitions demanding that ND rewrite TLOU2 or complaining about being lied to... that is just the worst manbaby shít I've heard in a while. If that's how you're thinking, have a word with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Every “no spoilers” review called it a
    revenge story
    . All gameplay shown was
    Ellie
    . I hadn’t seen anything that said
    Joel dies
    but I was waiting for it to happen from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Late game spoilers (I guess?)
    When Tommy popped Manny's head like an egg I let out a "Yes!" through gritted teeth. Wonderful moment.

Platinum in the bag. Goddamn what a great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

The reviews are nuts... I thought the game was brilliant...
    It's long which I wanted. Loved the story and ti look at its absolutely amazing...

Guys reviewing this are on a completely different page than I am. My son played it and lost interest half way through.... He then picked it up again and played through and thought it was great

I'm not whinging at folks disliking the game everyone is entitled to an opinion. But when I see the reasons why I'm baffled

I think a lot of the reasons are valid but are painted in a way to dismiss or mock the people who have them.
    From what I've seen most concerns are around the story. This is certainly divisive and plenty of people don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

I finished this last week. Took my time with it and clocked in at about 42 hours.

Overall, I absolutely loved it, I definitely preferred it to the first game.

Think we're still using spoilers in this thread so:
    I do understand the controversy around Joel's death, I'll freely admit to absolutely loving the character. I had seen nothing prior to going in so his death completely shocked me. However, the act fit in with the world and I think thats the best thing you can say about the game, the story fit the world that has been created.

Its funny, all the way through, I think the only act that I felt guilty about was Nora. As Ellie, I beat the sh!t out of her bad and then you see that she wasn't that bad. :)

I do agree that the Abby sections did probably drag, particularly the Descent but I loved the Rat King battle and whole section in Ground Zero.

For me, the funniest part was when Ellie is back on the farm the first time and she's sitting outside on the tractor with JJ. She says something like "We all poop ourselves sometimes" and I was like, ye f*cking sure we do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I completed this in 22 hours, maybe me ****ting myself playing it 90% of the time had something to do with how quick I got through it. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a good bit more of this last night and actually started to enjoy it. It's maddening the amount of non playable bits they make you go through before the game starts proper but once it let me actually play the game it's gotten a lot better.

You really notice this when you are skipping cutscenes. You spend ages doing nothing except watching loading screens or mashing the x button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You really notice this when you are skipping cutscenes. You spend ages doing nothing except watching loading screens or mashing the x button.

I'm presuming this is during another playthrough cos otherwise this is blasphemy.

• Advertisement

TLOU was maybe the first game I didn't skip cutscenes. I'll admit my finger hovered over the X button a few times with this one but ultimately I saw it through to the bitter end.

Suffering through the Abbychrist scenes a second time round is a no no for me though. I've watched all the Joel and Ellie ones again.

I'm presuming this is during another playthrough cos otherwise this is blasphemy.

Gimli ain't got time for no cutscenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Just finished it now. Not sure what I made of it to be honest. Loved some bits but found others a bit monotonous. Story is very good in fairness. Thought it would be a pain playing as a new chatachter but actually really enjoyed that story. Maybe 8/10 for me.

Avoided all spoilers before playing it. Not sure what the controversy was all about. Saw nothing that could really have had people so upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just finished it now. Not sure what I made of it to be honest. Loved some bits but found others a bit monotonous. Story is very good in fairness. Thought it would be a pain playing as a new chatachter but actually really enjoyed that story. Maybe 8/10 for me.

Avoided all spoilers before playing it. Not sure what the controversy was all about. Saw nothing that could really have had people so upset!

Eh there are Gay people as central characters and a woman with a body type that people aren't used to seeing. You might want to check your outrageometer there, It seems to be on the blink.

While there is certainly outrage of this type which is highlighted and I would suggest even promoted by Naughty Dog, there are also some far more legitimate concerns in relation to the sequel. I feel like I'll be banging this drum until the end of time.

The extent some people are willing to bring their outrage is amplified by the internet and unfortunate however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can someone let me know how much of the story I have left to complete (hours or %)

I am currently
    playing as Abby and I'm heading to the hospital with Lev to get supplies for Yara's surgery

You're about 66.5% complete

Edit was actually typing as Phantom was so we've obviously come to the same conclusion completnesswise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can someone let me know how much of the story I have left to complete (hours or %)

I am currently
    playing as Abby and I'm heading to the hospital with Lev to get supplies for Yara's surgery

Probably 70% or so, 6 hours maybe depending how far you've already made it
    towards the hospital.

Advertisement