Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Switch wires

Options
  • 08-07-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering my light switch has 3 Natural blue wires and I've got a new light switch that needs a natural wire and wondering do I just pick one from the 3 wires or do I add another wire from the other end of the terminal strip into the light switch?

https://ibb.co/Nn85w9X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

It doesn't sound correct having to terminate a neutral into the light switch. Usually just a common (Brown) and switch wire (Brown)

Can you share another photo of the back of the new switch

P.S. Ex electrician here

probably a smart switch of some sort.
    tomstud12 wrote: »

or do I add another wire from the other end of the terminal strip into the light switch?

https://ibb.co/Nn85w9X

This is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tomstud12

probably a smart switch of some sort.

This is correct!
    Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    It doesn't sound correct having to terminate a neutral into the light switch. Usually just a common (Brown) and switch wire (Brown)

Can you share another photo of the back of the new switch

P.S. Ex electrician here

Yes it is a smart switch it needs a Live in: Brown or red color, live out: Blue to black, and a Natural: blue

Your switch in the picture looks like a 2 way switch.
    Is it switched somewhere else ?
    That could be a problem for your smart switch.

Edit- Its not 2 way!

Your switch in the picture looks like a 2 way switch.
    Is it switched somewhere else ?
    That could be a problem for your smart switch.

It's one switch turns on just the light in this one room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

tomstud12 wrote: »
    Yes it is a smart switch it needs a Live in: Brown or red color, live out: Blue to black, and a Natural: blue

You need to add a neutral link between the switch and the neutral block. You cannot simply disconnect 1 neutral from the block though as you would lose your neutral circuit. You need an extra piece of neutral cable to go between both.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    You need to add a neutral link between the switch and the neutral block. You cannot simply disconnect 1 neutral from the block though as you would lose your neutral circuit. You need an extra piece of neutral cable to go between both.

Okay great yes that's what I was gonna do just wasn't to sure thanks

Advertisement