Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

some precise way way to get address on google streetview?

Options
  • 28-06-2020 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

i went to google streetview to view an estate in the uk where someone I know lives. I searched for number 43 but when i clicked on the little red beacon went to number 78 as per the side bar. No guide as to what way to go i could not find it. Is there some precise way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you know the street name and the house number, search for that address. Having the exact postcode may also help.

Note that Google Maps can be hit and miss when it comes to addresses and sometimes ends up on the wrong street.

There are also other websites like https://www.openstreetmap.org/ Another option is to do a Google search (not a Google Maps search). However, both Google Maps and OSM are only as good as the data they are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eircode.ie, you can search by address or eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote: »
    eircode.ie, you can search by address or eircode.

Not in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

UK postcode is not as precise as Eircode, so it won't point to an individual house.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

i went to google streetview to view an estate in the uk where someone I know lives. I searched for number 43 but when i clicked on the little red beacon went to number 78 as per the side bar. No guide as to what way to go i could not find it. Is there some precise way

Sometimes there's gaps in the Streetview coverage on Google Maps.

When you zoom in, then click and hold the Streetview icon (little orange figure) and drag it across to the map, only the 'blue' roads are covered.
    New developments might not be covered. Or there could have been a technical fault too.

In regards to a precise location definition, 'what three words' is a great way of pin-pointing a location, rather than using coordinates for latitude and longitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

lil5 wrote: »
    Sometimes there's gaps in the Streetview coverage on Google Maps.

When you zoom in, then click and hold the Streetview icon (little orange figure) and drag it across to the map, only the 'blue' roads are covered.
    New developments might not be covered. Or there could have been a technical fault too.

In regards to a precise location definition, 'what three words' is a great way of pin-pointing a location, rather than using coordinates for latitude and longitude.
    what does 'what three words' mean ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

what does 'what three words' mean ?

I had to Google it too. https://what3words.com/

I just notice you can find your "twin" locations. My home's three words are the same three words as places in Sweden and Australia. Hours of fun!

Advertisement