Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With GP COVID-19 restrictions of 15 mins I cannot get treatment

Options
  • 07-07-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone know of GP practice in Galway City that might treat a patient beyond the 15 mins Covid-19 restrictions for special case? Have high iron in my blood (condition called Iron Overload) - too much iron is toxic and attacks the organs.

Was diagnosed end of last year, shoved onto hospital waiting list, then Covid came and froze that list.

A month ago my GP tells me some GPs do the Phlebotomy (removing large quantities of blood) needed to treat it. She has referred me to one but due to the restrictions of 15 mins they will not see me until restrictions lifted.

It is a dangerous condition and I notice more and more symptoms over the past few months. So any information to help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

As of last year, people with haemochromatosis can donate blood... maybe ask your doctor if that is a good option in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

blueshark2 wrote: »
    As of last year, people with haemochromatosis can donate blood... maybe ask your doctor if that is a good option in your situation.

Not available at the mobile clinics that operate in the west, you would have to travel to Dublin or Cork to donate as a haemochromatosis donor.
    Last time I gave blood that was the position, check if it's been updated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I am very sorry to hear of the way you have been let down by our "health" service. It is truly disgraceful and upsetting. I cannot understand how a GP can refuse to treat someone who needs treatment urgently. As you are in a potentially dangerous situation, could you ask your GP to refer you to A&E? This would mean that you wouldn't be charged for treatment. If your GP refuses to refer you, you can go to A&E anyway and pay the charge. Best of luck.

I too have haemachromatosis and attend the clinic in UHG. I had to call last week for advice and a lovely nurse called me back and gave me some advice. Maybe this might be an option for you. The phone number is 091542301

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

blueshark2 wrote: »

Yes I looked into that. I cannot donate until I have had the first phlebotomy and had my Iron levels reduced. Thanks though. Once this is sorted I will donate.

• Advertisement

I too have haemachromatosis and attend the clinic in UHG. I had to call last week for advice and a lovely nurse called me back and gave me some advice. Maybe this might be an option for you. The phone number is 091542301

Thank you for the number - I will ring and see if I can get advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ironcage wrote: »
    Thank you for the number - I will ring and see if I can get advice

Let us know how you get on.
    Good luck, I hope they'll help you out. I'm amazed that your GP has not put you in touch with someone to treat you. I'd be thinking of moving on if I was you.

I've heard a lot of people say recently that their GP has very reticent to see them for non-Covid related conditions. I know one person who rang with an important issue and wanted to see the Dr and when they couldn't be dissuaded by the secretary was told they should bear in mind the risks and that after considering the risks only 3 people had chosen to visit the surgery in question last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Not available at the mobile clinics that operate in the west, you would have to travel to Dublin or Cork to donate as a haemochromatosis donor.
    Last time I gave blood that was the position, check if it's been updated though.

I never heard of this limitation, on giveblood.ie it says...

"Many Hereditary Haemochromatosis (HH) patients can now become regular blood donors at all blood donation clinics nationwide, including local community clinics."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've heard a lot of people say recently that their GP has very reticent to see them for non-Covid related conditions. I know one person who rang with an important issue and wanted to see the Dr and when they couldn't be dissuaded by the secretary was told they should bear in mind the risks and that after considering the risks only 3 people had chosen to visit the surgery in question last week.

I've heard this too, it seems to be chalk and cheese depending on your doc. Mine offered call/video appointment but then was no problem when I needed to go in for an exam for an injury.

Thanks - took a while to get through as they running at a third capacity but they were very good when I got through.

• Advertisement

Took a while to get through as they on low capacity. Good thing I rang as they had not yet checked my referral letter and were booked up for the month but because I rang they checked and saw that iron levels were high enough to get me bumped up to cancellation list. Was finally seen yesterday and due for venesection in two weeks. They were really good, very helpful, but if I had not approached them directly on it I would still be waiting to hear anything.

Advertisement