Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder cup officially postponed

Options
  • 08-07-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

It’s been confirmed that it has been postponed until 2021, definitely the correct decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    It’s been confirmed that it has been postponed until 2021, definitely the correct decision.

Absolutely the atmosphere makes the Ryder Cup and also allows a more normal qualification system for the players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Wouldn't have minded it going ahead this year with no crowds. Would have preferred actually. What pisses me off most thought is that they won't have one now in 2022. Just becaus the pospone one is no reason for posponing them all after that. Same mistake in 2001. Theres no need to lose half a Ryder cup whenever you half to put one off a year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Inevitable really. Correct decision too imho.

Here's hoping it goes ahead next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Would've been unwatchable without fans imo. Very happy with this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Are you really going to miss USA USA USA USA USA ?

Has Harrington said anything about qualification?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it's for the best, you couldn't bring in the added crowd noises for a degree of atmosphere like the football, just wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Right call tbh. Say what you will about the Americans chanting for their players, it absolutely adds a great atmosphere to the occasion when we smash them :P

We really need USA to win the next one though to keep the tournament relevent. Hopefully tight all the way and that, and decided in the last single on the 18th. Europe winning it again would just kind of devalue it I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

We really need USA to win the next one though to keep the tournament relevent. Hopefully tight all the way and that, and decided in the last single on the 18th. Europe winning it again would just kind of devalue it I think so.

I'm not so sure about that. It's arguably more popular now than it's ever been. Unless it goes the way of the president's cup, where one side goes 20 odd years without winning it, I think it'll be ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit of a gap for an Irish Open I'd suggest

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd rather they played it, it's tough on the guys at the end of their careers, an extra season could make s big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just no way it could go ahead.

What happens if a player, caddie or Captain tests positive the week of or during the tournament?

Also the rate the virus is growing in that part of the States would surely make players question if they would be bothered to turn up at all.

Felexicon wrote: »

What happens if a player, caddie or Captain tests positive the week of or during the tournament?

Also the rate the virus is growing in that part of the States would surely make players question if they would be bothered to turn up at all.

A sub. Like if someone gets any other type of sick. Captains are just a jolly anyway, like money for the captains mates. How many vice captains do they have now ? Used to be when vice captain maint vice captain. A, one, vice captain. Now theres have a dozen.

The current rate isn’t stopping them from playing. It comes down to what’s in it for them. Which isn’t much when comes to Ryder cup.

Trampas wrote: »
    The current rate isn’t stopping them from playing. It comes down to what’s in it for them. Which isn’t much when comes to Ryder cup.

You would have no issue travelling to certain parts of the States at the moment where infection rates are at record highs and growing daily?

You would have no issue travelling to certain parts of the States at the moment where infection rates are at record highs and growing daily?

I think he was talking about the players rather than the fans...

Less fans at a ryder cup than a major (for example)

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think he was talking about the players rather than the fans...

Less fans at a ryder cup than a major (for example)

Yeah I was talking from a players point of view. Especially at a Ryder Cup where you cant stay as isolated as a normal tournament

Less people required for Ryder cup than any pga event but some how Ryder cup is binned and pga tour carries on.

Tours make a fortune from it. Basically they’ll lose a big chunk of change if behind doors.

No fans is just an excuse as if they wanted fans they’d won’t be playing tour events now.

Less people required for Ryder cup than any pga event but some how Ryder cup is binned and pga tour carries on.

Tours make a fortune from it. Basically they’ll lose a big chunk of change if behind doors.

No fans is just an excuse as if they wanted fans they’d won’t be playing tour events now.

I tend to agree, but I would suspect they make more money from coverage than spectators at the ryder cup...maybe they are concerned that sponsors wont pony up ?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I tend to agree, but I would suspect they make more money from coverage than spectators at the ryder cup...maybe they are concerned that sponsors wont pony up ?

Maybe but it’s definitely down to $$$$ Some form or other

• Advertisement

Maybe but it’s definitely down to $$$$ Some form or other
    No, no, no, dont be silly, its about player and fan welfare! :rolleyes:

Advertisement