Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Frame Self Build

Options
  • 06-07-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

In the early stages of a self build project and am seriously considering a timber frame house. My main issue is surrounding the heating system. I want to use an A2W UFH heating system but my concern is with the first floor set up. What is the best way to detail this to get the best performance and what impact might this have in the structural design of the TF. Obviously cost is a major issue here and don’t want to be stung with hidden costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

I have a very well insulated timber frame house and find that the upstairs doesn't need heating if downstairs is heated, you could use high efficiency radiators upstairs if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Mr Gumby wrote: »
    I have a very well insulated timber frame house and find that the upstairs doesn't need heating if downstairs is heated, you could use high efficiency radiators upstairs if needed.

We've ordinary rads upstairs but double the area of what would have been required with an oil boiler. Our house wasn't that well built but even so we rarely need to turn them on.
    I'm sure you could also get a small gas boiler to boost the output temp from the heat pump to supply smaller rads and hot water cylinder but you'd need controls to prevent too hot water entering the UFH or returning to the heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I've just put UFH in a 50mm liquid screed upstairs in a timber frame house heated with A2W. No issue in doing it once the timber is designed correctly. Use things like timber I-Joists or Metal Web Joists to keep the cost down and they're lighter and easier to work with.

If going the self build route get a timber frame company. They'll take your architect designed drawings and convert them into timber frame drawings working out the size of timbers, spans, etc. They'll come and erect the structure and then you can finish out the rest. I've used Long Life Structures for projects in Galway, Dublin and Kildare including housing estates but lots of other similar companies exist. Having the one company design and erect the structure makes it very easy to sign off. It will get it up quickly too which is important in the Irish climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Dudda wrote: »
    I've just put UFH in a 50mm liquid screed upstairs in a timber frame house heated with A2W. No issue in doing it once the timber is designed correctly. Use things like timber I-Joists or Metal Web Joists to keep the cost down and they're lighter and easier to work with.

If going the self build route get a timber frame company. They'll take your architect designed drawings and convert them into timber frame drawings working out the size of timbers, spans, etc. They'll come and erect the structure and then you can finish out the rest.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea of the cost of TF when compared with conventional masonry construction? I would hope to have a block outer skin with maybe a small section of stonework so I’m guessing the cost will be similar to masonry or probably even more expensive. I know there’s are big savings on labour going with TF rather than masonry but that cost would be absorbed by all the extra aspects of the TF design, engineering etc.

Advertisement