Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not 6.1 but 9pm news.

Is Sharon wearing fancy hospital scrubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McCullagh in for the 6.1 news gig.

Hope the shave his eyebrows off, and get him to get his head up straight.

I was surprised that Ray Kennedy didnt get it.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

He gets the consolation prize of doing all the weekend evening bulletins.

Hope they train McCullagh to stop making statements and using them as questions?

“ You were convicted of driving over the limit in 2016, that makes you unfit for government, doesn’t it”

Stuff like that ...... not a great appointment imho but not much damage he can do off the auto cue.

Not suited for the programme he on I thought .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Stewball

Ray Kennedy & Sharon Tobin should be the main presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

He's not a particularly clear speaker and has a slightly cynical look on his face all the time. Not sure he's a good fit for news anchor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I like Mc Cullagh when he shows a bit of mischief. News anchor will be a bit more straight laced

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah thought the same myself, he has been shafted somewhat there. At this stage youd wonder did he piss into some producers cornflakes or whats going on in the background.

McCullogh going to the 6.1 is a bit of a downgrade from Prime Time I would have thought so Im surprised he took it. At least on Prime Time he had the opportunity to hold Ministers to account in political interviews that last longer than the 90-120 seconds they last on the 6.1 news. Not that Ministers go on the news all that often anyway. So hes going from being a political correspondent to someone who just reads off an auto cue.

I wonder who might show up in McCulloghs place on Prime Time now. Would Dobbo take it if offered? Or maybe if Sarah McInerney doesnt get the Today show slot permanently then she might end up there. Would imagine the new presenter will have to have the blessing of Miriam anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I always got the impression that the news readers would "graduate" and go into the Current Affairs jobs not the other way around. I reckon this means they will be doing more of the sit down interviews on the sports sofa area to suit his interview style
    Who will get the PrimeTime job? Katie Hannon has presented it afew time I think? or probably 1 of their own reporters getting a promotion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Stewball

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Or maybe if Sarah McInerney doesnt get the Today show slot permanently then she might end up there.

If Sarah McInerney doesn't get the Today show - RTE may as well pack up and go home.

Stewball wrote: »
    If Sarah McInerney doesn't get the Today show - RTE may as well pack up and go home.

Internal politics are going to be in play though, likes of Claire Byrne or Miriam would see themselves as being ahead in the queue for the job on the Today show. Sarah might end up on Prime Time yet as McCulloghs replacement.

Internal politics are going to be in play though, likes of Claire Byrne or Miriam would see themselves as being ahead in the queue for the job on the Today show. Sarah might end up on Prime Time yet as McCulloghs replacement.

No way would they put Miriam in that slot.

Unless they are mad.

They are mad Brendan, thats the problem.

They are mad Brendan, thats the problem.

Know summit M... you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I thought he was doing it already, must have been short term.

I'm sure he'd have been grand as the longterm presenter.

He is a bit wooden though.

Give McCullagh a go I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spakman wrote: »
    He's not a particularly clear speaker and has a slightly cynical look on his face all the time. Not sure he's a good fit for news anchor.

I got the impression he looks frequently bored or pi$$ed off on Prime Time in recent years, except when he's actually getting his teeth into someone for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I got the impression he looks frequently bored or pi$$ed off on Prime Time in recent years, except when he's actually getting his teeth into someone for an interview.

God if he's bored on Prime Time he'll be twice as bored on Six-one. His voice and way of speaking is fine for reporting and interviewing, but as an anchor I think it will annoy many people.

I am surprised that Ray Kennedy and Sharon Tobin weren't picked, while moving Cáitroina Perry to Lunch Time.

Elmo wrote: »
    God if he's bored on Prime Time he'll be twice as bored on Six-one. His voice and way of speaking is fine for reporting and interviewing, but as an anchor I think it will annoy many people.

I am surprised that Ray Kennedy and Sharon Tobin weren't picked, while moving Cáitroina Perry to Lunch Time.

McCullagh is a very strange choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes I think it's a strange move for him. I don't think he was ever a News reader before. Ray Kennedy tweeted that he'd be doing the weekend Six news.

Who'll go to Prime Time? Maybe a job for a correspondent returning from abroad?

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »

Washington correspondent :/

I’d say Sarah mcinerny will get PT.

Washington correspondent :/

I’d say Sarah mcinerny will get PT.

They have only just handed her the morning show.
    I don't see them giving her Prime Time as well.

Richard Downes might be given a job to earn his paycheck. He does a piece for Prime Time about once a month. :eek:

imme wrote: »
    They have only just handed her the morning show.
    I don't see them giving her Prime Time as well.

Richard Downes might be given a job to earn his paycheck. He does a piece for Prime Time about once a month. :eek:

Today hasn’t been given to her yet she’s just standing in, while Pat Kenny was on both Today & Prime Time.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Yes I think it's a strange move for him. I don't think he was ever a News reader before. Ray Kennedy tweeted that he'd be doing the weekend Six news.

Poor Ray Kennedy, shafted again. Agree with others that he is a bit wooden but I dont want all singing and dancing news anchors either. Ray is a solid pro but always seems to get overlooked as he was before when Perry got the gig.

You can always tell who is the lowest in the RTE newsroom pecking order by who gets landed with reading the Sunday 9pm news on a Bank Holiday weekend.

You can always tell who is the lowest in the RTE newsroom pecking order by who gets landed with reading the Sunday 9pm news on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Brian Finn

Today hasn’t been given to her yet she’s just standing in, while Pat Kenny was on both Today & Prime Time.

I think we all know that it's hers

Did Pat do Prime Time or the Front line, which was a replacement for Questions and Answers, a pet project.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

icdg wrote: »

Claire Byrne is now favourite according to the Indo.
    I was surprised to see that earlier.

Will the bookies be happy or pissed off that this speculation came out.

Sarah mcinerney has eaten anyone alive whose gone on the today show in the last few weeks apart from Mary 'I will seek advice' Kenny this morning.

She went very easy on old Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

imme wrote: »
    Claire Byrne is now favourite according to the Indo.
    I was surprised to see that earlier.

Will the bookies be happy or pissed off that this speculation came out.

Sarah mcinerney has eaten anyone alive whose gone on the today show in the last few weeks apart from Mary 'I will seek advice' Kenny this morning.

She went very easy on old Mary.

I thought she gave her exactly enough rope to completely hang herself. It was excellent radio.

In no way could Sarah be accused of bullying or haranguing her, she let Mary do all the damage herself.

Best interview I've heard in a good while!

• Advertisement

I got the impression.
    Slightly OT, but do many people get your username these days? ;)

Advertisement