Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

piplip87 wrote: »
    When back to school allowance, add on to weekly money for the children, childrens allowance are all taken into account she is on about 30k a year in benefits. Without medical bills, how much money does somebody working have to earn to have 30K a year, with 30 or 40 quid a week in rent and no medical bills, no childcare costs etc.... She cant even pay her rent ? Thats absolutely disgraceful.

I know of some primary schools and they give out books, uniforms, etc to families in need also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Serious question. What's a reasonable job? Ballpark salary?

A 200k house you would be oin what 30k?

So 15-16 quid an hour at 40 hours a week. Are you saying most people cant earn that when you have companies crying out for educated staff

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

mick087 wrote: »
    The woman in question i would say would take up a job if the wage was fair.
    I think I’ve got more chances of winning the EuroMillions jackpot than of her taking up a job.
    The minimum wage is very low and i understand why anyone would not work for such a low wage. How anyone can justify a solictor being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created.
    The issue is, we’ve created a society where it’s more advantageous to sit at home on your butt and let the workers subsidise the feckless. If welfare was reduced to the point where it didn’t pay to be unemployed, then our economy could contribute to better outcomes for all.
    Wages are tied to scarcity and demand; a solicitor or accountant has more training than a cleaner. There are more people equipped to clean than there are equipped to be a solicitor, so solicitors get paid more. If you want to earn more money it’s up to you to gain skills in that area. Its the same for electricians, nurses, stock traders, whatever. And if you’ve put the time and energy into upskilling, working hard etc, you deserve a decent quality of life. If you’ve not a significant effort to better yourself, then you should be grateful for any assistance and not be arrogant and delusional to demand a five bedroom free house next door to your Ma’s. Choices are reserved for workers.

And no im not a wind up i believe in what i do.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

How many people believe she actually even spent a night in the car? They lob a load of stuff into the boot from wherever they're really staying, Kitty Holland probably brings some of it herself and arranges it for the photo op - ''be sure to get a teddy in shot, don't have one? no problem I've got one with me for emergencies''.

............How anyone can justify a solictor being paid more than a cleaner is beyond me but this is the society we have created..............

This is really simple.............. if you train for a 5km race and get yourself in decent ish shape you'll likely run it in under 23 minutes.

If you are obese and don't train and eat like a pig you won't even enter the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so a person on 30k can buy a house?

two people on 30k can buy a house.

single house purchases are gone, the only way you're getting back single income affordability is to put the majority of women back in the home... which obviously should not and will not happen. But that said a single person on 30k could get a mortgage for 105k with a 10.5k deposit leaves them able to purchase a 115k apartment which would buy you something not in Dublin no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

single house purchases are gone, the only way you're getting back single income affordability is to put the majority of women back in the home... which obviously should not and will not happen.

so no, a person on 30k cannot buy a home, noting it was the rapid rise in the availability of credit that actually caused the rapid rise in house prices, little or nothing to do with women entering the work force

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

why talk about work this scank will never work 100% free loader and the 5 sproges will be no better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

single house purchases are gone, the only way you're getting back single income affordability is to put the majority of women back in the home... which obviously should not and will not happen. But that said a single person on 30k could get a mortgage for 105k with a 10.5k deposit leaves them able to purchase a 115k apartment which would buy you something not in Dublin no bother.

What if both of the people on 30k are working in Dublin?

Working people should be able to afford a home reasonably close to where they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why a solictor gets more money?

Well they go to school, they learn, they go to college, they learn, then they go and get apprentership, they learn and then end up witha good job normally in thousands or euro of debt, pay that off and then happy days.....

That route is open to everyone, same as getting any good job is open to everyone.

Sitting on your hole and not going to school, not getting a good leaving, not going to college, sitting around complaining because everyone else is doing better than you, of course that is also an option.

Turning and asking why someone who done option 1 v option 2 gets paid more is the height od stupidity to me.....what are you asking everyone to reward someone for not bothering their ass working or getting educated?

The cleaner goes to work learns there skill puts there life on the line each and every day to keep you in a safe and clean environment. They pick up the rubbish you leave behind clean the toilet you use.
    They sweep the floors clean the windows they mop the floors you walk on. They hoover wash sterilize disinfect and work bloody hard.

If cleaners moan then maybe its because of people thinking they are stupid because they didnt go to college Maybe they moan because people look down at them and think they can treat them in such a bad way. Maybe people show them no respect.

It takes many years and much skill to become a good cleaner and its a vital necessary job.

No person should have the right to think they are better than anyone else university educated all not.

A solicitor is not be paid more than a cleaner.
    There is no reason why there is not more equity in pay.

For the record cleaners are not lazy or stupid.
    Most are over worked underpaid and treated like dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I hope you don’t mind me asking Mick. Did it take you long to regain your typing skills after being kicked in the head by the horse?

:D

so no, a person on 30k cannot buy a home, noting it was the rapid rise in the availability of credit that actually caused the rapid rise in house prices, little or nothing to do with women entering the work force

theres 427 properties on daft between 50k-125k and atlas 2 bedrooms. Those are all affordable to a single buyer on 30k.

Working people should be able to afford a home reasonably close to where they work.

Sadly they have to buy elsewhere and commute, nothing new , urban sprawl has been happening for a long time. daft.ie now classes drogheda and portarlington as 'Dublin commuter towns'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

30k , two people on 30k in a household can afford a house.

That's if there are two people.

So, a single person would need to be on about €60k.

That's a fair bit above the median wage for 2019 of €45,256.

Source https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwil9qu2wMLqAhX5VRUIHYeDC0EQFjADegQIDBAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2F2019%2F0620%2F1056481-cso-geographical-incomes%2F&usg=AOvVaw398z1Fmz_lkYY-3fOICVa7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

piplip87 wrote: »
    When back to school allowance, add on to weekly money for the children, childrens allowance are all taken into account she is on about 30k a year in benefits. Without medical bills, how much money does somebody working have to earn to have 30K a year, with 30 or 40 quid a week in rent and no medical bills, no childcare costs etc.... She cant even pay her rent ? Thats absolutely disgraceful

No more information is needed here she chose to sleep in her car instead of taking an offer of housing an hour away. TULSA should become involved here. This woman is making her children sleep in a car instead of a house she was offered.... That is child abuse.

Wouldnt be surprised if she offered to sell the children to Tusla.
    The life she has given then is appalling. She clearly has a use for them as a bargaining chip.

yet again, a single person on 30k can buy a 125k property , of which there are hundreds available...just not in Dublin and due to the modern fascination of most women being gainfully employed, the vast majority of mortgage applications are dual income and thus with dual income buying power.

theres 427 properties on daft between 50k-125k and atlas 2 bedrooms. Those are all affordable to a single buyer on 30k.

Are these properties located beside where the prospective purchaser works?

If I'm a cleaner in Dublin on €30k, what good is one of those cheap apartments to me if they are located in Leitrim?

Its couples who buy houses nowadays. Thats who are competing to buy houses.

Single people cant compete with buying power of couples unless they are on way above average salary.
    It was the doubling up of household income that had the biggest effect on house prices. And now we cant go back, it will always take at least two incomes to buy a house in normal markets.

Are these properties located beside where the prospective purchaser works?

If I'm a cleaner in Dublin on €30k, what good is one of those cheap apartments to me if they are located in Leitrim?

single income average salary applicants purchasing property in Dublin is not going to happen again, that ship has sailed.

yet again, a single person on 30k can buy a 125k property , of which there are hundreds available...just not in Dublin and due to the modern fascination of most women being gainfully employed, the vast majority of mortgage applications are dual income and thus with dual income buying power.

This is what €125k will buy you in Dublin at the moment.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/property-for-sale/?mxp=125000&cc_id=c1&s%5Bmxp%5D=125000&s%5Bsort_by%5D=price&s%5Bsort_type%5D=d

6 apartments and the rest are sites.

I think there are a lot more people in need of cheap housing than there are cheap houses availabe.

• Advertisement

ive noticed many who believe in neoclassical economics suffer with whats called dichotomous thinking, i.e. black and white thinking, but this is not a true reflection of human behavior, we are in fact complex emotional beings, i suspect neoclassical was actually designed by people with the same issues.

again, the rapid rise in house prices globally has actually occurred due to the thinking, rising asset prices are always good, so this is what has occurred, largely due to the increase in availability of credit, it has little or nothing to do with the rise of women in the workforce

This is true. But problem is supply. Most of the house built from here on in are going to be social houses.

single income average salary applicants purchasing property in Dublin is not going to happen again, that ship has sailed.

But Dublin is where the work is. So for a hell of a lot of people, the €125k for whoever wants a viable house/apartment isn't a reality.

This is what €125k will buy you in Dublin at the moment.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/property-for-sale/?mxp=125000&cc_id=c1&s%5Bmxp%5D=125000&s%5Bsort_by%5D=price&s%5Bsort_type%5D=d

6 apartments and the rest are sites.

I think there are a lot more people in need of cheap housing than there are cheap houses availabe.

so we don't have a housing crisis, we have a Dublin housing crisis. If I went on to daft and keyed in a budget of 400k and picked only Dublin 4 I'm sure Id produce almost no results too.

basing your affordability argument on Dublin is not in any way reasonable.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its couples who buy houses nowadays. Thats who are competing to buy houses.

Single people cant compete with buying power of couples unless they are on way above average salary.
    It was the doubling up of household income that had the biggest effect on house prices. And now we cant go back, it will always take at least two incomes to buy a house in normal markets.

so again, no, most people cannot buy a home

again, its been the increase in the availability of credit that has largely caused the rapid rise in house prices, this is a global problem due to the fact we have jointly believed rising asset prices are always good, as the wealth trickles down, this wealth trickles down in the most common form of money, i.e. debt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The cleaner goes to work learns there skill puts there life on the line each and every day to keep you in a safe and clean environment. They pick up the rubbish you leave behind clean the toilet you use.
    They sweep the floors clean the windows they mop the floors you walk on. They hoover wash sterilize disinfect and work bloody hard.

If cleaners moan then maybe its because of people thinking they are stupid because they didnt go to college Maybe they moan because people look down at them and think they can treat them in such a bad way. Maybe people show them no respect.

It takes many years and much skill to become a good cleaner and its a vital necessary job.

No person should have the right to think they are better than anyone else university educated all not.

The solicitor can do the cleaning job and do the solicitor job
    The cleaner can do the cleaning job but not the solicitor job.
    If there were 20,000 solicitors in the country would the pay rate would fall?

so again, no, most people cannot buy a home

again, its been the increase in the availability of credit that has largely caused the rapid rise in house prices, this is a global problem due to the fact we have jointly believed rising asset prices are always good, as the wealth trickles down, this wealth trickles down in the most common form of money, i.e. debt

most people can buy a home, just not in Dublin. stop reverting the argument because one of our 26 counties of the republic has a demand that far outstrips supply.

so we don't have a housing crisis, we have a Dublin housing crisis. If I went on to daft and keyed in a budget of 400k and picked only Dublin 4 I'm sure Id produce almost no results too.

basing your affordability argument on Dublin is not in any way reasonable.

Of course it is, if the person is from Dublin and works in Dublin. Then the price of houses/apartments in Dublin is relevant. What good is a cut-price apartment in rural Mayo to the person working in a low paying job in Dublin?

It's almost akin to me or you struggling to make ends meet and someone telling us that the cost of living in Chad is cheaper. Not much use to me and you, is it?

most people can buy a home, just not in Dublin. stop reverting the argument because one of our 26 counties of the republic has a demand that far outstrips supply.

and we re back to neoclassical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Many cleaners are not lazy or stupid, and yes they are vital, but there’s also more people with their skills than there are people with solicitors skills.

It’s the same if you go to the store in December and want to buy strawberries. There’s strawberries available, but they cost more than bananas. There’s an abundance of bananas so they‘re cheaper. The strawberries are harder to grow and transport, and in December there’s less of them, so there’s a supply and demand issue which drives the price of strawberries up. Bananas are abundant, they’re easy to transport, so their price is lower and remains constant.

I certainly don’t think I’m better than a cleaner, but I’ve got cleaning skills. Most cleaners would not have my IT skills or my education (which I’ve paid for without any grants), so I’m a strawberry while a cleaner is a banana. I agree with you that all professions deserve respect, but not all professions deserve equal pay. I also think perhaps it’s easier to take the position of ‘equal pay for unequal skills’ when you’ve not spent a decade full time while studying.

Advertisement