Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grange GC

• 14-07-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I am a member at Carton House, and recently moved to the South Side (Terenure). Having a look at the map and the courses around, Grange GC would be very convenient, much more so than 30 min to Carton.

Anyone know what the hello money and application process is like these days? I have searched these forums and read lots of older posts but did not see anything from the past few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I am a member at Carton House, and recently moved to the South Side (Terenure). Having a look at the map and the courses around, Grange GC would be very convenient, much more so than 30 min to Carton.

Anyone know what the hello money and application process is like these days? I have searched these forums and read lots of older posts but did not see anything from the past few years.

€12-15k hello money..
    Also tight admission list

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Take a look at Castle GC too. As easy to get to and a better course in my view. Full membership is tough but various other options.

Rippeditup wrote:
    €12-15k hello money.. Also tight admission list

Not right to call it "hello" money. When you join a member owned club like Grange (or Castle, Milltown, Elm Park) you are buying a share that allows you enjoy the facilities developed by the members over many years.

First Up wrote: »
    Not right to call it "hello" money. When you join a member owned club like Grange (or Castle, Milltown, Elm Park) you are buying a share that allows you enjoy the facilities developed by the members over many years.

Not really a "share" as if you decide to leave you cannot sell on the "share".. I know this was something done in Correstown but not in the above from what I have seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pavillion membership probably your best bet, I think 750 per year up to 5 years can be put towards joining fee. You still need proposer and seconder though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Not saying its right to call it hello money but its definitely not right to call it a "share". That would insinuate that you have invested financially and can sell this at a loss/profit in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

What's wrong with calling it "hello money?" is it not basically what an entrance fee is?

It's often a useful way of keeping lower income earners out of clubs too. A lot of clubs with entrance fees don't really need the money. But they want the exclusivity. It's fine having a few come through the junior ranks who might get away with not paying it. But they might not want the local postman or barman getting in. The ratio of jags and mercs to ford's and opels in the car par might change and cheapen the place a bit.

That said, in relation to the club question they seemed really nice. I lived not too far from them in the past and they did a very reasonable evening rate. I played a few times and often ended up playing with members and they were lovely. It's a fine course too, very very traditional parkland was my impression. If you're going to be living in the area for the next 30 years, you could spread the cost over that time frame in your mind if you're trying to justify it.

blue note wrote: »
    What's wrong with calling it "hello money?" is it not basically what an entrance fee is?

It's often a useful way of keeping lower income earners out of clubs too. A lot of clubs with entrance fees don't really need the money. But they want the exclusivity. It's fine having a few come through the junior ranks who might get away with not paying it. But they might not want the local postman or barman getting in. The ratio of jags and mercs to ford's and opels in the car par might change and cheapen the place a bit.

That said, in relation to the club question they seemed really nice. I lived not too far from them in the past and they did a very reasonable evening rate. I played a few times and often ended up playing with members and they were lovely. It's a fine course too, very very traditional parkland was my impression. If you're going to be living in the area for the next 30 years, you could spread the cost over that time frame in your mind if you're trying to justify it.

I think it is about expecting new members to contribute to what the earlier generations of members have put into it. It is also about expecting new members to show commitment. Member owned clubs are entitled to choose who they want as fellow members.

By the way I am not against having to pay the hello money, I was looking at the Grange before COVID but with the move to more remote working my wife will have me moving from Rathfarnham asap so not worth it now so joined Stackstown but the price is high (and worth it IMO with location and club) but the OP asked about hello money and compared to Carton which is EUR2.5k per year the EUR 15k I think is a big investment ontop of 2.5k per year for the grange

Not saying its right to call it hello money but its definitely not right to call it a "share". That would insinuate that you have invested financially and can sell this at a loss/profit in the future.

Not a tradable share but there have been cases where members were offered cash to agree to sell land to developers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not a tradable share but there have been cases where members were offered cash to agree to sell land to developers etc.

That's on the proviso that you maintain your "share" by paying your annual membership every year.

The initial payment is an "option" to retain a share in that sense.

"Hello" money covers it fairly well imo.

PARlance wrote:
    That's on the proviso that you maintain your "share" by paying your annual membership every year.
    Not sure about that. If you buy into a member owned club you are a part owner. The annual sub entitles you to play but are you not still a member either way?
    PARlance wrote:
    Dunno about that either Maybe a member of such a club can clarify.

PARlance wrote:
    It's a term usually applied to supermarkets for the privilege of doing business with them. It doesn't buy you a section on a shelf (or anything else) so not really equivalent to becoming a member of a member owned club

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Ya the initial 4 figure sum is just "hello" money.

The "membership" is just an annual fee after that.

I think the clubs preference is for prospective members to get the pavilion membership first so the members can suss you out before your nominated,seconded, signed sealed and delivered by all within the club. I think there is a poster here who went through all the rigamarole before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure about that. If you buy into a member owned club you are a part owner. The annual sub entitles you to play but are you not still a member either way?

Dunno about that either Maybe a member of such a club can clarify.

It's a term usually applied to supermarkets for the privilege of doing business with them. It doesn't buy you a section on a shelf (or anything else) so not really equivalent to becoming a member of a member owned club

I was always under the impression that you generally need to continue to pay your annual membership. Allowances may be granted due to exceptional circumstances on request, but it's certainly not a case of picking and choosing when you want to turn on/off your playing rights/paying the annual membership. That's my understanding of it anyway.

I've never heard the supermarket reference before and I grew up in retail. Not saying it's not used but I think most people know it from golf.

It's money paid to gain access to a club, it can be lost without paying the annual membership (subject to clarification) and has no value unless there's a an exceptional circumstance. "Hello" money is a much more apt term for it than a "share" in my mind.

So I know a few people who lost memberships when they went travelling etc after paying a joining fee (hello money) so not sure if this is the case across the board..

The fact is that certain clubs can be more picky on new members and insist on them showing commitment with high fees and thats an example with the grange..

PARlance wrote:
    I've never heard the supermarket reference before and I grew up in retail. Not saying it's not used but I think most people know it from golf.

I'm raising an eyebrow at that. The term originated and was always associated with supermarkets, who try to justify it as a cost for building the supplier into their systems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Grange is a nice course but certainly nothing special. You're paying a premium purely for the location which is fine if you can afford it and are going to be there long term

The Grange is a nice course but certainly nothing special. You're paying a premium purely for the location which is fine if you can afford it and are going to be there long term

Edmondstown and Rathfarnham are in the same area and a lot cheaper. Not as good as the Castle in my opinion but little between them and Grange. Probably open for membership too.

Edmondstown and Rathfarnham are in the same area and a lot cheaper. Not as good as the Castle in my opinion but little between them and Grange. Probably open for membership too.

Edmonstown 5k hello while Stackstown zero hello and 1300 a year ..
    better practice area than the others imo also and always in good nick but **** me the slopes are hard work to play (and walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Thanks for all the replies!

"Hello money" is the term I have heard for golf club entrance fees, never heard of the retail connection. It's a term used all over the posts on this forum, I am surprised using it would cause a dust up.

I can't say how long I will stay local, even though I did buy a house. So probably won't be going down the road any further with Grange, but I had to at least ask!

Edmonstown is maybe something to consider, will try to get a round there and see how I like the course.

Stackstown is a no for me, I am just not a fan of a course with too much elevation changes. I even struggle to enjoy some bits of the O'Meara course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus GreeBo must be on a day off boards today.

"Hello money" is the term I have heard for golf club entrance fees, never heard of the retail connection. It's a term used all over the posts on this forum, I am surprised using it would cause a dust up.

Wouldn't call it a dust up. Just don't think it's a fair description of what it is member owned clubs.

Try googling it and see how it is described.

Rippeditup wrote:
    Edmonstown 5k hello while Stackstown zero hello and 1300 a year .. better practice area than the others imo also and always in good nick but **** me the slopes are hard work to play (and walk)

Edmonstown still much cheaper than Grange. Look at Rathfarnham too. Quite nice. They expanded the course and were open for new members to pay for it.
    Stackstown not my cup of tea.

Edmonstown still much cheaper than Grange. Look at Rathfarnham too. Quite nice. They expanded the course and were open for new members to pay for it.
    Stackstown not my cup of tea.

Not played Rathfarnham much use? I like Stackstown for the fact I can bail up in the evening and practice as the practice areas are nice and always quite. And can get a quick few holes

It’s a punishing course as tight and greens are slick but too much and found going to other courses after playing hard as reading greens is not needed up there due to it being on the side of a mountain

Carazy wrote:
    "Hello money" mentioned in each of the three pieces below.

Those links don't work but yes, the term can fairly be used for commercially run (for profit) clubs that charge an entrance fee. You get more than that joining a member owned facility.

I still am surprised at people never having heard the term applied to supermarkets when it is what it was coined for (and is what Google describes it as.)

Rippeditup wrote:
    Not played Rathfarnham much use? I like Stackstown for the fact I can bail up in the evening and practice as the practice areas are nice and always quite. And can get a quick few holes

Rathfarnham is decent enough. They expanded from 9 to 15 and then to 18 and the new holes all fit in. Tight enough but a lot less hilly than Stackstown (and as easy to get to.)

Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »

A club doesnt have to use an entrance fee to keep people out, you just dont accept their membership? The entrance fee (at least for Grange) is not about keeping people away at all.

PARlance wrote: »

You dont need to keep paying the same sub for the same category, lots of people drop down to lower, cheaper categories if they are going to be away or circumstances change.
    Rippeditup wrote: »
    Edmonstown 5k hello while Stackstown zero hello and 1300 a year ..
    better practice area than the others imo also and always in good nick but **** me the slopes are hard work to play (and walk)
    Whats better about the Stackstown practice area than Grange?
    Grange has a longer driving range (250M vs 210M) has a 6 hole, full length academy course, an approach short game range, a chipping/bunker practice green and a large putting green.
    Whats missing?:confused:

The slopes in stackstown can be annoying, but I suppose you get used to them.
    Edmondstown is a nice course, not sure if they are open for membership though?
    Rathfarnham is better since they added the new holes, but is there still the restriction on what club you can hit off the new par 4?

GreeBo wrote: »

Whats better about the Stackstown practice area than Grange?
    Grange has a longer driving range (250M vs 210M) has a 6 hole, full length academy course, an approach short game range, a chipping/bunker practice green and a large putting green.
    Whats missing?:confused:

Not used the grange one so don't know, for the price Stackstown is pretty class for practice... quality chipping area, bunker area and good putting green alongside a 210yard practice ground that has a raised hitting area for drainage.. (always quite)...

As mentioned previously over and over I wanted to join the grange as I live in the bunglows beside the course and the hello money wasn't a concern for me as its a quality course in a urban area... If I was sure I was staying here I would have joined after COVID as was contacted to join after doing so with stackstown but my wife will have me living in greystones if we are moving to remote working 3 days a week which seems to be the plan going forward for my job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Not used the grange one so don't know, for the price Stackstown is pretty class for practice... quality chipping area, bunker area and good putting green alongside a 210yard practice ground that has a raised hitting area for drainage.. (always quite)...

As mentioned previously over and over I wanted to join the grange as I live in the bunglows beside the course and the hello money wasn't a concern for me as its a quality course in a urban area... If I was sure I was staying here I would have joined after COVID as was contacted to join after doing so with stackstown but my wife will have me living in greystones if we are moving to remote working 3 days a week which seems to be the plan going forward for my job

No worries, I was just pointing out (for everyone!) that Grange has excellent practice facilities these days including 2 driving ranges with room for 15+ people :)

Advertisement