Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just came back from a holiday in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've done two hotel breaks in Ireland in the last few weeks and both went great. We just had to book time for breakfast and pool which wasn't an issue and worked well. Felt very safe, were able to sit and order a few drinks, dinner was lovely, was great to get kids out of the house and feel like it was a little holiday. I've more breaks booked, great value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Heading down the country in two weeks and staying in a 4 star.

We're really just using it as a base, so not too concerned about the perks but I certainly still paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

reg114 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are from out of state, which leads me to pose the question , WHY DO YOU THINK ITS OK TO TRAVEL? You are putting yourself and the people you come in contact with in harms way. We are the the middle of a pandemic how on earth people can contemplate going abroad on holidays is beyond me , let alone start moaning about their experience. Hotels have been closed for months like most businesses, expecting anything approaching a normal service is ridiculous. Prices will invariably remain the same or even go up to counterbalance the lack of trade since March. Im not saying i approve of high prices at all but i can see where the mark up is coming from . I cant however approve of foreign visitors visiting ireland at the moment. Its ludicrously irresponsible.

Jesus, even a thread about holidaying within Ireland is subject to this shíte now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

pc7 wrote: »
    I've done two hotel breaks in Ireland in the last few weeks and both went great. We just had to book time for breakfast and pool which wasn't an issue and worked well. Felt very safe, were able to sit and order a few drinks, dinner was lovely, was great to get kids out of the house and feel like it was a little holiday. I've more breaks booked, great value to be had.

Agree with you. We had a few days in the Fitzwilton in Waterford recently and it was fine. The bar was open. No issues with room cleaning, etc. Just had to book a time for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went to a 5 star last weekend - Mount Juliet. It was about 30% cheaper than usually would be.

The pool was closed and tea/coffee facilities and minibar were gone from room. The restaurant which has a michelin star was offering a much reduced menu (suited us fine). We were upgraded to a suite and the views were amazing.

The only thing that upset me was no newspaper in the morning. Id really been looking forward to reading it with a cup of coffee. Other than that though, it was really lovely.

• Advertisement

I had a night booked in the cliff house in Waterford, 5 star spa hotel. They never said anything at the time of booking or emailed me about it but if you check their website it says you have to book in the for the pool, the sauna and steam room etc. are closed. I went to book a time and asked how long we'd have and they initially ignored that question, I asked again after a few more mails and they confirmed 30 minutes. I cancelled immediately, any kind of fancy hotel is certainly not worth it at the moment.

Can you explain a bit about this please. I am booked there for a couple of weeks time.

Do you mean you only have access to the pool for 30 mins? That's not too bad. Probably less ppl in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Jesus, even a thread about holidaying within Ireland is subject to this shíte now.

In reply to people recommending that you go to Spain and find a hotel that isn't taking any precautions.

Edit - actually, my mistake, they weren't replying to that, that was just the post above them. Personally I'd be much happier to go to a hotel in Ireland that is taking precautions over one abroad that isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭HBC08

Stayed in a lovely 4star hotel last week in North Mayo just for one night.Weather was atrocious so we just enjoyed the room,it was a suite and it was class.Down for dinner and then stayed a few hours for drinks after.The place was busy and there were no over the top covid regs that impacted us at all (we just had to pick our time for breakfast,that was literally it)
    Was so impressed with the room we tried to book again and stay and extra night,they couldnt accommodate us as they were full,a thurs night.
    Weather was great the next day and spent it driving around 3 blue flags beaches and the sea stack at Downpatrick,also took a drive down to Blacksod,a perfect day.
    I'm from Mayo myself and booked this night away for the mrs birthday when we had to stay in our own county,what a county to stay in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

A lot of hotels doing different things. Some pools and spas are open and some aren't. A hotel in Cavan is allowing residents to stay in the bar after dinner but another hotel isn't - you can sit in the lobby though and they will serve you there. I suppose it depends on the size of their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

FillaName wrote: »
    Can you explain a bit about this please. I am booked there for a couple of weeks time.

Do you mean you only have access to the pool for 30 mins? That's not too bad. Probably less ppl in it too.

You get to use the pool for 30 minutes only. You need to book a time, you can't just go down whenever you want. The rest of the spa facilities aren't open, although I think the jacuzzi is. There are some treatments still going if you want one but nothing massage related. If you're still planning on going I'd recommend emailing them to book your slot now so you don't get stuck with something that doesn't suit. Personally I would spend more like 2 hours using the spa in those sorts of hotels, it wasn't worth the price tag for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

CBear1993 wrote: »

Now I can see why!! I was half tempted before hearing this.

Will hold out for Portugal in Sept/October. Algarve still has little to no cases.

I wish you'd convince my missus of that! At her insistence, we cancelled our accommodation in Sagres recently (and lost a deposit :mad: ) as she's still unhappy about flying there. Even though we're not due to fly out until end-September. :(

Of course she may still change her mind, but I won't be holding my breath as that would be unprecedented!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good to see things moving a bit again. Since we have no young kids tend to avoid the July and August family rush. Not going abroad either this year.

Going to do a bit of the Wild Atlantic Way early September. Through Leitrim (the road from Manorhamilton to Kinlough would knock you out with Ben Bulben views). Undiscovered and very special. Then to Tullaghan and back down to Sligo Westport and Achill. Sounds good. Will see what the accommodation options are like mid August.

Hope it all works out for the Holistayers.

You get to use the pool for 30 minutes only. You need to book a time, you can't just go down whenever you want. The rest of the spa facilities aren't open, although I think the jacuzzi is. There are some treatments still going if you want one but nothing massage related. If you're still planning on going I'd recommend emailing them to book your slot now so you don't get stuck with something that doesn't suit. Personally I would spend more like 2 hours using the spa in those sorts of hotels, it wasn't worth the price tag for me.

Thanks that's really helpful. Wouldn't of been aware of that.

I'll get onto them and book everything. I hope there's availability now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

This is a serious question - how does removing TV/Minibar/tea & coffee facilities from rooms reduce risk of transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,279 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

+1

Spain is open for business, as an example, heres one hotel's list of measures which include lots of tweaks (eg. show cooking stand now in the open air rather than indoors) but pool, sauna, room cleaning etc are running pretty much as per normal
    https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/majorca/innside-palma-bosque/stay-safe.htm

Its a lovely hotel btw, should anyone be still looking for a holiday in the sun !
    Oh I stayed in a few melia hotels before they have all been lovely. The one in sitges is top notch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is exactly what awaits people who decide to go on holidays in Spain, etc this Summer.
    Not a holiday if you ask me.

Ah stop will you - At least in Spain I can sit out on my terrace / balcony / decking in 30+ degrees heat and not have to watch pissy Irish weather while being shafted by publicans who have decided to stick a pint up by a euro because of the lost business.
    In some parts of Spain a pint has come down by a euro to entice tourists in the door. Pools and bars are all open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,279 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in a hotel in cork a few weekends back no issues.
    Had to book a slot for breakfast, no issues getting a drink served in the residents bar either but it was empty.
    They had little santised bags with cutlery and small salt and peppers, napkin at meals.
    The tea and coffee things in room were all disposable and in sealed bags plus they gave you hand sanitizer and a little set of surface wipes, again in a sealed bag.
    Very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

When booking a time for breakfast, do you have to order your food at the same time, or is it just a la carte ordering in the restaurant - assuming no buffets?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ah stop will you - At least in Spain I can sit out on my terrace / balcony / decking in 30+ degrees heat and not have to watch pissy Irish weather while being shafted by publicans who have decided to stick a pint up by a euro because of the lost business.
    In some parts of Spain a pint has come down by a euro to entice tourists in the door. Pools and bars are all open for business.

Have irish pubs really done that ?
    That's shameful if that's the case and they should be named

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Stayed in a hotel in Wicklow last weekend. Really enjoyed myself. Yes, it's not the experience it used to be, yes there are compromises- but I felt it was worth it to get away from the house and feel like an adult again after months stuck at home!

Everything was well communicated in advance. The room was as it always was. No services missing, apart from the physical book of services that usually on the table. TV was there and operational!

You had to book in for your swim session. You had an hour (which is probably as long as I would stay normally anyway) and had to change in your room. About 20 people in the pool for the session. No bothers, very relaxing.

Dinner was the same, you booked in advance but there was no problem getting drinks in advance or retiring to a common area after for another couple of drinks. The bar itself was closed but they had staff on the floor taking orders. No hassle.

Your breakfast time was booked in advance and you ordered whatever you wanted off the menu on the day. Not quite the grab a bit of everything buffet experience, but I find that very busy anyway so it was alright by me.

The Spa was open for some treatments, if that's your thing. Room service was encouraged. In fact, there was little different really. Service was patchy at times as it was the first weekend and staff were adjusting. But all in all it was very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

bohsfan wrote: »
    Stayed in a hotel in Wicklow last weekend. Really enjoyed myself. Yes, it's not the experience it used to be, yes there are compromises- but I felt it was worth it to get away from the house and feel like an adult again after months stuck at home!

Everything was well communicated in advance. The room was as it always was. No services missing, apart from the physical book of services that usually on the table. TV was there and operational!

You had to book in for your swim session. You had an hour (which is probably as long as I would stay normally anyway) and had to change in your room. About 20 people in the pool for the session. No bothers, very relaxing.

Dinner was the same, you booked in advance but there was no problem getting drinks in advance or retiring to a common area after for another couple of drinks. The bar itself was closed but they had staff on the floor taking orders. No hassle.

Your breakfast time was booked in advance and you ordered whatever you wanted off the menu on the day. Not quite the grab a bit of everything buffet experience, but I find that very busy anyway so it was alright by me.

The Spa was open for some treatments, if that's your thing. Room service was encouraged. In fact, there was little different really. Service was patchy at times as it was the first weekend and staff were adjusting. But all in all it was very enjoyable.

Sounds ok. Can you mention the name of the establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We just came back from a long weekend in Athlone. We stayed in an AirBnB house, the owners have long checklist of stuff they have to do to sanitise the place and its was all sparking, no complaints. We went to Bay Sports ones of the day (outdoor water adventure place on Lough Ree) and was very impressed how they had the place set up to deal with the current situation. At the end they took our wetsuits and soaked them in an enormous vat of sanitiser water which was very reassuring as they are obviously worn skin tight.
    Athlone castle was only taking bookings in advance which was grand , felt like we owned the place as there was only a few others there.
    The weather wasnt great, but cant blame that on the virus and we all had a brilliant time. People are making do in the current situation, wouldnt hesitate to do it again somewhere else in the country.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    We just came back from a long weekend in Athlone. We stayed in an AirBnB house, the owners have long checklist of stuff they have to do to sanitise the place and its was all sparking, no complaints. We went to Bay Sports ones of the day (outdoor water adventure place on Lough Ree) and was very impressed how they had the place set up to deal with the current situation. At the end they took our wetsuits and soaked them in an enormous vat of sanitiser water which was very reassuring as they are obviously worn skin tight.
    Athlone castle was only taking bookings in advance which was grand , felt like we owned the place as there was only a few others there.
    The weather wasnt great, but cant blame that on the virus and we all had a brilliant time. People are making do in the current situation, wouldnt hesitate to do it again somewhere else in the country.

That's the spirit! We are also not too sure about hotels TBH, would prefer small B+Bs of a good quality mind! Bars or lack of them don't bother us. But a local place within walking distance is always a bonus. Just have to do a bit of digging
    To plan it out.

Funnily enough it is actually passing a lot of time checking places out, much more so than a flight, transfer/car hire and hotel abroad, although we loved them too I'm no snob, but in quieter areas of France, Italy and Spain. But none of those countries are going anywhere anytime soon either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have irish pubs really done that ?
    That's shameful if that's the case and they should be named

Most of the pubs in Maynooth have put the price of a pint up. Used to around 5.20 - 5.40 before the lockdown. My daughter paid 6.20 over the weekend in 2 of them.

TBH I wouldn't have a huge problem paying a bit more for a pint or whatever now. Same goes for food.

It has been very tough for these sectors. The concern is that it will become the norm and people will have to rebel, and just go back to where they were during the lockdown and buy a few beers and wine from the supermarket and the offie.

It's not as if going to a pub is a magical experience anymore, well maybe for some, but let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are pools not cleaned daily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Most of the pubs in Maynooth have put the price of a pint up. Used to around 5.20 - 5.40 before the lockdown. My daughter paid 6.20 over the weekend in 2 of them.

That’s actually shocking, it’ll be more tins at home for everyone if they’re not careful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I stayed in a couple of hotels last week. Both had pool and bar open, albeit you had to book a time at the pool.

You had to request a kettle from reception bizarrely but they just gave it to you when you asked.

Breakfast was table service and you needed to book a time. Obviously tv and remotes were present and correct.

In one hotel all the staff were wearing facemasks, in the other, none were.

Generally good service and value but Irish weather is generally ****e.

Still looking forward to 2 weeks in Spain at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 learner161

Yeats Hotel in Sligo is very strict. They tell you when you can come out of your room and they will tell you when you have to return to your room.
    I understand they don't want you to be hanging around the lobby area but your well to stay at home. I work in this industry and what guests have told us after staying there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I had a night booked in the cliff house in Waterford, 5 star spa hotel. They never said anything at the time of booking or emailed me about it but if you check their website it says you have to book in the for the pool, the sauna and steam room etc. are closed. I went to book a time and asked how long we'd have and they initially ignored that question, I asked again after a few more mails and they confirmed 30 minutes. I cancelled immediately, any kind of fancy hotel is certainly not worth it at the moment.

You may as well fly abroad at this point. The government hasn't given any proper advice for reopening and facilitating stay at home holidays whether it be gyms and spas or pubs.

With the media stories this week, it has now been confirmed that no enforcement of the quarantining will actually happen and the fact the virus is under control in other EU countries, it's time to book the flights before the green list comes out on the 20th as there are some good deals currently on flights.

Advertisement