Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time do you spend travelling?

Options
  • 12-07-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

We're looking at options for buying a place and one of the concerns is time spent travelling from commuter towns via rail.

How much time spent travelling is to much time? Do you do it all by car, public transport or both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For the last 4 months... pretty much zero as I have been WFH since March. Before that.. about an hour each way (assuming no problems) by car of mostly motorway across 2 counties.

Thankfully WFH is going to remain a thing as it does take it out of you after a while. I wasn't even in for 9 but when you're not getting home till after 7, too tired to cook and thus eating too many takeaways or snacking, and generally run down, it's not good.

I'd imagine public transport would be even worse. In my case it would be as there's no direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

15 mins each way. Bicycle.

For a while I was in a different office, 90 mins there and 120 back. Rather jump in front of a dart than keep that up. Box apartment + short commute over McMansion and 3rhs in the car a day. Fúck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

7 minute cycle in, 10 home. Or about 15 mins to drive, park and walk.
    College was the last time I had a commute of more than 30 min and I would not consider it again apart from the most dire circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

15 minute cycle there, about the same back. Sometimes I start work at 7AM, it’s a very relaxing and speedy cycle 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jozi wrote: »
    We're looking at options for buying a place and one of the concerns is time spent travelling from commuter towns via rail.

How much time spent travelling is to much time? Do you do it all by car, public transport or both?

I think the whole landscape has changed now. - who in theor right mind is going to sign up to commuting in a public train potentially jammed with virus infected schoolkids who
    for ecomomic reasons are now deemed ‘not infectious’ and who do not have to wear a mask and who travel in large groups together. Ditto buses. If your company has adopeted work from home or can be persuaded to, then it really opens up the range of houses and options. Lets face it - this is an incurable fatal virus for which there is no vaccine and which may damage you differently every time you catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

WFH would change things a lot but I'm not sure how the company I work for will deal with it. Due to the nature of my job I don't think it will be fully possible, it's highly collaborative and needs that face to face interaction. That being said I do hope we may get a couple days WFH, it would means that living further away with a longer commute wouldn't be the as bad.

Thats what I"m really trying to get a feel for, I'm used to a 3km cycle, any commute will be a big change and I'd like to find out what would be considered to long of a commute? We found a great property which is a 10min (or 15-20 depending on station) drive to the nearest stations (6km) followed by 45-50mins on the train. 3 days a week I could definitely hack it, I know some people do longer commutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

20/25 minute commute to town in car, traffic has been great since lockdown but the traffic was never too bad on my route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

90 minutes each way. That's a 30 minute walk and a 60 minute train. 3 hours a day commuting. I absolutely hate it but don't know what else I can do. You'd feel like bawling some mornings. Seriously, seriously hoping that WFH becomes a standard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

20 minutes to get to work and but only about 10 minutes to get home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

45 minutes each way by bicycle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement