Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Neighbours

Options
  • 06-07-2020 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

I moved into new house about 8 months ago, it's semi detached.

The week I moved in I couldn't take time off work during the week and I had a bed ordered so one of my friends came round and let the delivery guys in....and my new neighbour (the one im attached to) questioned her as to if it was her that was moving in.

When he heard it was a single, male in late 30s he was apparently horrified as he thought it was a family moving in and obviously thought I'd be having raves every weekend.

I met him myself at the weekend.....I had left the house at 9am to go collect my nephew and was back around 11.30am....I had left the outside light on by mistake and the first thing he said to me was I need to turn my light off as we are all trying to conserve energy and save the planet.
    Then he told me that everyone in the cul de sac were there about 15-20 years and they all got on well and it's v quiet (which is true)...so if I was any trouble "we'll come around to your door with hoods on". He's in his 50s and in the army.
    I passed no remarks really and laughed it off as he's obviously a bit of an eejit....I've had a lot worse said to me in my time...and in the 8 months I've been here there's a lot more noise comes from their house than mine.
    He's so odd though, one day will say hello the next would walk past you.....I'm used to it now but thinking back it was a horrible way to welcome a new neighbour. Ive spoken to a few others around and they're all v nice, it's just unfortunate that this asshole is right beside me. I was talking to someone at the weekend who knows him and couldn't praise him enough which is why it's come to mind again.....he is obviously someway personable!

Has anyone else any similar experiences or odd neighbours and how did it turn out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go about your business, keep to yourself and live your life.....

No time for tools like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

i would just ignore him and carry on with your own business,pay no heed and he will soon get fed up of hes stupid mind games and remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People can be a little odd alright, some army types can be a little odd, unsure if it's their environment that brings out the oddness or if it was already there. Have worked with a couple of ex army, mental health and addiction problems, particularly alcoholism, would be common enough, add in suck it up army attitude, strangely enough produces odd behaviour, oh ive also experienced bullying from such types. Of course there's also the types of true gents. I'd continue to be pleasant and respectful, you're not the arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭billyhead

As already said just go about your day say hello when you see him and that's all you can do. Ignore his bull**** if he stops and chats. You get gob****es everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

My next door neighbour thinks he owns the space outside the house, hes knocked in twice now asking me to move it!

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote:
    My next door neighbour thinks he owns the space outside the house, hes knocked in twice now asking me to move it!

Did you ask him, how do you move space?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You sound like you would be a good addition to the neighborhood, no mad noise, no mad stuff, etc.

Give it a few weeks and see how things pan out.

Do not be bullied though, stand your ground. In a past life I had to deal with odd neighbours, they were there forever and did not like new blood.

I charmed the life out of them like giving a box of biscuits and a hello how are you. Some people just don't like change. But they were ok in the end. First things first, no hassle and back off. Plenty of time for that if needs be, but not at first.

You sound like you would be a good addition to the neighborhood, no mad noise, no mad stuff, etc.

Give it a few weeks and see how things pan out.

Do not be bullied though, stand your ground. In a past life I had to deal with odd neighbours, they were there forever and did not like new blood.

I charmed the life out of them like giving a box of biscuits and a hello how are you. Some people just don't like change. But they were ok in the end. First things first, no hassle and back off. Plenty of time for that if needs be, but not at first.

It's 8 months he is there..... He needs to continue with his life and give a rat's a#s what your man thinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's 8 months he is there..... He needs to continue with his life and give a rat's a#s what your man thinks....

Uh, OK, but the point still stands. Start as you mean to go on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I moved into a new house recently and a few of the neighbours are nice and friendly... apart from the ones who are right next to me. I spotted them spying on me through gaps in the fence 3 times now. I give a friendly hello when I pass them, I don't really want to be best buddies with neighbours to be honest but they definitely have something against me for some bizarre reason even though we haven't chatted since I introduced myself on the first day. Some people are just weirdos.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Did you ask him, how do you move space?

Sorry i meant the car space on the public road outside the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

TheW1zard wrote: »

Did you actually move the car? can he not park his car in his front garden?

I moved into a new house recently and a few of the neighbours are nice and friendly... apart from the ones who are right next to me. I spotted them spying on me through gaps in the fence 3 times now. I give a friendly hello when I pass them, I don't really want to be best buddies with neighbours to be honest but they definitely have something against me for some bizarre reason even though we haven't chatted since I introduced myself on the first day. Some people are just weirdos.

Fill up the cracks or put in a hedge

People become very protective and in many cases believe they own everything out front....

Wouldn't entertain that.

messrs wrote: »
    Did you actually move the car? can he not park his car in his front garden?

It gets better. Its 1 and a half spaces really.
    So he wanted me to move and block my driveway, so he could park there and not block his driveway!
    We both have 2 cars

TheW1zard wrote:

Sorry I was only taking the piss, couldn't resist

People become very protective and in many cases believe they own everything out front....

Wouldn't entertain that.

I didnt, i said if the spot is free id park there as its a public road. Only moved in, nice way to introduce yourself alright

TheW1zard wrote:
    It gets better. Its 1 and a half spaces really. So he wanted me to move and block my driveway, so he could park there and not block his driveway! We both have 2 cars

Get the fcuk, first come, first served

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

It gets better. Its 1 and a half spaces really.
    So he wanted me to move and block my driveway, so he could park there and not block his driveway!
    We both have 2 cars

Thats crazy!! Not sticking up for him but maybe previous tenants to you didnt have car so he was used to having it for himself and now doesn't like that he has to share!!
    As above poster said first come first served - if you get there first take the spot he will just have to park somewhere else! Its a public road so spot doesnt belong to anyone regardless of whose house its directly outside

If he threatened you, report him to the defence forces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

If he threatened you, report him to the defence forces

Never thought of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

After a few more interactions/over time you'll become less exotic and interesting. As others have said just maintain a quick hello, maybe a bit of small talk but don't indulge him too much in case it becomes a habit.

Widow next door to us used to wait til we would arrive home to appear at her front door 'cleaning' or even lean out the upstairs window as if she's polishing the exterior window sill. I used to be nice and friendly with her but it was becoming far too regular of a deliberate thing on her part and shes not even a nice lady, gossips loudly about the other neighbours, most of whom hate her. Quick hello and into the house and she soon reduced this carry on, although she still does it if she has something specific to gossip about. If we went out the back she would pop up through a gap in the fence. We built a great strong fence, she still tried to get our attention by singing to herself out there but we just ignore her. Poor old bat must do nothing but listen to our movements so she's ready to appear when we are coming or going. It's incredibly invasive and plenty of people tell us we're just not sympathetic to her loneliness but try living next to it and you'd see how it encroaches on your privacy. Nip it in the bud before he sees you as someone who actually wants to talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There is always one on any street that you find out after a while everyone else thinks is a dose, so you were perhaps lucky to find him so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

One of my neighbours actually leaves a bag of cement and cones, he built a driveway on the side of the road that cars park which he shouldn't have done in the first place, he's also an oddball, always one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 anton.gall

plant a proper front/back hedge, out of sight, out of mind :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I had a neighbour in Cork back in the day I really did not like .
    Our first disagreement was on parking , each house had a driveway for one car space and everybody else parked their car in front of their house .
    The width of the house was quite small and we had a Starlet and a Corolla , If i parked the Corolla in the driveway and the starlet outside up to the boundary of my house I could get the corolla out of the driveway , if i did it the other way round the corolla outside would come over the driveway entrance and you would have to move one car to get the other out .

he though had two cars that were too long for this to work , so as he most times got home before me would park leaving his driveway clear but coming over the boundary on my side , now meaning that if with the Starlet parked outside the driveway would be blocked.

I mentioned this to him and he basically said tough luck pal.

Then one night he called round saying his baby was trying to sleep and the music coming from the house was too loud and keeping it awake , I had an office at the back of the house and I often listened to music while in there , I assumed I had left the music on and apologised and ran upstairs to turn it off but I had not left music on . And we had been in the sitting room watching a documentary on spelling bees , so it could not have come from that . I went out into the garden to see if I could hear music coming from somewhere else and nada.

He always gave me weird looks when we passed in the morning or evening glares and the like .
    About 6 months after we moved in Mrs Bandana Boy had one of her oldest friends come for a visit , she was staying for a few days and mentioned she would be going out for dinner with one of her friends from college one of the nights .
    Anyway turns out our neighbour was her friend , and she had nothing but nice things to say and could not believe the story when I told her ,we got reintroduced through her and he was very pleasant while she stayed ,but as soon as she left and for the remaining 4 years I lived there the same awkward parking and glares.

nothing queer as folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The on street parking area seems to be and issue with unreasonable neighbours taking more than is a fair compromise

Our neighbours would park completely in front of our garden because they liked to leave total free access to their drive. We would have to park elsewhere even though there would be enough room for two cars and both driveways a little bit blocked.

Have come to a compromise of sorts where we park halfway across our drive, leaving just enough for access in and out. They still have full access.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Have come to a compromise of sorts where we park halfway across our drive, leaving just enough for access in and out. They still have full access.

Ah, you might find that that's not actually a compromise.

I find when you park arse ways it changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

One of our neighbours got one of those cheap fire pit things. Black Smoke billowing up like smoke signals. Whatever way the wind was blowing the smoke was going right into the house behind. Id say it was coming in through vents. Say there will be words had soon.

I would not say they are odd....just strange that they would not see that amount of black smoke would annoy someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement